Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: EURO 2012

Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: EURO 2012

The shot hit the double post
    Last edited by Yachtzee; 06-22-2012 at 02:31 PM.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

"Chopper" Sophocles... he'll break your ankle with a challenge and then write a tragedy about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Total domination by Germany. They had one defensive lapse, but if they play like they did today, the only team with a real chance to beat them is Spain.

Nice to see Klose get another goal. He's been one of my favorite players for a while now, regardless of his lack of great success in club football. He didn't look very good in the first half but I thought he had a solid second.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Really looking forward to tomorrow's game. I'm gonna call the upset right now. France over Spain 2-1 on a late goal.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post

Nice to see Klose get another goal. He's been one of my favorite players for a while now, regardless of his lack of great success in club football. He didn't look very good in the first half but I thought he had a solid second.
    He had a pretty good year with Lazio, but was injured for a while, too.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Total domination by Germany. They had one defensive lapse, but if they play like they did today, the only team with a real chance to beat them is Spain.

Really? I thought the Germans looked sloppy for most of the game. In fact the only guy who really stood out was Ozil. It was like watching a Top 5 basketball team play a warm up game against a DII opponent. The controlled the game but looked sloppy at times. There was a time in the game when the Greeks tied it up that I thought the German coach was going to come under fire for sitting both Gomez and Mueller.

The Germans controlled the middle 3rd of the field but it appeared as if the Greeks were fine with that. From my untrained eye the Germans are going to need to play better when the competition starts to heat up.

Yeah, Spain is good. France has a pretty good team and for most of the game it looked liked Spain was barely breaking a sweat and making them look like also rans. I'd love to see a Spain/Germany final.

How can England be SO bad technically? It makes no sense. They are better than the US, but they're closer to the US than they are the Spanish, or Italians.

Andy Caroll can't wait to get rid of the ball when he gets it. He wants no part of it.

Ashley Young had that scared look on his face before the PK. I said to my son, "uh, oh. He's about to screw this one up."

Maybe it was karma. Young had the worst flop of the game that landed the Italian guy a yellow card making him miss the next game.
    Last edited by MWM; 06-24-2012 at 05:37 PM.

How can England be SO bad technically? It makes no sense. They are better than the US, but they're closer to the US than they are the Spanish, or Italians.
    Because their youth development system is terrible in comparison to the continent. Everything is about what is best for the club rather than what is best for the country.

Ashley Young had that scared look on his face before the PK. I said to my son, "uh, oh. He's about to screw this one up."

Maybe it was karma. Young had the worst flop of the game that landed the Italian guy a yellow card making him miss the next game.
    Young is a spiritual Portuguese.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Because their youth development system is terrible in comparison to the continent. Everything is about what is best for the club rather than what is best for the country.
    Maybe. They simply haven't developed the midfield wizard who can control the game with his passing and space. Nearly every world power has that player. Spain has 4 of them (Xavi, Iniesta Silva, and Fabregas), along with Sweinsteiger, Pirlo, and Modric. That player has never really been a part of the English game. Parker is a worker, not an engine. Gerrard/Lampard/Rooney all play that forward midfielder role right behind the striker (just like Dempsey), but they are better at scoring than creating. But, it does seem that the maestro role is vitally important in building elite teams.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Was it the style of game they decided to play? They looked technically bad but they had no one in the midfield to control the game. They decided to play a defensive game and hope to score on the counter. They really had no one to get the ball to Rooney and Carroll was in there to win headers and hopefully score on a set piece. The Itilians looked like the dominant team but I think that is two fold, they are better technically but also the English let them play that way. I have a feeling that Italy will look more like England when they play Germany this Thursday.

Turn Off Ads?