Turn Off Ads?
Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839 LastLast

Thread: Official 2012 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

Re: Official 2012 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Law had Gelalich rated 37th overall, with Winkler not in his top 100....
    Gelarich right above Winkler on Baseball America's rankings of corner outfielders too. (2nd round for Gelarcih, 3rd/4th round for Winkler.)
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

FWIW, MLB.com has Winker rated 59th and Gelalich at 80.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/wat...12/#list=draft

How am I supposed to make off the cuff reactions with people questioning me?

I'm always afraid of the polished/low upside college guy, but we've certainly been wrong about players like that before. Cozart springs to mind.

Gelalich does have a high OBP, seems to get on base. Again, I'll give the scouts the benefit that they know a heckuva lot more than me. High ceiling pitcher, with a strong frame and 2 corner outfielders - one for power and one for OBP. Sounds like a plan

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Gelalich does have a high OBP, seems to get on base. Again, I'll give the scouts the benefit that they know a heckuva lot more than me. High ceiling pitcher, with a strong frame and 2 corner outfielders - one for power and one for OBP. Sounds like a plan
    They were the three biggest needs in the lower minors of the organization imho. I'm a big fan of this draft so far (on paper).

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Not a bad draft overall so far. I'd have loved it if they'd changed the third pick to Virant.
    Agreed. I guess we can still hold out hope they can get him tomorrow...
    Go BLUE!!!

So.... I don't guess anyone on here is a big fan of Lamarre?

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds19 View Post
    So.... I don't guess anyone on here is a big fan of Lamarre?
    I like him, but until his power improves, he looks like a mediocre starter or viable bench player.

I know you don't draft young kids to fill current major league needs.

But those two comp picks seem to be a reaction to the lack of LH bats and the lack of high batting average guys on the Reds. Winker hit .488 as a singles and doubles hitter without a lot of home run power. Gelalich hit .376 and BA reports that he is a line drive type hitter. Both lefty hitters.

I don't know why, but something tells me that Gelalich is going to be a better player than Lamarre. His power seems more legitimate. Not sure he's a future star or anything, but I think he can contribute. I think this guy may have been a better pick in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

But those two comp picks seem to be a reaction to the lack of LH bats and the lack of high batting average guys on the Reds. Winker hit .488 as a singles and doubles hitter without a lot of home run power. Gelalich hit .376 and BA reports that he is a line drive type hitter. Both lefty hitters.
    BUT - Winker is only a HS kid and he projects to have very good power down the road. Gelalich less so, he is projected more a high OBP/high Avg guy. But your main point is spot on I think.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Yeah. Hopefully they aren't both reaches.

I would have been happier with Barnum, if he had fallen to 49.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Great, entering his senior year in high school, he was a "seldom used reliever."

This sounds like a good risk to take in the sandwich round, not with the #14 overall pick. Just not liking this. Hope I'm wrong.
    The other side.of that coin, is as a hs reliever he wasn't abused over multiple seasons.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Anyone else get a Paul O'Neil vibe from the UCLA OF?

The Reds reached on all three of their picks. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It really comes down to whether you think the organization is capable of making smart reaches. Winker and Gelalich strike me as a field pick. One HS bat who hopefully fills out into into some real power and one college bat who hopefully has figured out how to play this game. It will be interesting to see where the organization starts Gelalich. There's plenty of work for a competent OF in Dayton (and Bakersfield). It would be nice to see a relatively high college bat selection like Gelalich skip Billings.

Travieso strikes me as a bit of a science project. I don't mind that with a #14 pick. The key is to keep him healthy and making steady progress. Goal #1 - avoid the immediate injury/flameout that did in Chris Gruler.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?