Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jesse Winker

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Jesse Winker

A HS corner OF with a stick. I like it. Please use this thread for scouting reports, links and comments on the Reds sandwich (#49) selection.
    Go BLUE!!!

Re: Jesse Winker

I don't know enough about who was available to objectively say this was a great pick, but I'm loving the scouting reports on Winker. Looks like he'll have plenty of power to tap into as he develops, and it just warms my heart to hear people raving about his plate approach.

Watched the video with this one. Sounds like he's not using a metal bat; which I think is good. Anyone else who is versed in these things concur with that?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

His swing reminds me of David Justice. Me like.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I thought his brother was Fonzie, aka "The Fonz".....

I really like his swing. He looks like a ballplayer to me. An unexpected but good pick!

I'm actually liking all three of the Reds picks the more I read and find out about them.

He's either got short legs or a long torso/neck, not sure how you want to look at it, but the only player I can recognize like that is Mauer.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    He's either got short legs or a long torso/neck, not sure how you want to look at it, but the only player I can recognize like that is Mauer.
    Tino Martinez.

He showed up for the 2011 Perfect Game National Showcase as a different type of player, running a 7.1 60 and showing fundamentally polished and athletic actions in the outfield on defense. The player who looked like a future left field/first base candidate now looked like an accomplished defensive right fielder with an impressive throwing arm.
    Guess that means he should man LF pretty well.

But it will eventually be Winker’s power and consistency at the plate that will determine how high he is drafted. Nowhere was that hitting ability more apparent than at the 2011 WWBA World Championships in Jupiter, Florida, where FTB Mizuno put together an all All-American outfield of Winker, David Dahl and Albert Almora. Winker’s bat stood out even among his FTB Mizuno teammates, and he hit two home runs and led all players at the tournament in RBI.
    Good stuff.

PG Crosschecker
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

After Rahier, Winker is my second favorite pick in this draft.

And I don't mind the Travieso pick.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?