Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2014 MLB Draft Day One Thread

Official 2014 MLB Draft Day One Thread

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/cin/...&vkey=news_cin

The 2014 Draft will take place today through Saturday, beginning with the Draft preview show on MLB.com and MLB Network today at 6 p.m. ET. Live Draft coverage from MLB Network's Studio 42 begins at 7 p.m., with the top 74 picks being streamed on MLB.com and broadcast on MLB Network. MLB.com's exclusive coverage of the second and third days will begin with a live Draft show at 12:30 p.m. ET on Friday.

MLB.com's coverage includes Draft Central, the Top 200 Draft Prospects list and Draft Tracker, a live interactive application that includes a searchable database of Draft-eligible players. Every selection will be tweeted live from @MLBDraftTracker, and you can also keep up to date by following @MLBDraft. And get into the Draft conversation by tagging your tweets with #mlbdraft.

The Reds will be picking at numbers 19, 29, and 58 tonight.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Official 2014 MLB Draft Day One Thread

Bseball America's latest mock draft.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...oks-like-no-1/

3ds_reds8319: REDS: Cincinnati would love a college bat to fit here, but none does. Instead, the Reds will start off with a college arm with the first of their two picks, with Finnegan a strong possibility but Tyler Beede more likely due to his upside.
    Projected Pick: RHP Tyler Beede
    3ds_reds8329. REDS: Cincinnati can go for a prep arm here after going for Beede previously.
    Projected Pick: RHP Sean Reid-Foley

I don't claim much draft knowledge, but I do know that BA's draft day mocks tend to be pretty accurate. I guess I need to look up the reports on Tyler Beede.

Scouting Grades: Fastball: 65 | Curveball: 55 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 45 | Overall: 60
    Beede figures to become just the 18th player selected in the first round of two different June Drafts. Picked 21st overall out of a Massachusetts high school in 2011, he opted to attend Vanderbilt, where he led NCAA Division I with a school-record 14 victories and was one of three finalists for the Golden Spikes Award last spring.

When Beede is at his best, he can display three above-average pitches. His fastball usually operates around 92-94 mph and can clock as high as 97. His sharp curveball and his changeup both arrive in the low 80s, playing off his fastball well.

The biggest question with Beede is whether he'll be able to harness his quality stuff. His delivery can get out of sync. He can be unhittable but also has problems finding the strike zone.
    Meh

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I'm hoping one of the two picks first round is either Wall or Chavis (to be groomed to take over for Phillips). But I'm comfortable with two pitchers as well, although having one be a LHP wouldn't hurt.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

8. Likes:

Benihana (06-05-2014),SirFelixCat (06-05-2014)

My official guesses:

Who I want the Reds to get: Trea Turner

Who I think the Reds will get:

19: Michael Conforto (you heard it here first)
    29: Forrest Wall
    58: Michael Cederoth

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    My official guesses:

Who I want the Reds to get: Trea Turner

Who I think the Reds will get:

19: Michael Conforto (you heard it here first)
    29: Forrest Wall
    58: Michael Cederoth

I agree Turner is the guy I will be praying to fall. I really hope you are right with Conforto (and to a lesser extent Wall). Conforto would be big for us.

I personally would be very happy with Fedde or Hoffman. Both guys would have been top 10 picks without TJ factored in.

I do not believe I am a fan of Reid-Foley. I have read a few scouting reports (can't say whether or not they are just parrroting each other or not) that say he is a future reliever. I do not want another Ryan Wagner pick.
    Last edited by Edd Roush; 06-05-2014 at 12:06 PM.

I want Schwarber but he won't be there. I don't want Conforto as much but I wouldn't be mad about it. If Hoffman falls I'd take the risk and grab him. Reid-Foley, meh. Beede, meh (guys that have trouble throwing strikes but throw hard can be found later). I so do not want Derek Hill. Trea Turner will be gone but I'd grab him over anyone if he did fall to 19.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

12. Likes:

Benihana (06-05-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I want Schwarber but he won't be there. I don't want Conforto as much but I wouldn't be mad about it. If Hoffman falls I'd take the risk and grab him. Reid-Foley, meh. Beede, meh (guys that have trouble throwing strikes but throw hard can be found later). I so do not want Derek Hill. Trea Turner will be gone but I'd grab him over anyone if he did fall to 19.
    It's not like Beede has Marmol level control. His BB/9 was less than 4 this past year (3.94 in 98.1 innings). He has three above average pitches and he is a little more advanced than the high school hurlers. Plus, I really like that his K rate has got better each year he is been at Vandy and now sits at 9.70/9.

What's the beef with Conforto? Dude has slugged at least .526 every year at Oregon State and has hit at least 7 bombs. He also has an awesome eye with this year's OBP over .500 (.506). I know he is not very good at defense, but it's not like the Reds will be asking him to play center. He should stick in the outfield and a bat like his will play. Conforto could put up some huge numbers in GABP.

I agree that Trea Turner is a stud, though. He has had at least a .418 OBP every year at NC State and steals bases at a very high percentage as well as quantity. He should also be able to stick at SS defensively which will fill a huge organizational void and since he is a college guy, he should be ready faster than a high school guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I'm hoping one of the two picks first round is either Wall or Chavis (to be groomed to take over for Phillips). But I'm comfortable with two pitchers as well, although having one be a LHP wouldn't hurt.
    Throw Alex Blandino into the mix there with Wall and Chavis. From what I've heard, he could be moved off of 3B to 2B.

15. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (06-05-2014)

Also, Alex Blandino is a fantastic name

17. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (06-05-2014)

Anyone getting any good snacks together for the game tonight? My wife is out of town, so I will be making nachos with Willy's hot salsa and a 6-pack of Jackie-O's IPA.

19. Likes:

SirFelixCat (06-05-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Anyone getting any good snacks together for the game tonight? My wife is out of town, so I will be making nachos with Willy's hot salsa and a 6-pack of Jackie-O's IPA.
    I will be grilling out some brats and whipping up a queso dip. My friends think I am crazy for being so excited for the MLB Draft, but I love it. The guy the Reds draft in the first round is likely to be in the Reds' organization for the better part of the next decade.

21. Likes:

SirFelixCat (06-05-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I will be grilling out some brats and whipping up a queso dip. My friends think I am crazy for being so excited for the MLB Draft, but I love it. The guy the Reds draft in the first round is likely to be in the Reds' organization for the better part of the next decade.
    Oh yeah, everyone thinks I am crazy too. Completely agree.

Turn Off Ads?