Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reds 1st Round Pick - Nick Travieso RHP

Re: Reds 1st Round Pick - Nick Travieso RHP

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Drafting HS kids have higher risk and this kid wasn't even a top 30 player. I don't like reaching especially for a pitcher and who is in HS.
    According to the Reds' sounts he obviously was a top 30 player or they wouldn't have taken him. Now we'll see who's right, ESPN or the Reds.
    Sto Pro Veritate

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Giolito was widely considered a Top 3 prospect talent-wise, and considering where your future drafts are going to be, if you had the chance to take a Top 3 talent in the draft, you HAVE to do it
    There are at least 13 major league front offices obviously didn't consider him a top 3 prospect, so I don't know how "widely considered" that might have been.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    Who says he's a reach? Let the thing play out at least for a little while.

Furthermore, in the other draft thread you said the MLB draft was the biggest crapshoot in sports, and yet you're complaining that we "reached" for a guy by picking him 14 when he was rated in the 30s? How is it possible to hold both of those opinions at the same time?
    When you take a kid who isn't even in the top 30 of almost all graders at the 14th spot, it's called a reach. Since the MLB draft is such a crapshoot why reach? I mean when there is a better odds with players who have more experience. I want to maximize my odds of getting a player who can contribute as soon as possible at this point. A pitcher, especially HS pitcher is going to take more time to develop, especially a kid like this who right now isn't a pitcher but just a hard thrower.

Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    According to the Reds' sounts he obviously was a top 30 player or they wouldn't have taken him. Now we'll see who's right, ESPN or the Reds.
    Well come around 2019 or 19 we will..

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    When you take a kid who isn't even in the top 30 of almost all graders at the 14th spot, it's called a reach. Since the MLB draft is such a crapshoot why reach? I mean when there is a better odds with players who have more experience. I want to maximize my odds of getting a player who can contribute as soon as possible at this point. A pitcher, especially HS pitcher is going to take more time to develop, especially a kid like this who right now isn't a pitcher but just a hard thrower.
    If it's a crapshoot, how can it be a reach? You're basically arguing, "Nobody knows how ANY of these players will turn out, but I can tell you we made a bad pick."

And if you EVER look at the draft as an opportunity to pick a player that can help you quickly, you're making a mistake. You pick a player that you feel good about long term, not a player that can be here in 2014. Yes, there is more of a risk with high school guys, but with a guy like this there is also a huge upside simply because of the power he possesses with his right arm.
    Last edited by RedsFanInBama; 06-05-2012 at 11:39 AM.

You can't teach 99 mph. The Reds have watched him a ton. Another factor is they feel he is signable. What good would a Giolito be if you can't sign him. Also why did so many teams pass on a guy like Giolito? There has to be a reason and we may never know.

It strikes me as very silly to criticize draft picks. I think that Buckley and the Reds might know a little bit more about these prospects than we do. Buckley has a great track record drafting players, especially in the early rounds.

I'm guessing that he knew that BA didnt have Travieso ranked as a first rounder. He obviously disagrees.

Quote Originally Posted by nw_ohio_fan View Post
    You can't teach 99 mph. The Reds have watched him a ton. Another factor is they feel he is signable. What good would a Giolito be if you can't sign him. Also why did so many teams pass on a guy like Giolito? There has to be a reason and we may never know.
    could it be the elbow injury? When I heard that it sounded like a risky pick to take him.
    Is it "next season" yet?

Turn Off Ads?