Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Have teams gotten better at drafting?

Have teams gotten better at drafting?

I saw a link the other day talking about the infamous draft where the Reds passed up Jeter. Then just out of curiousity I began to look at the first rounds from that year until current. What I noticed was since the 92 draft the amount of players who have made it to the majors has grown. With the rare exception of say a Matt Bush pick, most of your top 5ish picks have all been pretty good players.

Are teams better at drafting? Has techonology helped out the draft? Has the monitary commitment to these top tier prospects pretty much guaranteed them a shot at the majors?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Have teams gotten better at drafting?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I saw a link the other day talking about the infamous draft where the Reds passed up Jeter. Then just out of curiousity I began to look at the first rounds from that year until current. What I noticed was since the 92 draft the amount of players who have made it to the majors has grown. With the rare exception of say a Matt Bush pick, most of your top 5ish picks have all been pretty good players.

Are teams better at drafting? Has techonology helped out the draft? Has the monitary commitment to these top tier prospects pretty much guaranteed them a shot at the majors?
    I think (without checking any real data) absolutely.

I also think the Reds have been outstanding at drafting since Bowden left, at least at the top of the draft. I wonder if there is another team in all of baseball who has had 8 straight 1st round picks make the majors. It's looking like Lotzkar and Boxberger could eventually make the Reds 11-for-11 when you include the sandwich round. Hopefully Stephenson and whoever we take tonight continue on that trend.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I think a few things have happened, first, teams have gotten better at identifying talent... but they have also gotten better at developing it, particularly pitchers. High school arms used to fail so often because teams would treat them the same way that they treated college arms and they simply weren't ready for that in a lot of cases and it led to injuries. Now, if those injuries happen, guys are more capable of coming back from them too.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I think a few things have happened, first, teams have gotten better at identifying talent... but they have also gotten better at developing it, particularly pitchers. High school arms used to fail so often because teams would treat them the same way that they treated college arms and they simply weren't ready for that in a lot of cases and it led to injuries. Now, if those injuries happen, guys are more capable of coming back from them too.
    To me its somewhat ironic that teams have gotten better drafting as the overall pool of baseball players has diminished. Now baseball played at the youth levels may have seen reduced numbers but I think there is greater competition at the top.

What you said is true about pitchers but I also think you need to attribute better nutrition as well as better weight training as to why the drafts may have gotten better. But I was surprised looking at the history of the drafts from the early 90's until today and the amount of success that all teams are having now days. It used to be that if you drafted a player in the first round and they became a regular starter you did well. Now it seems that its the norm to get starting MLB quality players in the 1st round.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Which explains why Stephenson is in extended ST rather than full season low-A ball. Looks like the Reds are doing the right thing by him.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Which explains why Stephenson is in extended ST rather than full season low-A ball. Looks like the Reds are doing the right thing by him.
    Except most HS pitchers drafted in the first round are in full season low-A by now. Stephenson is more the exception rather than the rule, even in this day in age. I would like to see him get a few innings in Dayton before the end of the season.
    Go BLUE!!!

They may be working to tweak mechanics and get him physically ready to lessen the possibility of injury - at least that's what I'd hope was happening with him. Once he gets to low-A the one-on-one sessions and highly personal instruction chances will be less frequent. I'm glad they're paying him a lot of attention - his career can launch when they're confident he is as ready as possible to begin.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

While I can't say this is why he stayed in EST, Stephenson has only began throwing his new change up this year. Giving him time to work on that pitch in non-winning environments could be very good for him as he doesn't have the pressure of worrying about getting outs as much and not going to his least comfortable pitch when someone wants him to throw it.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Just googled Stephenson and found a couple interviews with him (one was with Jamie Ramsey).

Hard not to like the kid. Really seems to have a good head on his shoulders. With his physical talents and barring injury, he should be a force down the road.

Turn Off Ads?