Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Is Votto the best hitter in baseball?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

55 70.51%
  • Not sure

18 23.08%
  • No

5 6.41%
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Joey Votto become the best hitter in baseball?

Has Joey Votto become the best hitter in baseball?

I know some might argue Josh Hamilton is also in the discussion, but with Albert Pujols on the decline the last few years, the last couple weeks I've been pondering this question.

For what it's worth, from 2010 to present, Votto leads all hitters in total WAR (17.2) and wOBA (.424). So there is certainly a statistical argument to be made for it.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Has Joey Votto become the best hitter in baseball?

I think he is clearly. He is doing all this without getting many pitches to hit.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I think he is clearly. He is doing all this without getting many pitches to hit.
    That's the most amazing thing to me. Teams have completely abandoned throwing him anything in the strike zone and he's still got nearly an 1.100 OPS.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Just imagine what the RBI numbers would look like this season if he had anything CLOSE to normal OBP guys hitting in front of him. The fact that he is second on the team in RBI's speaks VOLUMES about the lineup situation IMO.

And yes....he IS the best hitter in baseball. Not the best power hitter...but the best pure hitter without a doubt.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Look up Votto's and Hamilton's career numbers.

VERY similar.

Imagine if the Reds could add a high on-base guy (Chase Headley?) to hit in front of Votto. This offense could really take off then. It's such a pleasure to watch Votto hit. If he stays healthy, he could be the next Red inducted into the Hall of Fame.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I often wonder how many rbi's Joey would have with 2 high OBP guys hitting in front of him (Melky Cabrera/Dejesus) or how many more pitches he'd get to hit and how high his batting average would be with Giancarlo Stanton hitting behind him.

What might be just as impressive is how good he's become defensively. If there's any evidence of how dedicated he is to the game, look no further than this.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I voted not sure, because I am not sure. I feel I could argue that Miguel Cabrera is a better hitter. Cabrera has hit .334/.425/.594 since 2010 began with 214 walks and 216 strikeouts. Votto has hit .320/.428/.571 with 245 walks and 295 strikeouts. Votto has been better this year so far, but I can't say that it will last with the gap as wide as it currently is for 2012.

Ever since Juan Castro retired, this became an easy "yes" for me.

Votto ranks, among National League hitters:
    4th in BA
    1st in OBP
    2nd in SLG
    1st in wOBA
    1st in wRC+
    1st in OPS
    4th in BB/K
    1st in 2B
    10th in R
    1st in IBB
    2nd in WAR

I've never a seen a Red hitter who is such a good pure hitter. He actually reminds me of Todd Helton. He's not the most elite contact hitter. He doesn't have huge power. He just ropes line drives all over the place.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Heard Tom last night say at one point in the game that he was 40 for his last 82 at bats? Insane if true.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

I voted not sure mostly because I'm not sure what you mean by 'best hitter'. He is the most consistent hitter in baseball today. He's always in the lineup and even on his bad days he'll draw a walk. He consistently leads the league in OPS, so if that is your measure then it's a yes, but there are other guys with more power (Hamilton) and other guys with more history (Pujols).

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    Heard Tom last night say at one point in the game that he was 40 for his last 82 at bats? Insane if true.
    I believe he said that was his line while in Houston.

Turn Off Ads?