Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Promotions Coming Soon

Promotions Coming Soon

With the draft upon us and soon-to-be first-time professionals playing their new trade at the lower levels, some in Dayton, Bakersfield, and Pensacola will move up. The most likely suspects:

Dayton
    Ryan Wright 2B

He's been pretty much the only offensive player worth talking about the entire season, showing an advanced feel for hitting, plate patience, and doubles power. He's 22, so he probably needs to be moved up.

Carlos Contreras RP
    No pitcher really deserves to be moved up, but, with the influx on college arms soon to be in the system, Contreras might be challenged. He's shown a much-improved ability to miss bats and hasn't allowed many hits at all as Dayton's closer. That may get him to Bakersfield, especially if the Reds draft college relievers early, a strength of this particular draft.

(I tend to think some of Dayton's struggling pitchers will soon be met with the dreaded red locker tag or the demotion to Billings. Candidates abound.)

Bakersfield
    Billy Hamilton SS

He's among the top ten in virtually every California League offensive category aside from HR. A bounce-back to his current line (.327/.412/.462/.874)-- especially as a SS-- may mean he moves up. This would make some sense, as another possible promotion candidate, Devin Lohman, can move to SS and Wright to 2B. May not move due to month-long struggles of DiDi Gregorius, desire to see him succeed for an entire year, see how he adjusts to High A as the year wears on, or showcase for trade bait.

Donald Lutz LF
    Injured for now, Lutz is 23 and learning a new position. He's raked in Bakersfield and is among the the league leaders in OPS, HR, and has shown a two-year plus hit tool. A move to Pensacola makes sense, as they have no LF at all. As an added bonus, moving Lutz could move Duran to LF, his likely major league position. (Assuming he gets there.)

Bryson Smith CF
    The former Gator is also 23 and has hit well for two years and three rungs of the minor league ladder. His OPS and BA are both among California League leaders and he, like Lutz, needs to be challenged. A natural CF, he could move up and move LaMarre to RF, which would help Lutz adapt to speedy OF mates.

Brian Pearl RP
    One reason Contreras may very well move up is that Pearl has been so good. He's 24, extremely old for High A and desperately needs to be moved up if he wants to be considered any kind of prospect at all. The most likely promotion, IMO, on the Red radar.

Pensacola
    Josh Fellhauer OF

Fellhauer's hit this year, after struggling for a couple years. He's 24, so a move to Louisville makes sense. His 850 OPS and almost 1:1 K:BB ratio indicate he could make the switch. It helps (?) that the AAA Bats need OF help in the worst of ways.

Donnie Joseph RP
    His second tour of AA has certainly been better than his first. Joseph struggled all year in 2011 to find his stuff. He's found it. There's nothing left to prove at AA, and, with Pearl possibly moving up, it makes sense that Joseph go to Lousville. The Bats definitely need him. A possible September call-up to the big club.

Louisville
    Joey Gathright OF/ PR
    I know. I know. But he has hit in all 10 games he's played in AAA. He can play all three OF positions and has SPEED. It wouldn't surprise me to see him called up as Frazier becomes the erstwhile starter at 3B (with a Cairo assist). Costanza could then be moved back down to AAA.

Others I'm missing?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Promotions Coming Soon

Has Henry Rodriguez officially been promoted to Louisville? I know he's on the DL, but he should be in Louisville once he's healthy enough to play again.

Also while he has certainly struggled with the stick, they may bump Gregorius to Louisville (with H-Rod) in order to make room for Hamilton- if you assume Hamilton is destined for Pensacola.
    Go BLUE!!!

I was really hoping this would be about a Chad Reineke bobblehead night. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Louisville
    Joey Gathright OF/ PR
    I know. I know. But he has hit in all 10 games he's played in AAA. He can play all three OF positions and has SPEED. It wouldn't surprise me to see him called up as Frazier becomes the erstwhile starter at 3B (with a Cairo assist). Costanza could then be moved back down to AAA.

Others I'm missing?
    I would definitely prefer Gathright to Constanzo. He can make contact, run and field. I'm sure Mike is a nice, but he's pretty clearly not a major-leaguer. Garthright may be replacement level, but that's a step up from Constanzo.

One guy you didn't mention is Paul Janish, who is showing that when the BABIP gods stop punishing him he can be a useful player.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Has Henry Rodriguez officially been promoted to Louisville? I know he's on the DL, but he should be in Louisville once he's healthy enough to play again.

Also while he has certainly struggled with the stick, they may bump Gregorius to Louisville (with H-Rod) in order to make room for Hamilton- if you assume Hamilton is destined for Pensacola.
    I'm guessing that Rodriguez stays in AA to test his hand and that Costanzo will be sent down to AAA shortly. For the short term, I think Rodriguez stays in Pensacola. (Part of that has to do with Vidal, who's struggling mightily after his call-up.)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I really thought Fleury would move up.

Vidal's struggle is what sometimes happens when they hit AA. It's a big jump, especially for hitters. I think he'll be fine but he'll need to work it out.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I would definitely prefer Gathright to Constanzo. He can make contact, run and field. I'm sure Mike is a nice, but he's pretty clearly not a major-leaguer. Garthright may be replacement level, but that's a step up from Constanzo.

One guy you didn't mention is Paul Janish, who is showing that when the BABIP gods stop punishing him he can be a useful player.
    How long is Janish out?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Vidal's struggle is what sometimes happens when they hit AA. It's a big jump, especially for hitters. I think he'll be fine but he'll need to work it out.
    Vidal was three for three tonight.

Was at the wahoos game tonight. With 14 hits, all the wahoos were raking against some substandard Jax pitching (85 mph straight fastballs). However, Vidal did sting a couple. He looks pretty small in person.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Vidal was three for three tonight.
    Those three hits improved his average at Pensacola to 247. With a BB rate of 5.8% (one BB every 17 ABs) and a K rate of almost 25%, not to mention of slugging percentage of .351, he'll need two or three more consecutive games just like it to get up acceptable prospect numbers.

The good news is that it's only 85 ABs, and he's only 22. The bad news is that he's scuffled for quite a bit.

It's not really an issue at this point, as Rodriguez looks like he can hit AA (to say the least). If he can get back on the field and continue out the season without any ill effects from his hand, he should be ready to play at least part-time at 3B next season in the big leagues.

Just a note on Pearl - remember he's a converted infielder, so the age has a reason behind it - he needs to be promoted but his age at this level isn't because he played poorly before, it's due to time lost converting to pitcher. He needs to be promoted, though, because he is dominating at Bakersfield.

Turn Off Ads?