Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Official Draft Picks and Signings

Re: 2012 Official Draft Picks and Signings

Wow. That may be a bargain though, compared to what he might have commanded in a couple of years from now. Great news!

2. Turn Off Ads?

If my figures and RZ's running tally are correct, that leaves $97,800 for over slot offers.

Good news- now let's get Gelalich signed and hopefully playing in Dayton.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    If my figures and RZ's running tally are correct, that leaves $97,800 for over slot offers.
    With three college positon players left to sign in the top 10 picks, they could stil save more. That could even be the reason we have not heard more about Gelalich and Amarla (Mejias-Bream is still playing). The club may trying to save some cap room and negotiating fairly toughly.

If they sign the remaining guys that were in college postseason (Gelalich, Amaral, Mejias-Brean, Boyd, Matthews) and possibly Housey and then add Ortiz - I'll be ecstatic. Ortiz is the one remaining HS guy where I wouldn't mind them spending a little over capa.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 06-25-2012 at 08:17 PM.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Kivel is a done deal. Signed for $500,000
    Nice! Great news. Thanks Doug.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/
    Draft Signings: Kivel, Reynolds
    By Mike Axisa [June 25 at 8:13pm CST]
    Let's keep track of the day's notable non-first and supplemental first round draft signings here, with the latest up top...

Baseball America's Jim Callis tweets that the Reds have signed tenth round pick Jeremy Kivel for a $500K bonus -- well above the slot recommendation of $125K. Kivel, a high school right-hander out of Texas, can throw his heater at 95 mph but missed most of this season due to a torn ACL.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

This great draft just keeps looking better.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Maybe I am off, but I have us with just $33,100 left over for the over slot signings.

Chris Buckley said on Dragons radio Monday that one UCLA guy would sign Tuesday and the other by week's end.

Maybe I am off, but I have us with just $33,100 left over for the over slot signings.
    Depemds partly on what Gelalich, Amaral and Mejias-Bean sign for.

Chris Buckley said on Dragons radio Monday that one UCLA guy would sign Tuesday and the other by week's end.
    Good news. Billings is winning, but they need some more offense. Did Buckley say anything about how/when Travieso would be used this summer?

Since we're all seeing how this new system works out, I don't think it would be surprising to see plenty of clubs going over at least up to the 5% point, where you only incur the 75% penalty. Basically once they've reached the bonus threshold, teams know that every dollar over is really $1.75. For the Reds that means we could go up to $332,690 and only pay the penalty. If I'm reading things correctly, exceeding 5% means we also lose a draft pick. I don't think we want that, but I could see them deciding that bringing in the players they want, their budget can allow that extra $250K penalty to get the players they want. I don't recall whether clubs going over also lose the opportunity to take part in the extra pool for smaller market clubs (I'm thinking not).
    Last edited by redsmetz; 06-26-2012 at 08:47 AM.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Depemds partly on what Gelalich, Amaral and Mejias-Bean sign for.
    Well yes, but with the signings we have made right now, the Reds have $33,100 free to work with before they go over their 'money'.

For the Reds three remaining picks in the first 10 rounds, they can afford to go a total of $8,100 over the slot allotment without incurring penalties. They're really cutting it close.

The only one I really care about is Gelalich.

I'm sure Amaral and Mejias will sign, but I want to be sure they get Gelalich in the fold. From Buckley's comments on Dayton radio, it sounds like it shouldn't be a problem.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?