Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
Results 316 to 330 of 581

Thread: Official 2012 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

  1. #316
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,472

    Re: Official 2012 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

    Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Ready to call him Meat?
    Or "Gilmore"?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #317
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    5,231

    Re: Official 2012 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

    I think you look at the Reds recent record and Buckley's team's track record and give them the benefit. Obviously this kid is somewhat raw but just as obviously he has some big potential. They must like his "makeup" and 6-2 215 the kid has a strong frame to work with already. Sounds like a Clemens build. As for the hockey - are you kidding? A pitcher with a hockey mentality? That's fantastic!

  4. #318
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    9,967

    Re: Official 2012 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

    Seager to the Dodgers. Glad he did not go to the Cards. I like that kid.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  5. #319
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: Official 2012 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

    Cards get Wacha.

  6. #320
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    5,231

    Re: Official 2012 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

    Wacha to the Cards. He'll be up quick.

  7. #321
    Member powersackers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,185

    Re: Official 2012 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

    I was disappointed in the HS arm selection so I turned off the broadcast. Guess I missed the interview. For the best I suppose. Just like Stephenson, we won't see or hear another word from this kid for at least 12 mos after tomorrow's news reports.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

  8. #322
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: Official 2012 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

    Ouch, the player comp is Jon Garland? Are they basically saying he will briefly trick people into thinking he's good, but will eventually suck? That's harsh.

  9. #323
    Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Portland, OR (West Chester, OH)
    Posts
    6,091

    Re: Official 2012 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Wacha to the Cards. He'll be up quick.
    He was just compared to Jon Garland. Although one commentator thought he'd be better. His highest rated pitch is his changeup. And his curveball was a *future* 4.

  10. #324
    OlafTheBlack Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    2,354

    Re: Official 2012 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

    Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Or "Gilmore"?
    Hey now, that's my last name. Careful.
    Sabermetrics can be boiled down to this simple truism: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

  11. #325
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    5,231

    Re: Official 2012 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

    Nick Travieso has made gigantic strides over the past 12 months, transforming himself from a thrower into a true starting pitcher. Prior to his senior year at Archbishop McCarthy, Travieso was a seldom-used reliever who simply threw hard. His fastball sat in the low 90 mph range, and was clocked as high as 95-96 mph. In the summer before his senior year, he was invited to a Team USA tryout camp, where he pitched alongside many other potential first round picks in the 2012 draft, including Lucas Giolito. He didn’t make the team, but the experience opened his eyes to what it means to be an actual pitcher.

    Thanks to his stuff as well as graduations from his school, Travieso was moved into the rotation as an 18 year old, and he began to unleash the potential hidden in his right arm. His velocity went up a notch, as he started sitting 91-95 mph, while reaching back for 98 mph when necessary. He also generates good sink on his fastball, as he utilizes his near overhand release point to generate a downward plane on his pitches. Perhaps his biggest improvement is the development of his secondary pitches. Travieso’s changeup made improvements, but like most high school pitchers, it needs a lot of work. He throws it with decent arm speed, but he fails to consistently locate it down in the zone, something that hitters in affiliated ball will take advantage of. His slider is a different story, as he buries it down in the zone very well. The pitch sits in the low 80’s, peaking as high as 86 mph, with sharp, late break. Travieso has recently been working on developing a two-seam fastball as well, as currently none of his pitches have arm side movement.

    Travieso isn’t overly athletic, but he displays the athleticism he has with his mechanics. His delivery is clean and repeatable, and he throws from a high 3/4 arm slot. His outstanding arm strength allows him to generate exceptional arm speed, which is the biggest influence on his current plus fastball velocity. He maintained good walk numbers throughout his high school career, but that speaks more to the lack of discipline in the amateur ranks. In affiliated ball, he’ll need to significantly refine his command and control. Like most top prospects coming out of high school, Travieso also performed well as a hitter, playing first base. Luckily for teams, he has acknowledged that his future is on the mound, and shouldn’t make things difficult in that regard.

  12. #326
    Red's fan mbgrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    2,023

    Re: Official 2012 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Wacha to the Cards. He'll be up quick.
    116 Ks in 113 innings in the Big 12 in college. I don't know that he will have anywhere near a 9.0 K/9 rate in the pros....
    __________________
    "I think he'd be unbelievable. He's as organized as anyone in the game, he holds people accountable... He doesn't buy into stereotypical things in the game... Price looks at evidence. He's a freaking smart guy, he makes his decision on reasonable evidence." Bronson Arroyo

  13. #327
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,696

    Re: Official 2012 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Nick Travieso has made gigantic strides over the past 12 months, transforming himself from a thrower into a true starting pitcher. Prior to his senior year at Archbishop McCarthy, Travieso was a seldom-used reliever who simply threw hard. His fastball sat in the low 90 mph range, and was clocked as high as 95-96 mph. In the summer before his senior year, he was invited to a Team USA tryout camp, where he pitched alongside many other potential first round picks in the 2012 draft, including Lucas Giolito. He didn’t make the team, but the experience opened his eyes to what it means to be an actual pitcher.

    Thanks to his stuff as well as graduations from his school, Travieso was moved into the rotation as an 18 year old, and he began to unleash the potential hidden in his right arm. His velocity went up a notch, as he started sitting 91-95 mph, while reaching back for 98 mph when necessary. He also generates good sink on his fastball, as he utilizes his near overhand release point to generate a downward plane on his pitches. Perhaps his biggest improvement is the development of his secondary pitches. Travieso’s changeup made improvements, but like most high school pitchers, it needs a lot of work. He throws it with decent arm speed, but he fails to consistently locate it down in the zone, something that hitters in affiliated ball will take advantage of. His slider is a different story, as he buries it down in the zone very well. The pitch sits in the low 80’s, peaking as high as 86 mph, with sharp, late break. Travieso has recently been working on developing a two-seam fastball as well, as currently none of his pitches have arm side movement.

    Travieso isn’t overly athletic, but he displays the athleticism he has with his mechanics. His delivery is clean and repeatable, and he throws from a high 3/4 arm slot. His outstanding arm strength allows him to generate exceptional arm speed, which is the biggest influence on his current plus fastball velocity. He maintained good walk numbers throughout his high school career, but that speaks more to the lack of discipline in the amateur ranks. In affiliated ball, he’ll need to significantly refine his command and control. Like most top prospects coming out of high school, Travieso also performed well as a hitter, playing first base. Luckily for teams, he has acknowledged that his future is on the mound, and shouldn’t make things difficult in that regard.
    Great stuff Jake.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 06-04-2012 at 09:16 PM.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  14. #328
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    5,231

    Re: Official 2012 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

    Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    116 Ks in 113 innings in the Big 12 in college. I don't know that he will have anywhere near a 9.0 K/9 rate in the pros....
    probably not but he's very polished like Leake. He'll move quickly.

  15. #329
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,370

    Re: Official 2012 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I think you look at the Reds recent record and Buckley's team's track record and give them the benefit. Obviously this kid is somewhat raw but just as obviously he has some big potential. They must like his "makeup" and 6-2 215 the kid has a strong frame to work with already. Sounds like a Clemens build. As for the hockey - are you kidding? A pitcher with a hockey mentality? That's fantastic!
    That's the thing for me. I see who the Reds draft to get the name in my head. To deadpan a pick of a group who's been scoring in the first round, and who has to take the pick with consensus and has to explain to management if the hefty bonus is wasted....well, I'm guessing they did the customary due diligence with a mid first round pick. Who am I to wonder why they didn't take the other HS pitcher?
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  16. #330
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: Official 2012 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Nick Travieso has made gigantic strides over the past 12 months, transforming himself from a thrower into a true starting pitcher. Prior to his senior year at Archbishop McCarthy, Travieso was a seldom-used reliever who simply threw hard. His fastball sat in the low 90 mph range, and was clocked as high as 95-96 mph. In the summer before his senior year, he was invited to a Team USA tryout camp, where he pitched alongside many other potential first round picks in the 2012 draft, including Lucas Giolito. He didnít make the team, but the experience opened his eyes to what it means to be an actual pitcher.

    Thanks to his stuff as well as graduations from his school, Travieso was moved into the rotation as an 18 year old, and he began to unleash the potential hidden in his right arm. His velocity went up a notch, as he started sitting 91-95 mph, while reaching back for 98 mph when necessary. He also generates good sink on his fastball, as he utilizes his near overhand release point to generate a downward plane on his pitches. Perhaps his biggest improvement is the development of his secondary pitches. Traviesoís changeup made improvements, but like most high school pitchers, it needs a lot of work. He throws it with decent arm speed, but he fails to consistently locate it down in the zone, something that hitters in affiliated ball will take advantage of. His slider is a different story, as he buries it down in the zone very well. The pitch sits in the low 80ís, peaking as high as 86 mph, with sharp, late break. Travieso has recently been working on developing a two-seam fastball as well, as currently none of his pitches have arm side movement.

    Travieso isnít overly athletic, but he displays the athleticism he has with his mechanics. His delivery is clean and repeatable, and he throws from a high 3/4 arm slot. His outstanding arm strength allows him to generate exceptional arm speed, which is the biggest influence on his current plus fastball velocity. He maintained good walk numbers throughout his high school career, but that speaks more to the lack of discipline in the amateur ranks. In affiliated ball, heíll need to significantly refine his command and control. Like most top prospects coming out of high school, Travieso also performed well as a hitter, playing first base. Luckily for teams, he has acknowledged that his future is on the mound, and shouldnít make things difficult in that regard.
    Great, entering his senior year in high school, he was a "seldom used reliever."

    This sounds like a good risk to take in the sandwich round, not with the #14 overall pick. Just not liking this. Hope I'm wrong.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25