Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2012 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

Re: Official 2012 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

Quote Originally Posted by REDSEER View Post
    Classic Braves:

"Atlanta selects ____ , (position) from (insert high school), Georgia."
    Yep. They know their state.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Perhaps I have you mixed up with someone else, but I'm recalling you giving Buckley grief every year over his picks and overall draft philosophy. If that's not you, I apologize, just going from memory.
    I just figured you were thinking of me because I still harp on the Stubbs/Lincecum thing (even though Big-Time Timmy Jam sucks this year). I am a Buckley fan, I'm just perplexed that none of the draft experts had Travieso going in the first round. Hopefully they're all wrong and our boy Buckley is right.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Still out there after 21 picks (from Kevin Goldstein's last mock): #11 Joey Gallo (HS 3B), #13 Marcos Stroman (college RHP), #16 Deven Marrero (college SS), #17 Lance McCullers Jr. (HS RHP).

Little trivia tidbit on our pick - he goes to Archbishop McCarthy High School. The school is named after Archbishop Edward McCarthy, a Cincinnati native and one time auxiliary bishop here before moving on to Phoenix, then to Miami.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by indy_dave00 View Post
    I'm liking the pick a little more as I read more on Nick. The optimist in me says a diamond in the rough, little wear and tear on his arm. It appears he has a willingness to listen and learn in his development of a down breaking slider.

Question is as a high school arm signed with the U of Miami will he sign easily? Time will tell but a strong arm with a repeatable delivery is a good start.

Not 100% sold but he has potential.
    I'm presuming there is no way the Reds would have taken Travieso without knowing he would sign. He's probably still in disbelief he was the #14 overall pick.

Since the Reds have known him for a long time maybe they have an in on getting him signed up too.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I just figured you were thinking of me because I still harp on the Stubbs/Lincecum thing (even though Big-Time Timmy Jam sucks this year). I am a Buckley fan, I'm just perplexed that none of the draft experts had Travieso going in the first round. Hopefully they're all wrong and our boy Buckley is right.
    You have said 'none of the darft experts...", but two of us have mentioned that Travieso was projected at #20 overall pick by Baseball America....they certainly qualify as draft experts.
    “This one was a perfect one. I don’t know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. … I didn’t know he could speak like that.” Brayan Pena 5/21/14

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

With all the talk they're giving Stroman and him getting to the bigs this year...I think he's going to the Cards.

Or not. :O) Blue Jays
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Nope - the Jays grabbed Stroman

The sausage king of Toronto -- Marcus Stroman.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Stroman to the Jays at 22. 5'9" college righthander, likely a reliever.

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    You have said 'none of the darft experts...", but two of us have mentioned that Travieso was projected at #20 overall pick by Baseball America....they certainly qualify as draft experts.
    Good point. My fault. (Also, that makes me feel better about the pick.)

Gallo, Shaffer, Piscotty, Roache, Walker, O'Brien, Ramsey, Trahan - there's still a number of good bats alive on the board

Hopefully the next pick loves Annie Hall and quotes Nietzsche. I doubt he will be much fun to be around though and his bat could be depressing.

Lucas Sims was just singing "Blame it on the rain" from Milli Vanilli so Trevioso liking Happy Gilmore isn't so bad. lol
    Sabermetrics is this: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

Forget the rain. It's never an official game until the Reds piss away a run between third base and home plate. - Bluegrass Redleg

Turn Off Ads?