Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2012 Draft Day Thread (Day 2)

Re: Official 2012 Draft Day Thread (Day 2)

I think his size is the reason they peg him as a reliever, only 6' tall and a bit slight of frame

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I like this pick at #3

So do I, getting college relievers who might move quickly in rounds 3 and up are often a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Does he throw strikes or is he walking in Memphis?
    We'll find out if he's the Beale deal.

Not opposed to relievers at this stage in the game. Maybe he pulls a Cingrani too and gets a shot as a starter?

Made 15 appearances including 12 starts...Posted 4.32 ERA in 85.1 innings pitched...Third among C-USA pitchers with 94 strikeouts on the year...Held opponents to a .247 batting average...Had six quality starts... Recorded seven or more strikeouts in six appearances...Earned wins in his first two starts and finished season with a 3-3 record...Allowed two runs on four hits over five innings to pick up the win in the season opener against Evansville (2/18/11)...Tied single-game school record with 16 strikeouts as he earned win at Kennesaw State (2/25/11)...Pitched a complete-game versus Eastern Illinois (3/18/11) allowing one earned run, but was saddled with the loss...Struck out 11 at UAB (4/16/11) in seven innings of work, but didn't factor in the decision...Earned a complete-game win against Houston (5/19/11) and posted 11 strikeouts for his third win of the year.

Had a solid freshman campaign for the Tigers, going 4-4 with 47 strikeouts in 39 innings...Finishined second on the staff with a 4.62 ERA in 17 appearances...Made three starts...Got off to a fast start recording four wins and a save in his first seven collegiate appearances...Averaged a staff-high 10.85 strikeouts per nine innings pitched...Was 0-3 as a starter...Fared better out of the bullpen, going 4-1 with a 3.58 ERA and 32 strikeouts...Went 1-1 with a 3.86 ERA in league play...Struck out six in three innings in his collegiate debut at UT-Martin (2/23/10)...Picked up his first collegiate victory after fanning three in 2.2 innings of relief vs. Bradley...Equaled a career-high with six K's vs. Portland (3/8/10)...Worked a scoreless inning to earn his first career save and preserve a 5-3 win over South Alabama (3/17/01)...Fanned five in just 2.2 innings to claim the win in a 13-9 triumph over Tennessee Tech (3/21/10)...Earned his fourth win of the year and helped Memphis secure its first-ever series win over Rice after giving up one unearned run in 3.2 innings for an 8-7 Tigers' win (3/27/10).

Prep
    Was a four-year letterwinner on the mound for head coach Dennis Almeida's Somerset High School squad...Had a dominant senior season for the Raiders...Earned All-Area, All-Scholastic and All-State honors in 2009...Fanned 118 batters in just 57.1 innings of work...Went 5-2 with a gaudy 0.85 ERA in nine starts...Logged six complete games and a pair of shutouts...Held opponents to a .146 batting average...Struck out 10 or more in eight of his nine outings, including fanning 17 twice...Went 4-2 with 74 strikeouts and a save as a junior...Allowed just 27 hits in 44 innings...Helped his SHS team to a Massachusetts D2 State title in 2006.

From his college page

His dad, Paul Langfield, played minor league ball in the early '80s. Low A and high A is as far as he went.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    His dad, Paul Langfield, played minor league ball in the early '80s. Low A and high A is as far as he went.
    That always helps - usually means good solid coaching growing up

His Twitter handle:

@D_Langfield

Mooneyham goes to the Nats at #111. It is freaking UNBELIEVABLE how they always do what I would have done in the draft. It's like their scouting director is my doppleganger.

Jays take Alford. If anyone can sign him, they can but it's still unlikely. Good risk/reward in the third round.
    Go BLUE!!!

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Reds just drafted Sam LeCure's replacement, I think.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

All I hope is that the Reds can sign all 5 of these first picks and I'll be ecstatic

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    All I hope is that the Reds can sign all 5 of these first picks and I'll be ecstatic
    I'd be surprised if the Reds don't sign all five of these guys.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I'd be surprised if the Reds don't sign all five of these guys.
    I'm mostly worried about Winker and Rahier

Maybe I'm just a worry-wart

Turn Off Ads?