Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Reds Draft Recap

Re: 2012 Reds Draft Recap

I think the lack of talent in this draft was a little exaggerated. It was certainly below average and the lowest it had been in a while, but I feel like we were seeing a lot of strong draft classes in a short period of time.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think it was "low" in the absence of superstar types and really high ceiling guys but in its overall strength for the next level I think it was fairly strong and deep.

Just looked up and found more info on Nick Routt and I'm surprised and pleased with what I found. Sounds like a lefty that could move up for a 16th pick. See his thread for link.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Hard to give grades until you see who gets signed.

Somes teams picked some players who dropped because of salary demands, and makes their draft look quite a bit better. With a set limit for each team to spend, it will be hard for those players who fell for $$$ reasons to actually get signed. Mark Appel comes to mind. His salary demands scared the Astros away, how will the Pirates satisfy his demands when their slot amount is $4.3M less?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Hard to give grades until you see who gets signed.

Somes teams picked some players who dropped because of salary demands, and makes their draft look quite a bit better. With a set limit for each team to spend, it will be hard for those players who fell for $$$ reasons to actually get signed. Mark Appel comes to mind. His salary demands scared the Astros away, how will the Pirates satisfy his demands when their slot amount is $4.3M less?
    By signing a bunch of guys for $10-25,000 in rounds 5-10 and hoping they can make it work out.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    By signing a bunch of guys for $10-25,000 in rounds 5-10 and hoping they can make it work out.
    I'm not sure anyone really knows how this will all work out. I certainly can't say whether this will work out to be a fairer system (I doubt it), but we really won't know until everything shakes out and perhaps not at all for another 3 or 4 years as we see how various non-signees progress outside of pro ball and come back into the draft.

I certainly looks as if the Reds drafted as well as they could with this new system, looking for players with potentially high upsides and who seem highly signable.

At this point, though, we don't know how any club is going to juggle the pool of money they have budgeted; how some will exceed those amounts and absorb the penalty. As I recall, there are other penalties that can come into play by repeatedly exceeding the CBA limits.

I'm not an attorney, but it's also possible that MLB's special anti-trust exception might preclude that, but then again, it could be just the type of case that could cause the Supreme Court to revisit their Federal Baseball Club v. National League decision. Their conclusion today seems archaic today, although it has been upheld on occasion, mostly recently in Flood v. Kuhn in 1972.

And it won't surprise me at some point that some player and an agent decide to suit MLB on a "restraint of trade" issue with individuals not a party to the CBA being constrained by these limitations in attempting to ply their trade. Not sure how that would play out, but it wouldn't shock me (Boras and Appel seem like they could be prime candidates).
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

It's hard to know how to feel. To get a first rounder and two comp picks - well, its been forever since the Reds lost a player to FA who was worth comp picks.

I think the Reds did as well as they could, considering most of the big names were off they board before the 14th pick came around. I certainly do not feel as if these comp picks were squandered like the last comp pick was. Those were some terrible drafts back in those days.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I'm not sure anyone really knows how this will all work out. I certainly can't say whether this will work out to be a fairer system (I doubt it), but we really won't know until everything shakes out and perhaps not at all for another 3 or 4 years as we see how various non-signees progress outside of pro ball and come back into the draft.

At this point, though, we don't know how any club is going to juggle the pool of money they have budgeted; how some will exceed those amounts and absorb the penalty. As I recall, there are other penalties that can come into play by repeatedly exceeding the CBA limits.
    We have already seen how teams are going to try and juggle their money.

Between the 8th and 10th rounds there were 41 seniors drafted. In the 11th round there was 1. Teams loaded up on easy and cheap signs to save hundreds of thousands to a million dollars in the 6-10th rounds so they could spend it elsewhere. Seniors tend to sign between $5,000-50,000. Mark Serrano for example, was a senior drafted by the Reds a few years ago. He went in the 6th round and was coming off of a statistical season in college that few could rival (2.50 ERA, 132 K's and 23 walks in 86.1 innings). He signed quickly for $25,000. The slot this year for the same pick in the draft? $224,000. One pick like that saves you nearly $200,000. Draft 4 guys like that between rounds 5 and 10 and you can save yourself $400-600,000 to spend elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    It's hard to know how to feel. To get a first rounder and two comp picks - well, its been forever since the Reds lost a player to FA who was worth comp picks.

I think the Reds did as well as they could, considering most of the big names were off they board before the 14th pick came around. I certainly do not feel as if these comp picks were squandered like the last comp pick was. Those were some terrible drafts back in those days.
    Our last comp pick was Brad Boxberger. Not really a wasted pick. The ones before him were Lotzkar and Frazier. Didn't waste those.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Our last comp pick was Brad Boxberger. Not really a wasted pick. The ones before him were Lotzkar and Frazier. Didn't waste those.
    Perhaps he was referring to Mark Schramek, the Comp pick in 2002? That was a pretty bad pick. Of course, in the second round they got some catcher from HS in Canada named Votto.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Perhaps he was referring to Mark Schramek, the Comp pick in 2002? That was a pretty bad pick. Of course, in the second round they got some catcher from HS in Canada named Votto.
    Canadian catcher? Probably a signability pick to save money for Schramek.

Quick predictions
    First to majors: Langfield
    First pick not to sign: Kivel
    First to stir up a controversial Redszone debate thread: Gelalich
    Go BLUE!!!

Quick predictions
    Great post. I think your predictions may well be spot on.

I can hardly find anything reporting on Kivel and I'm thinking he'll opt for college because $125K (or even some slightly higher amount if we have leftover money) won't get him in. In previous years, had someone fallen to us like this, we'd have sweetened the pot considerably. Then again, there's a chance someone like this wouldn't have fallen to 10th round.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Exactly! That would be the guy. And who's this Votto fella?
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quick predictions
    I think if Langfield is going to make it to the majors fast, it will be as a reliever and I think that the road ahead of him may be pretty crowded over the next two or three years. The OF picture on the other hand is not so crowded (especially on the left side). I don't mecessarily see Gelalich as a perennial all-star and maybe not even a full-time starter in the bigs. He's already a fairly polished defensive OFer and if he can show fairly strong OBP tendencies, I can see him moving fairly quickly and serving as a 4th OF/LH bat off the bench.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 06-08-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Turn Off Ads?