Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jeff Gelalich

Re: Jeff Gelalich

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Gelalich was named to Baseball America's First Team College All-American team. Impressive.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...2/2613590.html

Now let's get him signed and playing (for Dayton? Bakersfield?)
    I believe he's already signed. In an interview in the signing thread, Buckley said he would be reporting Satuday. He mentioned that a lot of the delay between their final CWS game and the time they report is getting things squared away like packing up their campus apartments, etc.

2. Turn Off Ads?

http://twitter.com/jimcallisBA/statu...82687238418432

‪#Reds‬ sign supp 1st-rder Jeff Gelalich for $825k (pick value=$897,800). ‪#UCLA‬ OF had breakout year, avg to plus tools across board ‪#mlbdraft‬

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Have to start him at Dayton IMO. Hell, LaMarre was a second-rounder (not compensatory first rounder) and they started HIM out at Dayton right after the draft. Using that precedent -- and hoping that Gelalich is better than LaMarre -- I'd have to say Gelalich will begin his pro career with the Dragons.

I'd also guess Dayton. Low A Ball is a jump from high Division I, but not too high a jump.

I hope Gelalich continues to hit well. I'm interested in which OF position he'll play. I'd think he'd play RF (I have visions of Paul O'Neil when I see his video).

I've seen a dozen or so of his at-bats and everything he hits is right on the screws

Has Gelalich been assigned to a team yet? Would like to see him start to get some professional AB now that July is upon us.
    Go BLUE!!!

Has Gelalich been assigned to a team yet? Would like to see him start to get some professional AB now that July is upon us.
    He probably has, but so far, none of the guys involved Gelalich, Amaral, Pigott or Housey have had destinations annouced yet. Not sure Matthews or Mejias-Brean have officially signed yet. In a recent interview, Buckley said Gelalich would be reporting to Goodyear today (I think they work them out a bit there and then assign them to teams based on evaluation It wouldn't surprise me if Pigott and Amaral showed up on rosters in the next couple of days with Gellich in about a week. Not sure is they get some kind of roster exemption or how long it lasts.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 06-30-2012 at 12:51 PM.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Why is Gelalich not at Dayton yet? Is there an injury we don't know about perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Why is Gelalich not at Dayton yet? Is there an injury we don't know about perhaps?
    Gelalich was supposed to have reported to Goodyear this past Saturday. Amaral and Pigott took about a week to show up at Billings after reporting to Arizona. My guess is they do some workouts and evaluation at he Goodyear complex before adding them to their initial team. Wonder if signes have a roster exemption of X number of days after reporting?

I'd expect Gelalich to show up on a roster (most likely Dayton's) by Monday - if not sooner.

Is it time to start worrying a little about Gelalich?

VERY small sample size - 70 AB, but he is a 22 year old sandwich pick from a big time college program who is struggling to hit in the launching pad of Billings. He has a .229/.341/.371 line for a .713 OPS with 23 K and 9 BB. Not atrocious, but you'd like to see a lot better from a first round pick out of UCLA- especially one who is not a premium defensive player and doesn't play a premium defensive position. I was surprised he wasn't starting in Dayton, I figured he'd mash in Billings. So far I'm disappointed.
    Go BLUE!!!

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

VERY small sample size - 70 AB, but he is a 22 year old sandwich pick from a big time college program who is struggling to hit in the launching pad of Billings. He has a .229/.341/.371 line for a .713 OPS with 23 K and 9 BB. Not atrocious, but you'd like to see a lot better from a first round pick out of UCLA- especially one who is not a premium defensive player and doesn't play a premium defensive position. I was surprised he wasn't starting in Dayton, I figured he'd mash in Billings. So far I'm disappointed.
    I'll give him the rest of this season before I assess his performance. I personally didn't like the pick at the time, but he has plenty of time to turn my opinion around on him. Since the Reds invested a sandwich round pick on him, I am sure he will be given every opportunity to prove he is a major league outfielder over the next 5.5 years.

Pretty unusual for a 22 year old 1st round pick to start in the Rookie league to begin with. Most would skip it and go straight to Low-A Ball. Some guys struggle at the beginning going from a metal bat to a wood bat!
    Last edited by j_m_t_us; 08-02-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Turn Off Ads?