Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Official 2012 Draft Day Thread (Day 2)

Re: Official 2012 Draft Day Thread (Day 2)

Daniel Pigott UFlorida OF

2. Turn Off Ads?
    NL Central champs

Reds select OF Daniel Pigott from Florida.

Pigott is a .331 hitter who will take a walk, had 5 homers this year, can steal a base, hit .389 in the post season. 6-2 205, plays WR for the Gators football team. Has a 4.5 40.

1 more pick then the Reds are off the budget and on to the $100,000 cap per player rounds

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Here's an excerpt that tells you what Doug is referring to about Brean being a superb athlete:
    Seth Mejias-Brean's stellar junior season has inevitably led to comparisons - but not to other baseball players.

To hear the Arizona Wildcats third baseman's teammates tell it, Mejias-Brean is a cross between Paul Bunyan and Chuck Norris, with a little Roy Hobbs mixed in.

Hand the UA's starting third baseman a football, and he'll throw it 60 or 70 yards.

"They call him Tebow," coach Andy Lopez said.

Give Mejias-Brean a basketball, and he'll show off a 360-degree slam dunk.

"He's just a freak," outfielder Robert Refsnyder said.

But Mejias-Brean is at his best with a bat in his hands. His batting practice sessions are legendary, complete with towering home runs and crushed line drives that send teammates dodging.

At 6 feet 2 inches and 210 pounds, the Cienega High graduate fills out a uniform better than anybody on the team. Pro scouts love his projectability, whether it's at third base, in the outfield or at catcher - a position he's never played before.

"I mean, look at his body," shortstop Alex Mejia said. "You can see him playing in the big leagues, like, next year.

"I've never seen a player like him. When he hits it, and the ball's flying out, it's hit so hard. ... Really, it's almost like the thing is yelling."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/ua/a...#ixzz1wxIfKvb2
    Sounds like the kind of freak athlete who, if his baseball skills catchup with his athletic abilities, may be knocking on the Double-A door in two years or if they don't work out, he could be playing Arena League football.

Anytime a guy has athletic talents like Mejia-Brean you have to like the upside. They obviously went more for his ceiling than the stats.

Reds pick Jeremy Kivel, RHP, Spring HS, TX, in the 10th round.

Jeremy Kivel, Texas High school rhp

Mayo said Kivel's a 3rd or 4th round talent, but had a knee injury and that's why he slid.

Could be a GREAT pickup in the 10th round!

Pretty good draft so far. Tons of upside, high ceilings, a couple utility picks but even some upside in those guys if everything panned out

Kivel own words:
    hello my name is jeremy kivel i am a RHP from spring, tx the highschool of current MLB pitcher josh beckett. I have always wanted to play college and pro-baseball and follow in his footsteps, it started at a young age when family and friends discovered that i have a GOD given arm and people still see that today. Also i have a GOD given work ethic and i always have to be the best at what i do no matter what. Im the first and last on the field at my highschool and if you ever get to see me on the mound i always have the fire in my eyes that this next pitch is going right past your bat, im not the biggest guy on the field at 6"1 but i have biggest heart. I play everygame as if it was my last. No matter what school i go to im going to want to bring you a championship and make history that is the type of player and person i am.

He is listed as 6-2 200 fastball at 94, has curve and iffy change, power arm. Wants to play pro ball but has a commitment to U. of Houston

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Kivel has been clocked at 96 MPH and was sitting 93-94 in a recent showcase before blowing out his knee (for the second time in his life). Big sign if it happens.

Sounds like he's going to school.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Sounds like he's going to school.
    Link?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Link?
    I think he's inferring that based on RedlegJake's post.

A blown knee twice sounds like he could be a concern moving forward if he were to sign. But if the money isn't crazy, it would be worth the gamble.

Turn Off Ads?