Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Jesse Winker

Re: Jesse Winker

I would agree with you...good chance Winker stays in Dayton for the full season. Yes, most Reds prospects have at least passed through Dayton in recent years. Exceptions would include Cingrani, Alonso, Boxberger, Grandal, but those were understandable situations. All needed to be higher. Problems winning in Dayton have generally not been because top prospects went somewhere else.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    I would agree with you...good chance Winker stays in Dayton for the full season. Yes, most Reds prospects have at least passed through Dayton in recent years. Exceptions would include Cingrani, Alonso, Boxberger, Grandal, but those were understandable situations. All needed to be higher. Problems winning in Dayton have generally not been because top prospects went somewhere else.
    Wow, I didn't realize how many exceptions there were to what I said. I guess all four guys you listed were college players so it appears that most, if not all, high school guys who were drafted in the first few rounds have played a full year in Dayton, unless there are other exceptions.

Either way, I hope Winker keeps on raking so we can add a great, cheap bat to the lineup when Phillips, Bruce, Votto and Cueto start getting really expensive.

4. Likes:

REDREAD (05-14-2013)

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Just me or is he a bit of a strider? As in just a hair too long.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

6. Likes:

HokieRed (05-15-2013)

He's an Aragorn? Even better.

8. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (05-19-2013),RedLegsToday (05-19-2013)

After yesterday's games (5/18), Jesse is 6th in the Midwest League in OPS. Right behind the awesomely named Rock Shoulders.

Of the top 10 in OPS, Jesse and Byron Buxton are the only two still in their teens.

Not too shabby.

10. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (05-19-2013),Edd Roush (05-20-2013)

Serious question: if they redrafted last year's crop, would Winker now be a Top 10 pick?

Or is 100 games too early to assume he'd jump 40 spots?
    Last edited by Benihana; 05-19-2013 at 10:05 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I think he would absolutely be a top-10 pick if they re-did the draft. Here you have a kid who was in high school at this time a year ago who has done nothing but rake since joining the professional ranks last June. Tore up Billings and after a slow start at Dayton is tearing up the Midwest League. He's playing with and against guys that are three (or four) years older than him and played three years of college ball ... but he's way better than them.

What I also love about him is his walk total. He obviously has an excellent approach at the plate. He's a future starting corner outfielder for the Reds for sure. What a steal he was in the supplemental first round. It's almost as if he was the Reds' first-round pick and Travieso was one of the supplemental guys. Nothing against Travieso; it's just that Winker is that good.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Serious question: if they redrafted last year's crop, would Winker now be a Top 10 pick?

Or is 100 games too early to assume he'd jump 40 spots?
    I don't think he would. Top 20, probably. But top 10 is going to be for pitchers and up the middle tools guys.

Who in the top 10 is going to be kicked out at this point?
    Correa is doing well. Buxton is making Winker look like just a solid hitter in the same league at the same age. Zunino is struggling some, albeit he is in AAA. Gausman has 49 strikeouts and 5 walks in AA. Zimmer has 48 strikeouts in 37 innings. Almora is not playing yet, but hit .321 last year with some power and he plays center. Fried has a 2.35 ERA. Heaney is on the DL with a lat strain, but did well last year. David Dahl was in the same league as Winker last year and significantly outhit him. That is the top 10, without Appel who didn't sign. The guy who went 11th in a teenager in the Cal League. Rocking a low BABIP with a strong walk rate and good power, but a high strikeout rate.

I don't even think the Reds would rank him ahead of a guy like Travieso at this point.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't think he would. Top 20, probably. But top 10 is going to be for pitchers and up the middle tools guys.

Who in the top 10 is going to be kicked out at this point?
    Correa is doing well. Buxton is making Winker look like just a solid hitter in the same league at the same age. Zunino is struggling some, albeit he is in AAA. Gausman has 49 strikeouts and 5 walks in AA. Zimmer has 48 strikeouts in 37 innings. Almora is not playing yet, but hit .321 last year with some power and he plays center. Fried has a 2.35 ERA. Heaney is on the DL with a lat strain, but did well last year. David Dahl was in the same league as Winker last year and significantly outhit him. That is the top 10, without Appel who didn't sign. The guy who went 11th in a teenager in the Cal League. Rocking a low BABIP with a strong walk rate and good power, but a high strikeout rate.

I don't even think the Reds would rank him ahead of a guy like Travieso at this point.
    1. I bet the Reds WOULD rank Winker over Travieso at this point. And Travieso was the 14th overall pick, so we're not far from the top-10.

2. I bet the Pirates would rather have Winker than not have Appel. So, there's at least one top-10 pick there.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    1. I bet the Reds WOULD rank Winker over Travieso at this point. And Travieso was the 14th overall pick, so we're not far from the top-10.

2. I bet the Pirates would rather have Winker than not have Appel. So, there's at least one top-10 pick there.

1. I really don't think they would.

2. I bet the Pirates would rather have Addison Russell than Winker. Or Wacha. Or Berrios.

The 2012 draft, at this point, is not having too many people come out and just fall flat on their faces at this point. Even guys like Winker who have come out and basically just beat up all competition they have faced, he can only move up so much because other guys are also doing pretty well and Winker is certainly limited by the fact that he is a left fielder, so he has to rake.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (05-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The 2012 draft, at this point, is not having too many people come out and just fall flat on their faces at this point. Even guys like Winker who have come out and basically just beat up all competition they have faced, he can only move up so much because other guys are also doing pretty well and Winker is certainly limited by the fact that he is a left fielder, so he has to rake.
    Agreed.

Winker is a damn fine hitter and I am glad the Reds have him, but he doesn't have a lot of projection outside of his hit tool. His power is just OK, his athleticism is poor, and his glove is suspect. He had better be a monster at the dish, because the rest of his game is below average. If his bat falters at all, he doesn't have any other redeeming qualities to get him to the majors.

thorn

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Agreed.

Winker is a damn fine hitter and I am glad the Reds have him, but he doesn't have a lot of projection outside of his hit tool. His power is just OK, his athleticism is poor, and his glove is suspect. He had better be a monster at the dish, because the rest of his game is below average. If his bat falters at all, he doesn't have any other redeeming qualities to get him to the majors.
    isn't this true for anyone not playing SS or C?

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    isn't this true for anyone not playing SS or C?
    Not really. Left fielders are just above first basemen on the defensive spectrum, so they need to hit more than everyone else. Center fielders, second baseman and even third basemen these days have defensive values that can be quite valuable.

From Baseball America:

Jesse Winker, of, Reds: Winker’s 2013 season started off as a disaster. Two weeks into the season, he was hitting .139. For a slow outfielder whose bat is going to have to carry him to the big leagues, it was not exactly a great first impression for low Class A Dayton fans. In the 24 games since, he’s quickly changed some minds. Since that lowpoint, Winker has hit .372 with seven doubles and four home runs and nearly as many walks (13) as strikeouts (16). He kept it up with a 2-for-4 day with a double and home run on Tuesday.

Winker is already a full-time left fielder, so there aren’t many other options on the defensive spectrum for him, but his sweet swing does look to be good enough to make it as a bat-first outfielder whose hitting makes up for any concerns defensively.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Meh. Appreciate the info on Winker.

But the Reds have had plenty of mediocre to below-average left fielders. Dunn comes to mind. Gomes? Paul? I don't even think Ludwick is that great.

If Winker can hit 20 HR's and bat .300 in the majors, I'm sure his defense will be adequate enough.

We've all given Choo a pass because of his offensive prowess.

Turn Off Ads?