Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Will Billy Hamilton be moved to CF?

Re: Will Billy Hamilton be moved to CF?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    That's a good point, corked. I like Cozart's power from the SS position. It plays especially well in the GABP, which can mask some of his obp problems. (Gregorius, IMO, is a poor man's Billy Hamilton, with-- if you can believe it-- less game power. He does have a better glove, but, at this point, he's more Paul Janish than true big league starter.)

It depends on what the Reds' brass do between now and then.

If they're okay with some combination of Drew Stubbs and Chris Heisey the rest of this year AND Stubbs is retained in the summer, I'd be in favor of switching Hamilton next year, either in AA (likely) or AAA. If they're looking for other options in center, Hamilton could end up a SS, with both Gregorius and Cozart as trade chips as early as the winter of 2013.
    Yeah Scrappy, Cozart would defintely be the starter if we kept both he and Didi, but unless someone makes a really good offer for Gregorious, I'd keep him around. True, he's got next to no power, but he has shown some ability to get on base in the minors. He won't win any silver slugger awards, but how many reseve SSs do. I think he has at least the offensive potential of a Janish or Valdez and probably is as good (or better D wise). His speed, the fact that he's a MI who hits from the left side and he'll be cheap for several years may make him worth having around as a bench player.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think he'd be attractive to other teams. Attractive enough, IMO, that Cincinnati shouldn't hesitate to deal him. Now, yeah, it no offers, he's a fine two-day-a-week semi-platoon guy at SS with Cozart.

Nice piece to have when he's cheap.

It was my understanding that Gregorious is considered a really good SS prospect, and actually thought of as a better "prospect" than Cozart was. Obviously, that doesn't mean he will be a better MLB player. If, however, he continues to develop his hitting (e.g., OBP and contact rates, I'm not too concerned with his power) to the point of deserving major league starts, then I think the Reds have a decision.

I'm not aware of any good SS platoons - it just doesn't seem like a position where that has been effective. On the other hand, if he doesn't develop to the point of being a decent bat, then I can see keeping him as a back-up because he won't have much trade value anyway.

Basically, I think it is a waste to have two young good defensive/decent bat SS on the roster splitting time when I think the trade value for that type of player is pretty good. I think that we Reds' fans can attest from the recent past that finding a good defensive/decent bat SS is not that easy. So, if one is available and also happens to be cheap, I think a number of teams will always be very interested.
    Last edited by rgslone; 07-10-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I He'd get better from there. I think he probably ends up in CF, but there is plenty of time for that.
    I honestly think that Billy would only need maybe a month or so of games in CF in order to man it competently.

I agree. No reason to rush Billy off SS. The guy has learned a lot of stuff very fast in the minors. From what I have read, his defense at SS has improved.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?