Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Nick Travieso

Re: Nick Travieso

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Just wondering if the discount may have had anything to do with the pick (since he was expected to go later than 14)?
    I think the fact that the Reds scouting department had been close to him for a while combined with the fact his ranking was in the 30s meant the Reds were relatively certain he would be there when they picked and I am sure they discussed numbers ahead of time.

Along those lines by my calculations with the guys signed so far, even with the above slot money to Felt the Reds are still under budget by about 320K. Not sure if any of the guys they drafted later are tough signs, but they might be able to do some things.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    I think the fact that the Reds scouting department had been close to him for a while combined with the fact his ranking was in the 30s meant the Reds were relatively certain he would be there when they picked and I am sure they discussed numbers ahead of time.

Along those lines by my calculations with the guys signed so far, even with the above slot money to Felt the Reds are still under budget by about 320K. Not sure if any of the guys they drafted later are tough signs, but they might be able to do some things.
    Thanks, krm1580.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Will Travieso pitch at all for the Reds farm system this year or will they save his arm since he's been pitching high school season?

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Will Travieso pitch at all for the Reds farm system this year or will they save his arm since he's been pitching high school season?
    I think given how early he signed, that he'll pitch somewhere this summer. My guess he's still in training somewhere preparing. Then again, I don't know how these things go, so maybe someone else has a clearer picture.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I would like to see him pitch somewhere this summer, so that (in my ideal world) Travieso, Stephenson, Cisco, and Romano could all be in the Dayton rotation next year.

Or maybe depending on how the rest of this season goes, someone like Cisco could skip to Advanced A next year, and one or two from Guillon/Garrett/Mugarian/Langfield/Moscot could join the Dayton rotation. Langfield might be another guy who could start in Advanced A next year.

I'd expect Felt and Kivel to spend another year in Rookie League.
    Go BLUE!!!

I would imagine that Stephenson , Mugarian, and maybe Langfield and Moscot could go to Dayton. Perhaps Cisco as well.

But there's little chance Travieso goes to Dayton next season or Cisco gets a bump to Bakersfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I would imagine that Stephenson , Mugarian, and maybe Langfield and Moscot could go to Dayton. Perhaps Cisco as well.

But there's little chance Travieso goes to Dayton next season or Cisco gets a bump to Bakersfield.
    You might be right.

But there is significant precedent for top 15 HS draft picks starting in full season ball the year after they are drafted- especially if/when they sign (and play) early the year they are drafted. In fact every HS pitcher from the last four drafts selected in the first 15 picks started the following year in full season A ball. So did Clayton Kershaw and of course, Homer Bailey, just to name a couple of others.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-27-2012 at 08:38 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    You might be right.

But there is significant precedent for top 15 HS draft picks starting in full season ball the year after they are drafted- especially if/when they sign (and play) early the year they are drafted. In fact every HS pitcher from the last four drafts selected in the first 15 picks started the following year in full season A ball. So did Clayton Kershaw and of course, Homer Bailey, just to name a couple of others.
    Yea Stephenson was an exception to the rule for whatever reason. Would be pretty surprised if Traveiso didn't start in Dayton, especially considering he'll get a decent amount of experience this summer.

Stephenson may have been held back based on mechanics. Travieso shouldn't have that issue. He is ready to go from that pov.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
    Stephenson may have been held back based on mechanics. Travieso shouldn't have that issue. He is ready to go from that pov.
    I wonder if Travieso gets held back more due to the fact he had only one year starting in high school and the Reds would really like to control his usage and they can do that a whole lot more in EST rather than sending him to Dayton to begin 2013.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I wonder if Travieso gets held back more due to the fact he had only one year starting in high school and the Reds would really like to control his usage and they can do that a whole lot more in EST rather than sending him to Dayton to begin 2013.
    Yeah, I tend to think if Stephenson began the 2012 season at Billings, then Travieso will begin the 2013 season at Billings. I bet the Reds keep them on similar schedules until their production dictates otherwise. Then again, there is one main difference between Stephenson and Travieso: Travieso will actually get some pro experience the same year he was drafted (I don't expect him to pitch much with the AZL Reds this year, but he'll get a few starts where they really limit his pitch count). Stephenson basically sat out a full year before pitching in a real game (not counting extended spring training). If Travieso does well in low rookie ball this year, I could see a scenario where he begins 2013 in Dayton. However, for now, I would guess he'll start 2013 in Billings and Stephenson will start '13 in Dayton.
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 06-28-2012 at 01:05 AM.

I'm guessing Travieso pitches this year in the AZL and next in Billings.

If he finds a consistent breaking release point on his breaking ball, continues good mechanics, and pitches well between now and then in the AZL, Spring Training and Extended Spring Training, he might move into the Dayton rotation if someone else struggles or isn't much of a prospect.

That's an awful lot of if's.

He'd face to force his way onto the Dayton roster between now and then, IMO.

Is Travieso going to pitch in an actual game this season?

(Unrelated to this thread, but I wonder the same thing about Amir Garrett and Mason Felt)
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I would expect Garrett for sure. The high schoolers, not as sure. I imagine so, but I also don't know what their full workload was like.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

So there's actually a very outside chance that Travieso, Stephenson, and Garrett could all be in the rotation at some point for Dayton in 2013?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Turn Off Ads?