Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2012 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

Official 2012 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

The day is finally here...

My updated big board for tonight, assuming that Appel, Buxton, Correa, Zunino, Gausman, Almora and Zimmer are all off the board...

FIRST ROUND (#14)

1. Lucas Giolito RHP HS
    2. Max Fried LHP HS
    3. Courtney Hawkins OF HS
    4. Richie Shaffer 3B Clemson
    5. Drew Heaney LHP Oklahoma St
    6. Chris Stratton RHP Mississippi St

SANDWICH ROUND (#49 and #56)

1. Victor Roache OF Georgia Southern
    2. Joey Gallo 3B HS
    3. Matt Smoral LHP HS
    4. Addison Rusell SS HS
    5. Barrett Barnes OF Texas
    6. Corey Seager 3B HS
    7. Lucas Sims RHP HS
    8. Tanner Rahier 3B HS
    9. Ty Hensley RHP HS
    10. Hunter Virant LHP HS
    (tie) Pierce Johnson RHP Missouri State

Let the games begin!
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Official 2012 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

Beni, I think there's a good chance all your choices for the sandwich round are gone by pick 49, unfortunately. I like Virant and Hensley for the sandwich round, too, but I doubt they're there.

My personal favorite is still Corey Seager. Love that kid's swing, baseball athleticism and upside.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Beni, I think there's a good chance all your choices for the sandwich round are gone by pick 49, unfortunately. I like Virant and Hensley for the sandwich round, too, but I doubt they're there.

My personal favorite is still Corey Seager. Love that kid's swing, baseball athleticism and upside.
    I agree that many of them will be gone, but I will be surprised if at least 1 or 2 of them are not still on the board- at least at 49. I like to aim high in these things and catch the falling star, rather than get locked in on 1 or 2 guys and potentially overdraft. No one thought that Norris would be there when we picked last year (although we know how that played out...)
    Go BLUE!!!

I agree that many of them will be gone, but I will be surprised if at least 1 or 2 of them are not still on the board- at least at 49. I like to aim high in these things and catch the falling star, rather than get locked in on 1 or 2 guys and potentially overdraft. No one thought that Norris would be there when we picked last year (although we know how that played out...)
    I think you're probably right. One or two will drop. In that regard, Giolito is going to provide the drama early on. Is BA doing another mock, do you know?

a guy i kinda like for the sandwich/second round is Jacksonville University OF/1st Adam Brett Walker. 6'5 222 lbs. and compared to Giancarlo Stanton in terms of body type and power. Lots of places are says 80 power on the 20-80 scale. Father was an NFL running back (no not Hershel) and mother was a national champion high jumper in college and also played volleyball.

I think he is worth a shot based on the Stanton comparison alone.

Quote Originally Posted by kg112686 View Post
    a guy i kinda like for the sandwich/second round is Jacksonville University OF/1st Adam Brett Walker. 6'5 222 lbs. and compared to Giancarlo Stanton in terms of body type and power. Lots of places are says 80 power on the 20-80 scale. Father was an NFL running back (no not Hershel) and mother was a national champion high jumper in college and also played volleyball.

He caught my eye too. He sounds like a project, but talk about a potential impact bat. Stupid physical tools

John Fay tweeted that Baseball America expects us to either take high school outfielder Courtney Hawkins or Oklahoma State Lefty pitcher Andrew Heaney if available.

So he can run through a catcher at a play at the plate and then later jump very high to steal a home run from someone? You have to like that.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

So what is scheduled for tonight? First round and the sandwich round? Or more?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Draft will be 1st round and sandwich round only today.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    The day is finally here...

My updated big board for tonight, assuming that Appel, Buxton, Correa, Zunino, Gausman, Almora and Zimmer are all off the board...

FIRST ROUND (#14)

1. Lucas Giolito RHP HS
    2. Max Fried LHP HS
    3. Courtney Hawkins OF HS
    4. Richie Shaffer 3B Clemson
    5. Drew Heaney LHP Oklahoma St
    6. Chris Stratton RHP Mississippi St

SANDWICH ROUND (#49 and #56)

1. Victor Roache OF Georgia Southern
    2. Joey Gallo 3B HS
    3. Matt Smoral LHP HS
    4. Addison Rusell SS HS
    5. Barrett Barnes OF Texas
    6. Corey Seager 3B HS
    7. Lucas Sims RHP HS
    8. Tanner Rahier 3B HS
    9. Ty Hensley RHP HS
    10. Hunter Virant LHP HS
    (tie) Pierce Johnson RHP Missouri State

Let the games begin!
    I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see any chance that Hawkins or Fried are on the board by the time the Reds pick. Every mock draft I have seen has them taken before the Reds even pick. Most have Shaffer taken before the Reds pick too, but he seems to be a bit closer to where the Reds pick in many mocks.

Giolito is fascinating though because almost every mock draft I've seen have him picked right after the Reds. So I think the Reds have a very realistic chance of picking him up if they want him. Are the Reds truly interested and will they take the risk? I hope they do.

John Fay tweeted that Baseball America expects us to either take high school outfielder Courtney Hawkins or Oklahoma State Lefty pitcher Andrew Heaney if available.
    BA also speculating that the Reds will take Marrero if Hawkins and Heaney aren't there. Not sure I believe the chatter at this point....

Also, Jonathan Mayo has the Reds taking Stephen Piscotty.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Interestingly, he doesn't have Giolito going in the 1st round at all.

I am also intrigued by Walker. The biggest question for me with him is whether he can play the OF defensively, or is merely a 1B/DH type. Obviously he has very little value to the Reds if the latter.

If he can play the OF, he would be a good name to consider in the second or third round.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    BA also speculating that the Reds will take Marrero if Hawkins and Heaney aren't there. Not sure I believe the chatter at this point....
    I really hope this isn't true (about Marrero). They said it so definitively too...

I'd MUCH rather take a chance on Giolito, and worst case have the #15 pick in next year's draft if he's too unhealthy to justify his high asking price. Or at least go after one of the bats that could play somewhere other than one position on the field. We don't need to use our first round pick on another DiDi Gregorius, especially with Cozart looking like he could be in Cincy for a while.

I'd be very happy with Hawkins and content with Heaney.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-04-2012 at 02:38 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?