Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yasmani Grandal promoted to the big leagues

Yasmani Grandal promoted to the big leagues

Yasmani Grandal promoted to the big leagues.

I hope Mat Latos (an average pitcher in 2011) was worth all the talent given up to acquire him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Yasmani Grandal promoted to the big leagues

I hope him well. The fact of the matter is that when the trade was made we were deep at that position. I still like our catching situation now above 90% of the other teams out there.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by big boy View Post

I hope Mat Latos (an average pitcher in 2011) was worth all the talent given up to acquire him.
    come you shed some light on exactly what the talent we have given up has done on the Major league level over the past say couple of seasons?

This trade needs at least more months to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    This trade needs at least more months to compare.
    Months? How about at least a season or two. Lets remember Latos is all of 24, not 32 or 33. He is still maturing, he is learning how to pitch in a new park that is nothing like his old home park. Lets review this deal say after the 2014 season.

I hope him well. The fact of the matter is that when the trade was made we were deep at that position. I still like our catching situation now above 90% of the other teams out there.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Months? How about at least a season or two. Lets remember Latos is all of 24, not 32 or 33. He is still maturing, he is learning how to pitch in a new park that is nothing like his old home park. Lets review this deal say after the 2014 season.
    At least is important....I'm on your side man.

Grandal was blocked by Mesoraco. Good luck to him.

Vottobot

Do you want Grandal over Hanigan or Mez??? We'll see how he does in the majors because we don't need a catcher, the Padres are probably desperate
    Go Redlegs!!

Quote Originally Posted by big boy View Post

I got a sick feeling in my stomach when I read that this morning. We'll regret this one if Latos doesn't start picking it up. Glad to see him go as many innings as he did in his last outing. Hope it continues.

Comparing him to Latos makes no sense. We decided on Mesoraco for our future, that meant Grandal was going to get traded. If it wasn't for Latos it woulda been for someone else...keeping both made no sense at all. The real comparison should be between Mes and Grandal, but we're prolly a few years away from really knowing if we made the right choice.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I got a sick feeling in my stomach when I read that this morning. We'll regret this one if Latos doesn't start picking it up. Glad to see him go as many innings as he did in his last outing. Hope it continues.
    Mat Latos in May: 3-0, 3.26 ERA, .196 opponent average

That picking it up enough for you?

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Comparing him to Latos makes no sense

The real comparison should be between Mes and Grandal, but we're prolly a few years away from really knowing if we made the right choice.
    Well, it does from an overall perspective. You have to look at every trade that way....if you want to evaluate whether it was a good idea or a bad one.

But I do agree that the Grandal/Mesoraco comparison should also be made. We don't know if the Padres were interested in Mesoraco, but based on prospect ratings they may have been even more interested in him than in Grandal.

I've thought that Walt may not have even had to include Boxberger if Mesoraco was the catcher dealt, but of course that's conjecture.

I'm seriously afraid that Yasmani is going to tear it up right from the start....unlike Mesoraco he has yet to struggle offensively in his brief career....and that the choice is soon going to look like a bad one. Especially given the acute need for LH/SH bats on the present team.

I know there is more to a catcher's job description than swinging a bat, but from everything I've read Grandal isn't a slouch behind the plate, either.

I was extremely upset to see him traded, and hated the deal from the start.
    Last edited by malcontent; 06-01-2012 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HalMorrisRules View Post
    Mat Latos in May: 3-0, 3.26 ERA, .196 opponent average

That picking it up enough for you?
    It's not about the ERA (not a great measure of a pitcher's performance anyway, and neither are Wins and Losses. That average is great, but for Latos, he needs to be going 7 innings every time. Not five innings, or the 3-1/3 he went tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    It's not about the ERA (not a great measure of a pitcher's performance anyway, and neither are Wins and Losses. That average is great, but for Latos, he needs to be going 7 innings every time. Not five innings, or the 3-1/3 he went tonight.
    He's 24...let's allow him to learn and mature...

Turn Off Ads?