Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Billy Hamilton be moved to CF?

Re: Will Billy Hamilton be moved to CF?

Just a quick comment about vision and pitch recognition...

Babe Ruth was able to glance at a record playing at 78 rpm and immediatley read the label. I have never met a human that could do that.

I think that pitch recognition is not just based on vision distance quality, but also on some aspect of vision speed. Whoever said something about synaptical development in addition to 20/10 vision was on to something IMO.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    Just a quick comment about vision and pitch recognition...

Babe Ruth was able to glance at a record playing at 78 rpm and immediatley read the label. I have never met a human that could do that.

I think that pitch recognition is not just based on vision distance quality, but also on some aspect of vision speed. Whoever said something about synaptical development in addition to 20/10 vision was on to something IMO.
    Unreal, that would mean a great deal with reading spin of a ball.

Off topic on NPR today they had an hour long special on bird vision, and what they have been able to deduce from birds are they are basically seeing

1.) more colors due to a higher frequency range in the UHF range.
    2.) Magnetic fields, this was found by covering a single eye of a european robin and then subjecting it to magnetic fields.
    3.) Humans have one Iras while most birds have two giving them a telefocus ability...
    Last edited by bellhead; 06-14-2012 at 06:10 PM.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

What are the odds of Hamilton skipping AAA entirely?
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    What are the odds of Hamilton skipping AAA entirely?
    Slim and none. The Reds haven't skipped anyone over AAA since Jordan Smith. I don't even recall the last time they skipped a position guy over AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Slim and none. The Reds haven't skipped anyone over AAA since Jordan Smith. I don't even recall the last time they skipped a position guy over AAA.
    Mike Leake...

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    Mike Leake...
    Mike Leake is a position player? And Leake skipped over everything. If Hamilton had that kind of game, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

The more video I see of him at short the more I think that they should really make an effort to move him to CF.

He has the range and hands to be an excellent CF and then Dusty will have the perfect CF leadoff.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

Mike Leake is a position player? And Leake skipped over everything. If Hamilton had that kind of game, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
    Mike Leake is hitting better than most of our position players

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Mike Leake is hitting better than most of our position players
    He wouldn't be if he played every day, but I still laughed because it is true.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I don not see the need or the wisdom in fast tracking him for AA just because he is putting up good numbers at A+. Let him play the year out at A+ and work on some things to improve his game before he gets to AA and AAA.
    Agreed.

I have always been a big believer in letting young players experience success. Let Hamilton refine his game in an environment where he is confident. There is no need to bump him up to AA and potentially have him struggle and lose confidence.

There is no rush to get him to the majors. The Reds already have quality players at his potential positions, and Hamilton has a LOT of work to do in every facet of the game. Even the best of part of his game (baserunning) is still incredibly raw and relies more on his athleticism rather than refined technique.

Personally, I'd leave him at Bakersfield all year, do the same thing next year in AA with a possible September call up if he plays well, and then put him on the AAA-Cincinnati shuttle in 2014 if everything goes well over the next year and a half.

His OBP is now up to .427. He's going to score 130+ runs and steal 150+ bases. That's not confidence, that's embarrassing the rest of the Cali league.

It's hard to believe he's not being considered for a 25 man spot right now.

He needs to move to LF/CF now. Likely in AA right after the Futures game. Then, if it goes well, which I bet it will - get him to the bigs by Sept. 1 or sooner if Heisey and Cairo continue to look lost.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Billy having the best week of his career:

http://blogredmachine.com/2012/06/25...of-his-career/
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    His OBP is now up to .427. He's going to score 130+ runs and steal 150+ bases. That's not confidence, that's embarrassing the rest of the Cali league.

It's hard to believe he's not being considered for a 25 man spot right now.

He needs to move to LF/CF now. Likely in AA right after the Futures game. Then, if it goes well, which I bet it will - get him to the bigs by Sept. 1 or sooner if Heisey and Cairo continue to look lost.
    Nothing you do in high A should be considered for the 25 man roster. Absolutely nothing. The difference in talent there is the size of the Atlantic Ocean.

Nothing you do in high A should be considered for the 25 man roster. Absolutely nothing. The difference in talent there is the size of the Atlantic Ocean.
    Albert Pujols never played a game above A ball. Impact players can do it. Impacting the game in different ways doesn't change much.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Albert Pujols never played a game above A ball. Impact players can do it. Impacting the game in different ways doesn't change much.
    Very fair comparison!

Turn Off Ads?