Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Thread: 6/6/2012 Reds vs Bucs

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: 6/6/2012 Reds vs Bucs

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Aroldis Chapman is now within two batters of having struck out half the hitters he's faced this year (52/106).
    Just checked on baseball reference..

For single seasons, From 1901 to 2012, (requiring SO>0.5*BFP and At least 25 Games), sorted by greatest Strikeouts
    Results
    Sorting only sorts the values in the table shown · Glossary · SHARE · Embed · CSV · PRE · LINK · ?
    Rk Player SO G Year Age Tm Lg GS CG SHO GF W L W-L% SV IP H R ER BB ERA ERA+ HR BF AB 2B 3B IBB HBP SH SF GDP SB CS PO BK WP BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+ Pit Str
    Seasons/Careers found: 0.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

I've never, ever seen a closer like Chapman. I hope they never figure him out, but I'd hate to see how far the right swing could send a ball. Lordy! It is a shame that Cueto got tagged with those two runs when Logan threw that homer to McCutcheon.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I totally blame Dusty. In his effort to save his bullpen, he just about gave the game away, if he hasn't already. We see this time and time again. I'm really upset.
    He let him face, arguably, 2 extra batters. he struck out one, and gave up an opposite field, ground ball single to the other.

The bullpen basically made it close with one pitch.

I've never, ever seen a closer like Chapman. I hope they never figure him out, but I'd hate to see how far the right swing could send a ball. Lordy! It is a shame that Cueto got tagged with those two runs when Logan threw that homer to McCutcheon.
    Either have I.

Even when the Pirates made it 5-4, I felt that as long as the Pirates didn't tie it in the 8th, it was pretty much over.

And it was.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    He let him face, arguably, 2 extra batters. he struck out one, and gave up an opposite field, ground ball single to the other.

The bullpen basically made it close with one pitch.
    Which is always a problem at GABP. With this bullpen, why try to stretch your starter, especially when he doesn't pitch well after 100 pitches? Cueto elevated the ball in the 7th and struggled in the 8th. All's well that ends well, I suppose, but it still frustrates me.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The 9th inning wasn't very hard fought. That was a surrender on the Pirates part
    I think Chapman played a small role in that. They looked like they were swinging pretty hard to me. Magehee just got smoked on two 100 MPH, knee high, outside corner fastballs. What did you want him to do for effort's sake? Swing and miss?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Hard to see how Chapman can be moved to the rotation. He's too important as the remedy for Dusty's frequent mishandling of the pen.

Since I am often seeing Dusty's moves as reasonable, I must state that I disagree with leaving Cueto in at all to pitch the 8th. My comment after the 7th was "take the 7 shutout innings, thank him very much, and go to the pen to finish it off." All he did was leave him in to get in trouble.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Since I am often seeing Dusty's moves as reasonable, I must state that I disagree with leaving Cueto in at all to pitch the 8th. My comment after the 7th was "take the 7 shutout innings, thank him very much, and go to the pen to finish it off." All he did was leave him in to get in trouble.
    True. Very true, but expect it again from our manager. A soft-hearted guy, he wanted Cueto to go eight for the player and to not use maybe the best bullpen in the league. The result was he damaged the ERA of his ace. Bad move, and I agree.
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

True. Very true, but expect it again from our manager. A soft-hearted guy, he wanted Cueto to go eight for the player and to not use maybe the best bullpen in the league. The result was he damaged the ERA of his ace. Bad move, and I agree.
    FWIW, Baker has taken a bullpen which is minus what was supposed to be 3 of it's top 4 members and turned it into the leagues best.

Mismanage it or not, it's working all the way to first place.

Our starters and offense have been league average at best.

Only our bullpen has us at the top.

FWIW, Baker has taken a bullpen which is minus what was supposed to be 3 of it's top 4 members and turned it into the leagues best.

You speak truth. Madsen, Bray, and Masset were supposed to be in this bullpen. Instead we have other names, and I've been more pleased with the new guys. I do feel Ondrusek is overused, but outside of the meltdown lately, the rest have been more than fine. My question is who gets cut when Nick and Billy return? Hoover and LeCure? Big question.
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I think Chapman played a small role in that. They looked like they were swinging pretty hard to me. Magehee just got smoked on two 100 MPH, knee high, outside corner fastballs. What did you want him to do for effort's sake? Swing and miss?
    No question their surrender had to do with Chapman throwing 100MPH cheese on the black. When he throws like that a one run victory doesn't feel hard fought

Exactly. Gosh, all I see in this thread is Dusty mismanaged this, left Cueto in too long, blah, blah, blah.

Baker went to mound in 8th inning. Not Price. He talked to his catcher and his NUMBER 1 starter and got their input and then left Cueto in. That is exactly what I want my manager doing - trusting his players. That is a good manager of people.

You people who complain are just complaining based on results. Its called Monday Morning Quarterbacking. In other words, just noise, IMO.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Exactly. Gosh, all I see in this thread is Dusty mismanaged this, left Cueto in too long, blah, blah, blah.

Baker went to mound in 8th inning. Not Price. He talked to his catcher and his NUMBER 1 starter and got their input and then left Cueto in. That is exactly what I want my manager doing - trusting his players. That is a good manager of people.

You people who complain are just complaining based on results. Its called Monday Morning Quarterbacking. In other words, just noise, IMO.
    Spot on. Leaving Cueto in for the 8th...I had no problem with that. I personally would've kept him on a short leash, but I have no doubt that Dusty was watching him closely. Just an unfortunate dinger off of Logan. And the people complaining about Ondrusek...really? He may be overused some, but not even close to how he was last year. And regardless of HOW he's doing it, he's been VERY good throughout his career.

Turn Off Ads?