Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: 2012 NBA Mock Draft

Re: 2012 NBA Mock Draft

If Wes Matthews can play in the NBA, and he can, Jae Crowder can play in the NBA. Just watch.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Scrap where there any picks you didn't like?? The NBA Draft is becoming more and more of a crap shoot. Look at all the Freshman who were drafted high as opposed to the Sophomores his season. It seems like teams like the luster but after another season in college that luster sure wears off. The second round is even more of a head scratcher because often times you don't know what the team is doing and the 2nd rounders often have a difficult time sticking.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Minnesota goes with Hummel. Like the pick. He can shoot both off the dribble and going through screens, good athlete with questionable knees. Productive. Might be a nice guy to have behind Budinger and Wiliams as a SF and as a roaming four behind Love.
    I was browsing though this thread and saw this. I can't believe a team would draft Hummel. Nice player but he couldn't practice last year at Purdue. When he was on the court you could see his body break down and his game head south when he is on the court for too long. If the guy can't play a 35 game regular season how is he going to handle an 82 game NBA season?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Scrap where there any picks you didn't like??
    This is a good year for talent. There's a lot of it out there that can help teams, assuming they work at their craft.

The biggest losers in the draft, IMO, were the Cavs (though I like the addition of Zeller), the Mavericks, and Memphis. (That's of team that could have helped themselves, but drafted poorly.

I don't like any of Dallas' picks. Not one. I think Waiters was picked way too high (though I like his game). Same for Terrence Ross.

I think Myers Leonard is going to get his coach fired sooner rather than later.

Andre Drummond has major question marks, but was a good gamble for Detroit that low.

Kendall Marshall is going to be a bust who will be lucky to make it five years in the league.

The 76er choice of Harkless was a mistake, especially considering they already have two swing guys who play his position, are better than he is, and aren't likely to share their position(s). (Though I like the addition of Moultrie.)

The Rockets, aside from the pick of Lamb, have again chosen power forwards. That's five of them on their roster right now. And none of those five look to be a star, but all are really similar to each other. And none can shoot beyond 15 feet.

Jared Cunningham was an extreme reach who can't shoot.

Wroten is worse. And a bad teammate. And lazy.

Mies Plumlee looks great, but hasn't produced since high school.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I was browsing though this thread and saw this. I can't believe a team would draft Hummel. Nice player but he couldn't practice last year at Purdue. When he was on the court you could see his body break down and his game head south when he is on the court for too long. If the guy can't play a 35 game regular season how is he going to handle an 82 game NBA season?
    At 15-20 minutes a night, I'm guessing he can be effective. I'm also guessing that team doctors were pretty thorough in checking him out. As a shooter, he's top notch. He's got decent quickness, especially for a roaming four or a big three. Defensively, he'll need to improve, but that's the way it is with most of these guys. He's got a good handle, too. Limited to part-time duty, Hummel's a great fit.
    Last edited by Scrap Irony; 06-29-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Indiana selecting Miles Plumlee immediately solidified their status as worst draft, IMO.

Good point, WMR. Plumlee is the epitome of an Airport All-American. He's got chiseled features, a great body, he can jump out of the gym. He might even be nice to children and the elderly.

But the Pacers picked the wrong guy. Moultrie would have been a great pick. So would have Perry Jones. Ezeli would have been great as well. I had Plumlee behind not only these guys, but Robert Sacre and Kyle O'Quinn too.

I don't know what Bird was thinking, aside from needing a white guy.
    Last edited by Scrap Irony; 06-29-2012 at 03:31 PM.

Yes, taking Plumlee over the first 3 you mentioned is just criminally bad.

Funny joke I heard on another forum...

"Larry Bird keeps trying to draft the next Larry Bird."
    Last edited by WMR; 06-29-2012 at 03:01 PM.

Pacers are turning back the clock on their draft strategy...

97 Austin Croshere
    96 Mark Pope
    95 Fred Hoiberg
    94 Eric Piatowski
    94 Damon Bailey
    93 Scott Haskin
    Notice any similarities?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    This is a good year for talent. There's a lot of it out there that can help teams, assuming they work at their craft.

The biggest losers in the draft, IMO, were the Cavs (though I like the addition of Zeller), the Mavericks, and Memphis. (That's of team that could have helped themselves, but drafted poorly.

I don't like any of Dallas' picks. Not one. I think Waiters was picked way too high (though I like his game). Same for Terrence Ross.

I think Myers Leonard is going to get his coach fired sooner rather than later.

Andre Drummond has major question marks, but was a good gamble for Detroit that low.

Kendall Marshall is going to be a bust who will be lucky to make it five years in the league.

The 76er choice of Harkless was a mistake, especially considering they already have two swing guys who play his position, are better than he is, and aren't likely to share their position(s). (Though I like the addition of Moultrie.)

The Rockets, aside from the pick of Lamb, have again chosen power forwards. That's five of them on their roster right now. And none of those five look to be a star, but all are really similar to each other. And none can shoot beyond 15 feet.

Jared Cunningham was an extreme reach who can't shoot.

Wroten is worse. And a bad teammate. And lazy.

Mies Plumlee looks great, but hasn't produced since high school.

At 15-20 minutes a night, I'm guessing he can be effective. I'm also guessing that team doctors were pretty thorough in checking him out. As a shooter, he's top notch. He's got decent quickness, especially for a roaming four or a big three. Defensively, he'll need to improve, but that's the way it is with most of these guys. He's got a good handle, too. Limited to part-time duty, Hummel's a great fit.
    Fair enough. I have admitted this before and will reiterate it, I don't really watch the NBA. I tough enough predicting a translation to the NBA game if you watch it religously, let alone occasionally. That said here are my college fans thoughts:

Dion Waiters was fantastic at times in college. There were times that he completely took over the game. Shot from deep and took the ball to the rim. When I heard he was rising up draft boards I thought that made sense.

UConn had one of the most disapointing seasons yet had two guys go in the top 12 or so picks. Its troublesome if you can't get motivated to play a big college game. What happens when you "get yours?" Lamb looked fantastic in 2011 but was a shell of that last season.

Marshall, Zeller, Barnes, and Henson played on the same team, great at times, and underachiving at others. I agree Marshall has no business going that high. Henson is raw, Barnes has question marks, and Zeller looks to be an uninspiring player. If I had to make a bet who would be the best player in that class it would be Zeller because I think he has staying power.

Mason Plumlee has no business getting drafted let alone going in the 1st round.

Royce White looked great at times playing on a team that really didn't have many other pieces. Even in the UK game he looked good. I like that value.

Myers Loenard can look great one moment but awful the next. He may get a coach fired but I think he will have a very good career. If he works at it he may be the steal of the draft.

I am interested in seeing how the UK guys translate in the NBA. I want to see how they translate with the opposing team having the same level of talent. Its one of the age old questions were they a combination of good players or were they individually great? Kinda like the Alabama defense from last year. I think Lamb made a mistake in going this year. Jones could have been a lottery pick had he gone back but he also could ahve dropped out of the first round.

Vandy had 3 players go in the first 31 picks. What the heck?!?!?!

Like Jae Crowder think Draymon Green is a college player who won't do anything in the pros. Its cool to see O'Quinn who carried his 15 seed team to a NCAA win get drafted. The Lakers got a C who could play 10 years in the league with the last pick in the draft while the Knicks draft a guy named Kostas Papanikolaou.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Pacers are turning back the clock on their draft strategy...

Notice any similarities?
    I about cried when the pick was made.....seriously!!!! He has one thing in common with all of them. But two things in common with only one.....care to take a guess?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...&sct=hp_t12_a0

Draft Grades from CNNSI if anyone is interested.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post

Draft Grades from CNNSI if anyone is interested.
    One of the better draft grade articles out there. Sam Amick's weekly column is quickly becoming a must read for me.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Take heart, Pacer fans.

Grade: B- The Pacers are getting killed by most media folks for going with Miles Plumlee at No. 26, but I won't be one of them (I had the Duke center as a late first-round pick in my last two mock drafts). He was a star at a group workout in Minnesota, where all 30 teams attended, and he continued his momentum at the draft combine. He not only has great size and insane athleticism (a workout-best 41-inch vertical leap in Minnesota), but also seems to have untapped potential because of the way he was used at Duke. With Austin Rivers and Seth Curry running the show, players like Plumlee were asked to hit the boards, set screens, defend and not much more. Conveniently enough, the Pacers could always use another big man to do those same things while hoping he evolves into something more. The Pacers also took UCSB shooting guard Orlando Johnson (No. 36, via a trade with Sacramento).

Granted, I don't believe that I would've passed on Jones III or Teague. And, yes, the Pacers may have overreached to fill a need, but here's the bottom line:

If Plumlee truly is Jeff Foster 2.0--remember, MP only played 20 minutes a night for Duke--he was well worth the pick.

Johnson looks like a player to me, even if his selection deviates, much like Danny Granger, Paul George and others, from the Pacers standard "draft strategy."
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Well I am starting to warm up to it Blue. I heard them talking about the selection on a sports talk show here in my area. They basically said that Coach K's offensive scheme did not involve a big man really touching the ball with getting a shot in mind. It was exactly as you said, setting screens and crashing the boards. Plumlee has an NBA body and the genetics behind him. Hopefully in a few years everyone will be talking about how the Pacers got a steal in the 2012 draft.

Turn Off Ads?