Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: EURO 2012

Re: EURO 2012

Technical skills are different than game strategy.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Technical skills are different than game strategy.
    Indeed. I thought England played exactly the strategy they needed to to have a chance. They were severely overmatched because in fairness they were essentially running out a B Team for this tournament. As mentioned Italy will look like the English against Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    As mentioned Italy will look like the English against Germany.
    Maybe ... maybe not. Prandelli has shown to be a more aggressive coach than his predecessors. Also, with Chiellini injured, the Italians are thin on the back line and can't depend on Buffon. They have some dynamic players on the attack in Pirlo, Ballotelli, Cassano and DiNatale. It should be an interesting matchup.

That said, Germany is just better and deeper and they have the advantage of two extra days of rest heading into the matchup. I'd expect them to win and be a heavy favorite to beat Spain/Portugal.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

I always sentimentally pull for England in these big tournaments because they have had such dreadful luck in the Euros and World Cup. Also because, as others have mentioned, they play the style closest to the United States, but with much better players overall.

It was a double root for them yesterday b/c I despise Italy. I still feel very confident that Italy won't win it all, but they are in the semis.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I always sentimentally pull for England in these big tournaments because they have had such dreadful luck in the Euros and World Cup. Also because, as others have mentioned, they play the style closest to the United States, but with much better players overall.

It was a double root for them yesterday b/c I despise Italy. I still feel very confident that Italy won't win it all, but they are in the semis.
    I pull for the Germans and English (my heritage) when the USA isn't playing. The ironic thing about these big time soccer games is more often than not a team ends up hanging around longer than it should. In watching the Germany Greece game, the Germans dominated it from start to finish but for about 10 minutes in the 2nd half the Greeks tied it up and a counter could have put the Greeks ahead.

I don't think the Itilians stance a chance against Germany. But if the Germans can't find the back of the net and allow the Itilians to hang around then Italy can win. Anytime you reach the semi's you have quality teams playing.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Stat I just saw: Counting Euro 2008, World Cup 2010 and now Euro 2012, Spain hasn't allowed a goal in eight straight knockout matches. "The best defense is a good offense" would seem to apply here.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Die Mannschaft lost in the 2008 euro finals and the 2010 WC finals to Spain, who have basically the same squad as the 2012 Euros. Germany has not won a major national tournament since 1996. If Spain conquers Portugal, I see Spain vrs Germany in the final. Spain will win. Germany knows it cannot beat Spain. They will go home with a triumph over Italy, to somewhat erase the memory of PK defeat in Germany in the WC in 2006. Italy ripped Germany's heart out by beating them at home in 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    They will go home with a triumph over Italy, to somewhat erase the memory of PK defeat in Germany in the WC in 2006. Italy ripped Germany's heart out by beating them at home in 2006.
    I think Italy won v Germany in ET ... Very late, like the 119' minute. Italy won the final in PKs.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I think Italy won v Germany in ET ... Very late, like the 119' minute. Italy won the final in PKs.
    You're right, I forgot. Not Pks. Two goals in the last two minutes of ET. 2-0 german loss at home. They still haven't recovered.

You're right, I forgot. Not Pks. Two goals in the last two minutes of ET. 2-0 german loss at home. They still haven't recovered.
    Except when they made it to the last Euro Final.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Maybe ... maybe not. Prandelli has shown to be a more aggressive coach than his predecessors. Also, with Chiellini injured, the Italians are thin on the back line and can't depend on Buffon. They have some dynamic players on the attack in Pirlo, Ballotelli, Cassano and DiNatale. It should be an interesting matchup.

That said, Germany is just better and deeper and they have the advantage of two extra days of rest heading into the matchup. I'd expect them to win and be a heavy favorite to beat Spain/Portugal.
    Italy has played a more attacking team this time around, but I think their weakness is that they play to go 1 goal up and then go into a shell. I don't think they can afford to do that against a German team capable of scoring 3-4 goals in a game.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Die Mannschaft lost in the 2008 euro finals and the 2010 WC finals to Spain, who have basically the same squad as the 2012 Euros. Germany has not won a major national tournament since 1996. If Spain conquers Portugal, I see Spain vrs Germany in the final. Spain will win. Germany knows it cannot beat Spain. They will go home with a triumph over Italy, to somewhat erase the memory of PK defeat in Germany in the WC in 2006. Italy ripped Germany's heart out by beating them at home in 2006.
    I think Germany poses a real problem for Spain. Spain is one of those teams that always wins when you let them control the tempo. However, Germany can play a high pressure game where they can punish a mistake quickly. If the Germans can disrupt Spain's possession passing game and get into their heads, Germany can win.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Germany has never defeated Italy in a competitive match (over 7 games).
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

England really missed Wilshere.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Italy has played a more attacking team this time around, but I think their weakness is that they play to go 1 goal up and then go into a shell. I don't think they can afford to do that against a German team capable of scoring 3-4 goals in a game.
    No they can't, but they may be forced to hold back today because they're coming off a 120 minute affair only three days ago, and Germany has two more days of rest.

To be honest, this setup for EURO stinks. Portugal and Germany each have two extra days off, which in soccer is a pretty big deal. I understand that this is a money decision, but the second round games should've been played on the same day.

Turn Off Ads?