Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Official Day 3 Draft thread

Re: Official Day 3 Draft thread

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    There's some rule in there that allows some sophomores to be eligible for the draft, but I don't recall what it is. It's fairly limited, as I recall.
    I believe it has to do with them turning 21 before a certain date. Frequently applies to guys who were redshirted.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Heard it yesterday. Within 45 days of draft.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    There's some rule in there that allows some sophomores to be eligible for the draft, but I don't recall what it is. It's fairly limited, as I recall.
    I believe that eligibility is based on turning 21 before or within several days of the draft.

After being a freshman All America player and hitting .340, his average dipped to .256 last year even though he was healthy enough to start all games. I think he would be well served to remain in school and attempt to reestablish better draft value. Small CF'er with excellent speed and good plate discipline, but no power. Plays CF well enough to cause Brandon Thomas (4th round Pirates) to move to LF.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    With the new rules, I can't think most teams will be able to sign lower-round HS picks away from college commitments. Makes me wonder why the Reds are spending time drafting such players like Stephens.
    What I read today indicates that there may be somewhat of a "loophole" with rounds after 10. Its thought you can only sign picks after round 10 for a max of 100K, but that does not appear to be the case. You can go over 100K, but then it counts against your bank for rounds 1 through 10 for everything AFTER the 100K. So in essence, if you can get a guy like this to sign AFTER round 10, then you save 100K from the cap space of your round 1 through 10 bank.

So, say you want to sign a guy in round 20 who probably should have gone in round 10. He wants 450K. If you signed him in round 10 for that, thats the entire 450k against your cap. However, if you sign him for that amount in round 20, its only 350k against your cap.

At least thats how baseball america was reporting this earlier today, which is why you saw some of the higher ranked draft prospects fall and then get picked outside the top 10 rounds.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Round 34: Richard McCaffrey, LHP, Santa Barbara CC in CA. 6'1/205, J2.

1042 McCaffrey, Richard Santa Barbara CC, CA LHP L/L J2 6'01" 205lbs DOB: 12/31/90

Round 35: Michael Sheppard, RHP, NJ HS. 5'11"/174

It also strikes me that there are going to be more American non-drafted free agents signed and given chances than ever before. Part of that is the draft shrinking to 40 rounds, part of that is lower-round picks going to college because they can't get zillions so easily to buy out a college commitment.

Round 36: 2B Jarvis Flowers, Texas HS. 5'11"/145 (!)

Looks like Dave Sappelt's kid brother just got picked at 37 by Miami.

Round 37: Zachary Vincej, SS, Pepperdine. 5"11/165, Junior.

At first blush, Ortiz strikes me as the pick fo the day three litter.

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    What I read today indicates that there may be somewhat of a "loophole" with rounds after 10. Its thought you can only sign picks after round 10 for a max of 100K, but that does not appear to be the case. You can go over 100K, but then it counts against your bank for rounds 1 through 10 for everything AFTER the 100K. So in essence, if you can get a guy like this to sign AFTER round 10, then you save 100K from the cap space of your round 1 through 10 bank.

So, say you want to sign a guy in round 20 who probably should have gone in round 10. He wants 450K. If you signed him in round 10 for that, thats the entire 450k against your cap. However, if you sign him for that amount in round 20, its only 350k against your cap.

At least thats how baseball america was reporting this earlier today, which is why you saw some of the higher ranked draft prospects fall and then get picked outside the top 10 rounds.

That's true but from how I understand it that 350k is taken out of the draft pool money allotted to the top 10 rounds. So the Reds have $6,652,900 to spend on their first 12 picks, but in your scenario they would only have $6,302,900 to spend on those 12 picks.

If the Reds go over that $6,652,900 there are pretty severe financial penalties depending on how far over they go:

Penalties for exceeding the Signing Bonus Pool are:
    Excess of Pool Penalty - (Tax on Overage/Draft Picks)
    * 0-5% - 75% tax on overage
    * 5-10% - 75% tax on overage and loss of 1st round pick
    * 10-15% - 100% tax on overage and loss of 1st and 2nd round picks
    * 15%+ - 100% tax on overage and loss of 1st round picks in next two drafts

I am glad that MLB has reformed the system, and I think they have some of the right ideas, but those penalties to me are just too steep for going over slot. The loss of future 1st and 2nd round picks over it?? That's just too much.

Round 38: Daniel Poncedeleon, RHP, Cypress College. 6'3"/185, Junior.

Turn Off Ads?