Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Nick Travieso

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Nick Travieso

Quote Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
    Travieso's mechanics are better than Stephs were this time last year. I think that is the reason why Stephenson hasn't pitched at Dayton the whole year like most first rounders do.

I suspect Travieso will go straight to Dayton.
    I would bet he winds up in rookie ball first.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'd be stunned if he doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Maybe off topic, but does the fact that Stephenson's only throwing short season ball say anything about the organization's opinion of him or are they just being more cautious these days? Even Phillipe Valiquette started in Dayton if I remember correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Maybe off topic, but does the fact that Stephenson's only throwing short season ball say anything about the organization's opinion of him or are they just being more cautious these days? Even Phillipe Valiquette started in Dayton if I remember correct.
    This says the world about the care the Reds now take with high profile arms. They are reportedly working with his mechanics and teaching him a change of pace before letting him loose on the competitive world. Long time from the days when a first rounder might hurl 180 innings right out of the gate. It was dog eat dog then but now the dog costs a few million dollars they're a lot more cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    It would seem that after JC Sulbaran went to Dayton and got his brains beat in, the Reds decided to go a little slower with these guys right out of high school. Toss in that he spent the time working on his change up in a controlled environment rather than game situations where he may want to go to other pitches to get outs since 'it counts' and I don't think it is a real bad idea. Certainly I would have liked to see him in Dayton, but they were able to control his arm and innings much easier this way and spend the first 3 months of the season working specifically on things that he may not have been able to do if he had been in Dayton.

Well this was fast, nice to see! From Jim Callis:

#Reds sign 1st-rder Nick Travieso for $2 mil (pick value=$2,375,000). Florida HS RHP w/91-95 to 98 FB, hard slider. #mlbdraft

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    Well this was fast, nice to see! From Jim Callis:
    I know the rule changes were partly to speed this up and get these guys in the fold, when is the last time we didn't have a 1st rounder drag out for most of the summer? It will be good to see him get some playing time yet this summer, no matter how small that may or may not be.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Reds To Sign Nick Travieso

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [June 12, 2012 at 2:43pm CST]

The Reds will officially sign first round pick Nick Travieso, Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com reports. Travieso, the 14th overall selection, will obtain a $2MM bonus.

MLB recommended a $2.375MM bonus for the 14th selection, so the Reds save toward their overall draft cap with the agreement. The high school right-hander has a fastball that touches 98 and a hard slider, Jim Callis of Baseball America
    tweets

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I know the rule changes were partly to speed this up and get these guys in the fold, when is the last time we didn't have a 1st rounder drag out for most of the summer? It will be good to see him get some playing time yet this summer, no matter how small that may or may not be.
    Mesoraco in 2007. Stubbs in 2006. Bruce in 2005. All guys played nearly a full rookie ball season.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Mesoraco in 2007. Stubbs in 2006. Bruce in 2005. All guys played nearly a full rookie ball season.
    So it's been five years since we've landed one early enough. I like.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Yeah, this will make it fun following the AZL Reds this year. They should have Travieso, Winker and Rahier all playing there. Maybe Rosa too, although he'll probably go to Billings.

Billings will be fun to follow too. Stephenson, Rosa (probably), Langfield (one of my favorite picks of the draft), etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Yeah, this will make it fun following the AZL Reds this year. They should have Travieso, Winker and Rahier all playing there. Maybe Rosa too, although he'll probably go to Billings.

Billings will be fun to follow too. Stephenson, Rosa (probably), Langfield (one of my favorite picks of the draft), etc.
    Rosa is just 18 years old. Wouldn't surprise me to see him back in Arizona. Winker is all of 5 weeks younger than Rosa is.

Also Jonathan Perez, their big ticket signee out of VZ last year.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by indy_dave00 View Post
    The Reds will officially sign first round pick Nick Travieso, Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com reports. Travieso, the 14th overall selection, will obtain a $2MM bonus.

MLB recommended a $2.375MM bonus for the 14th selection, so the Reds save toward their overall draft cap with the agreement.
    Just wondering if the discount may have had anything to do with the pick (since he was expected to go later than 14)?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post

I think Goodyear and Billings will be more fun to follow than the rest of the system has been this year (with the possible exception of Bakersfield). A lot of interesting players and storylines at the bottom of the organization.

Turn Off Ads?