Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: EURO 2012

Re: EURO 2012

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I would love, love, love it if the Dutch didn't advance.
    Being down 2 in goal differential, they're going to have to take it to Portugal and hope Germany doesn't go easy on the Danes. Who would have thought it would be the Dutch sitting at the bottom of the Group of Death after 2 games? Karma for their display in the last World Cup?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't understand what the Dutch were doing after the RVP goal. They had to get a point there and showed no urgency and basically just let the Germans kill the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I don't understand what the Dutch were doing after the RVP goal. They had to get a point there and showed no urgency and basically just let the Germans kill the clock.
    From halftime to the RVP goal was about the only time period where they generated an organized attack. I wonder if Van Bommel sits and they start Huntelaar and maybe Van Der Waart against Portugal.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Man, it's brutal watching Portugal games. They spend so much time going to the ground and whining to the ref, that there's never any rhythm to the game. They're every bit as bad as Argentina or Italy has ever been. I wonder if the focus on theatrics actually does more harm than good. It seems sometimes like they would rather get the calls than formulate an attack. If they tried to stay with a play rather than go down every chance they get, I think they may wind up with more scoring opportunities. Or maybe it's just that I despise watching that kind of football.

I hated seeing the Danes lose. After about halfway through the first half, they outplayed the Portugese the rest of the game until their equalizing goal. I've been impressed with them both games. But they brought it on themselves. They went into the equivalent of the prevent defense and it worked about as well as it does when NFL teams employ it.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

The Germans are going to be tough to beat. They're so disciplined and patient that defending them is tough. They remind me of Joey Votto at the plate. They might look great early, but they're going to keep battling and learning throughout the game and when you make a mistake or leave an opening they're going to jump on it. The only player I don't care for on their team is Ozil.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

These last two posts illustrate my favorite and least favorite parts of the game. Watching a team play patient, prodding, thinking soccer is a treat; watching players take flop after flop is infuriating.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    These last two posts illustrate my favorite and least favorite parts of the game. Watching a team play patient, prodding, thinking soccer is a treat; watching players take flop after flop is infuriating.
    I think the ref in the Germany-Netherlands game handled it well. While there were a few flops, the ref didn't buy into them and just waved them to play on. Guys didn't have time to hold up the game selling a dive or lobbying the ref because the other team was moving the ball down the field. I don't think he issued a yellow until well into the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I think the ref in the Germany-Netherlands game handled it well. While there were a few flops, the ref didn't buy into them and just waved them to play on. Guys didn't have time to hold up the game selling a dive or lobbying the ref because the other team was moving the ball down the field. I don't think he issued a yellow until well into the second half.
    I think the refs have done a pretty solid job against divers so far in the tournament. If only the NBA refs would do the same in the Finals....
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Croatia-Italy should be a good match. Italy looked better than expected against Spain. It I think Croatiacould be a sleeper. This game will be a good barometer for how good they really are.
    Last edited by MWM; 06-14-2012 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I think the refs have done a pretty solid job against divers so far in the tournament. If only the NBA refs would do the same in the Finals....
    I think it helps that the refs are all European, where leagues have been working to cut down on the diving and gamesmanship. One of the problems with the World Cup is that they have to draw refs from all over the world, some of whom are less experienced with high level play or come from leagues where that kind of stuff is tolerated. I think the players sense it and take advantage accordingly (although the ref for the final was English and just mismanaged the game).

Italy up 1-0 on Croatia on a free kick goal by Pirlo. Some early diving, but Croatia seems to be the side trying to sell theirs with the overacting. Italy has actually been generating some attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Italy up 1-0 on Croatia on a free kick goal by Pirlo. Some early diving, but Croatia seems to be the side trying to sell theirs with the overacting. Italy has actually been generating some attack.
    They need to attack. Gone are the days of Maldini, Nesta and Cannavaro. They have a midfielder (DeRossi) in center defense, and Buffon is in the twilight of his career.

The Italians have to take advantange of their dynamic attack options in Cassano, Balotelli and DiNatale. Pirlo is solid in organizing the attack.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

The free kick goal was perfect. Cleared the heads of the line by inches and squeezed in between the pipe and the keepers glove. Pretty awesome.

Croatia is pretty solid.

Love Jelavic, was awesome for Everton this year.

I have them going to teh semis

Tied up. Croatian fans need to knock it off with the flares.

Turn Off Ads?