Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Reds Draft Recap

Re: 2012 Reds Draft Recap

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Not to pick nits, but the Nationals didn't pick in the top ten.

If the Reds had taken Giolito over Travieso and the rest of the draft was the exact same, I'd give them an A+. And I agree that the Cardinals (like the Jays) will have to sign some of their tougher signs in order to make their class look really good.

The Padres with Fried, Eflin and Weichel really loaded up on upside. Jankowski was a similar mold to Gelalich.
    You may have seen a domino effect with Giolito, however, as his $ may have prevented them from scoring someone like Rahier a little later.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The fact that the Jays have been able to sign (already) Smoral and Alford is quite impressive. If they can bring their two first rounders into the fold in Davis and Stroman, they may come out as the biggest winners in the draft. That says nothing about Mitch Nay and Tyler Gonzalez, which would just be gravy.

Houston being (possibly/reportedly) able to sign Virant in the 11th would be a huge coup as well.

Appel got lit up last night. I wonder what that will do to his negotiations.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Appel got lit up last night. I wonder what that will do to his negotiations.
    I imagine that it will do absolutely nothing to them except get them started earlier if it leads/lead to his team being eliminated earlier.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

ESPN's Jayson Stark hears that the Pirates are expected to offer eighth overall pick and Stanford right-hander Mark Appel a slot $2.9MM signing bonus and hold the line until the July 13th deadline as they sign their other picks. "I don't see how," said one executive when asked if a deal will get done between the team and the Scott Boras client.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post

ESPN's Jayson Stark hears that the Pirates are expected to offer eighth overall pick and Stanford right-hander Mark Appel a slot $2.9MM signing bonus and hold the line until the July 13th deadline as they sign their other picks. "I don't see how," said one executive when asked if a deal will get done between the team and the Scott Boras client.
    What's Boras going to do? He has to sign for slot......and if he continues to hold out....like that other idiot he had as a client....did years ago and never really came back to pitch in the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post

What's Boras going to do? He has to sign for slot......and if he continues to hold out....like that other idiot he had as a client....did years ago and never really came back to pitch in the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    He would go back to college and enter the draft again in 2013. He doesn't have to sign for slot if he chooses not to.

Appel can return for his senior year at Stanford.
    Last edited by Gallen5862; 06-09-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He would go back to college and enter the draft again in 2013. He doesn't have to sign for slot if he chooses not to.
    And he will keep having to go through the same thing......with a team not wanting to go over slot. Why guys bother to get this guy as their agent...now that they have a slot system for the draft, is puzzling.

They can wait to get their bigger payday when they make and then use Boras methods.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    And he will keep having to go through the same thing......with a team not wanting to go over slot. Why guys bother to get this guy as their agent...now that they have a slot system for the draft, is puzzling.

They can wait to get their bigger payday when they make and then use Boras methods.
    Maybe a team pays him what he wants next year?

As for why guys get him.... he is the best. That is why.

Maybe a team pays him what he wants next year?

As for why guys get him.... he is the best. That is why.
    Appel will have even less leverage next year, and could, possibly get hurt. Maybe he gets what he wants next year, but odds are that he won't.

I wouldn't say Boros is the best agent. For some of his clients, he gets the most money. But he has also screwed up many times. Overplaying his hand. He's been dropped by quite a few players. And even if he never screwed up in terms of money, he has often screwed up a player's career in the pursuit of short term money.

Thing about Boros, he cares very deeply about 10% of you if you are his client.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Appel will have even less leverage next year, and could, possibly get hurt. Maybe he gets what he wants next year, but odds are that he won't.

I wouldn't say Boros is the best agent. For some of his clients, he gets the most money. But he has also screwed up many times. Overplaying his hand. He's been dropped by quite a few players. And even if he never screwed up in terms of money, he has often screwed up a player's career in the pursuit of short term money.

Thing about Boros, he cares very deeply about 10% of you if you are his client.
    Every agent that has been around for as long as Boras has, has been dropped by plenty of guys.

Boras doesn't make these guys sign their deals. If the players tells him that they want X deal, then he tries his best to get him that deal.

What players career has he screwed up in the pursuit of short term money?

Every agent that has been around for as long as Boras has, has been dropped by plenty of guys.

Boras doesn't make these guys sign their deals. If the players tells him that they want X deal, then he tries his best to get him that deal.

What players career has he screwed up in the pursuit of short term money?
    Wily Mo Pena and every other teenager that he had sign an MLB contract as their first contract. That whole idea was Boros'.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Wily Mo Pena and every other teenager that he had sign an MLB contract as their first contract. That whole idea was Boros'.
    It is Boras. Bryce Harper seems to be doing just fine off of his MLB contract at age 17. I am sure there are other guys. Even as a teenager on an MLB deal, you get 4 option years. If you don't make it, that is on you.

From the NCAA POV...

Why can a baseball player have an agent, return to college after being drafted, but a football player cannot? Maybe there is a simple answer to this, but I am naive here.

Turn Off Ads?