Turn Off Ads?
Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 293536373839

Thread: Official 2012 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

Re: Official 2012 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The key is to keep him healthy and making steady progress. Goal #1 - avoid the immediate injury/flameout that did in Chris Gruler.

Gruler made the trip a lot more pleasant with his outing Friday night. Gruler, the Reds' No.1 pick and third overall in the draft, made his professional debut at rookie-level Billings. The right-hander pitched four innings of two-hit, shutout ball, walking two and striking out three.

“I was nervous at first,” Gruler said. “As far as performance, it was decent. I wasn't able to hit my spots like I normally do. It had been three or four weeks since I pitched in a game.”

Gruler is on the fast track to the big leagues. His teammates at Billings mostly are college players. Reds director of player development Tim Naehring's plan for Gruler is to have him start five or six times at Billings. If Gruler is successful there, he could be moved to Single-A Dayton.

“Everything I hear is nothing but positive,” Gruler said. “That makes me feel good. It makes me want to work 10 times harder.”

The Billings experience was a new one for Gruler, a 6-foot-3, 190-pounder. His games at Liberty High in Brentwood, Calif., drew 200 people when he was pitching and maybe two dozen if he wasn't. Nearly 5,000 fans attended his Billings debut.

“That's not what made me nervous,” he said. “It was more, "This is my professional debut. I've always dreamed about this. Wow.'”

Gruler had to get up at 5:30 a.m. to make his flight to Cincinnati. He'll spend the night in Cincinnati, then go to Billings and get back to work.

Reds general manager Jim Bowden gave Gruler a jersey Saturday.

“He'll be wearing this in that stadium over there in a few years,” Bowden said, pointing to Great American Ball Park, “if not sooner.”
    I post this is a general reminder that nobody how much one may get frustrated with the current Reds management, things can always be worse.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

I post this is a general reminder that nobody how much one may get frustrated with the current Reds management, things can always be worse.
    It's the shirt our GM was wearing that is supposed to scare us, right?

I like the LH bats. Badly needed system-wide. Also like the Gelalich pick to counter the high-risk of the Winker pick. As the report linked to above says about Gelalich, never underestimate lefthanded hitters with good hands. I also like that Gelalich has some athleticism.

I'd wager money they go with a college arm next.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I'd wager money they go with a college arm next.
    Alex Wood would be a good second round choice if they go that route. Jake Barrett is another name to watch.
    Go BLUE!!!

Alex Wood would be a good second round choice if they go that route. Jake Barrett is another name to watch.
    Yes, names like those. I'd love to see them take Tony Renda, a baseball rat who some call a poor man's Pedroia. No doubt paroxysms of despair would seize Redszone.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I like what the Reds did. All 3 picks were solid and made sense for our system IMO. Of the other clubs, I thought the Astros & Pirates both did outstanding...unfortunately.

Astros won't matter. Pittsburgh still has to sign Appel, a difficult task, it sounds like.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Astros won't matter. Pittsburgh still has to sign Appel, a difficult task, it sounds like.
    True on both fronts. I just thought they both did VERY well in grabbing guys who projected higher and fell to them. If they can sign those picks, I thought they had the best day 1's by far.

I thought, in addition to Houston, San Diego and Toronto did very well. Both grabbed up the middle hitters and high talent arms with upside.

If Washington signs Giolito (which might not happen), they also had a great first day.

Though I like Piscotty, I think St. Louis drafted way over slot three times, hoping for multiple signings, I'd imagine. I also thought Boston had a poor draft, as they drafted three guys with major questions.

For what it's worth, Keith Law put up his winners and losers from day 1 and the Reds were not mentioned under either heading.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    For what it's worth, Keith Law put up his winners and losers from day 1 and the Reds were not mentioned under either heading.
    I guess it's good we're not in the Losers column, but wouldn't take a lot for Law to like anything we do? Isn't he generally pretty hard on us or am I thinking of someone else?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Good call. Keith Law seems to like him more than most, as he had him as a top 40 player. I like the first two picks better. Gelalich sounds like the type of non-flashy overachieving college player that this regime seems to love (LaMarre, Lohman, Greene, Valaika).

Oh well, at least they went for upside with the first two guys. I would've preferred Virant, Rahier, or Alex Wood, but I hope Gelalich makes me forget those guys. Unless of course we take one of them tomorrow...
    Sound familiar to anyone reading the Blandino thread?

Ironically, if you go back and read the immediate reaction in the couple pages (pp.15-18) during the Travieso pick, it sounds eerily similar to the reaction to the Nick Howard pick. Does the 2014 Reds Draft = the 2012 Reds Draft? Does that mean Taylor Sparks or Gavin LaValley = Jesse Winker? Wyatt Strahan = Dan Langfield? And does Montrell Marshall = Tanner Rahier as the HS 3B I really wanted with an earlier pick but fell to the Reds later?

I need to go to bed...
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-12-2014 at 10:16 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Giolito could now officially be the Lincecum to Travieso's Stubbs...
    June 4, 2012. If only Travieso was as good as Stubbs...
    Go BLUE!!!

Sound familiar to anyone reading the Blandino thread?

Ironically, if you go back and read the immediate reaction in the couple pages (pp.15-18) during the Travieso pick, it sounds eerily similar to the reaction to the Nick Howard pick. Does the 2014 Reds Draft = the 2012 Reds Draft? Does that mean Taylor Sparks or Gavin LaValley = Jesse Winker? Wyatt Strahan = Dan Langfield? And does Montrell Marshall = Tanner Rahier as the HS 3B I really wanted with an earlier pick but fell to the Reds later?

I need to go to bed...
    And five years later, this proved true as well. Howard was Travieso and Blandino looking not much better than Gelalich, unfortunately. AND Wyatt Stratham did turn out much like Langfield, injury and all!

I just wish LaValley would’ve turned out more like Winker. Man those two drafts really sucked!

At least I got my wish and we did get Alex Wood five years later (and perhaps one year too late).
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-29-2019 at 02:59 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?