Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds 1st Round Pick - Nick Travieso RHP

Reds 1st Round Pick - Nick Travieso RHP

Nick Travieso - RHP - topped out at 99mph in some workouts

6'2" 215 (Pembroke Pines, FL)

Committed to Miami, FL

Might be a bit of a reach as he was the 33rd overall prospect in the ESPN Top 100 rankings. Scouts said he was inconsistent but very good when performing at his best. Not sure if he projects to starter or reliever at the MLB level.
    Last edited by Who Dey Time; 06-04-2012 at 08:50 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds 1st Round Pick - Nick Travieso RHP

Eck....not impressed at all. To much better talent out there...

Coach em up! How can you say you dont like the kid and never seenm in action? He's a high schooler, 1-2 punch stephenson, Travieso five years from now!

Reds will probably never pick in the top ten to draft the top college pitchers (knock on wood) with experience, so their best option is to draft high school pitcher and develop him, get that top ten pick earlier, if projections hold up

ill wait a few years to judge

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Eck....not impressed at all. To much better talent out there...
    of course ur not

It's hard enough to evaluate college football players being drafted after watching them 3-4 years, analyzing a baseball pick, especially a pick from high school is comical. I'm not saying to not talk about it, but I think saying its a good pick or a bad pick is very premature at this point to say the least.

Drafting HS kids have higher risk and this kid wasn't even a top 30 player. I don't like reaching especially for a pitcher and who is in HS.

Drafting HS kids have higher risk and this kid wasn't even a top 30 player. I don't like reaching especially for a pitcher and who is in HS.
    Who says he's a reach? Let the thing play out at least for a little while.

Furthermore, in the other draft thread you said the MLB draft was the biggest crapshoot in sports, and yet you're complaining that we "reached" for a guy by picking him 14 when he was rated in the 30s? How is it possible to hold both of those opinions at the same time?
    Last edited by RedsFanInBama; 06-05-2012 at 01:43 AM.

The draft is a crapshoot. Take the player you like. If they Reds miss on Travieso at least they went with the player they liked. If they chose based on what other people think, whether the player turned out to be a bust or a hall of famer, I would expect the person in charge of the draft to be out of a job. I'll give the reds talent evaluators the benefit of the doubt over any member on this board.

Mike Piazza in the 62nd round......what a waste. Favor? Awful pick.

im pretty sure reds you there own grade

I don't think it is a horrible pick. I came across this article: http://www.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_cin&c_id=cin

I like the pick...familar with the Reds sysytem...throws hard, coach-able, lots of upside....I like the pick and when you have a power pitcher, you like to think if he can learn to throw strikes and hit his off speed pitches for strikes, then he can make the big league team pretty quick compared to teaching a position player to hit and field at the big league level.....

I am not ready to say I love the pick, but I am going on record as saying I dont think I would have picked anyone else and been in love.....Once again, if they can teach him an off speed pitch and teach him to throw strikes, you might just see this kid pretty quick. you cannot teach speed and you cannot teach the bulldog mentality.....lets hope he turns out to be a gem.

My problem with the pick is this...If you assume this team is going to contend the next 5-6 years, which by the financial commitment management made, that this is what they believe, you are going to be drafting 21-30 the next 5-6 years....

Giolito was widely considered a Top 3 prospect talent-wise, and considering where your future drafts are going to be, if you had the chance to take a Top 3 talent in the draft, you HAVE to do it

Turn Off Ads?