Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Three Bold Ideas to Fix LF

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Three Bold Ideas to Fix LF

Clearly the biggest hole on the team right now is a big stick in LF. Here are three out-of-the-box, splashy solutions I would entertain to address this problem:

1. Trade for Justin Upton

I'll start with the least realistic yet most outside-the-box option. Justin Upton is owed $45MM through 2015, when he'll be a 27 year old free agent. While he is less than 10% to get traded, he has struggled immensely in 2012 and just got blasted publicly by his owner: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...rom-upton.html

Upton could plug immediately into the #2 or #4 hole (he hits RH) and juice this lineup for the next 3.5 years. Additionally, he'd be a plus-plus defender in LF. He would cost a bundle both in talent and dollars (although who knows where the limit is on payroll these days?). I'd offer any three prospects in the system for him- probably something like Hamilton, Corcino, and Gregorius, just to see if their front office is tempted to make a bold move given their owner's frustrations. Hamilton is Hamilton and Corcino would look nice along with Bauer, Bradley and Skaggs. Drew is clearly leaving town after this year so Gregorius could start for them as early as next year.

2. Trade for Carlos Quentin

The FA-to-be wouldn't cost much in dollars or long term commitments, and I hypothesized in another thread that something like Soto + Duran could get it done. The SD native could return to his hometown Padres this offseason, so it is unlikely the non-contending Pads would require much in a rental for his services. He's not a great defender but he's been on fire since getting activated from the DL 2 weeks ago. He also hits RH, so he would immediately become a powerful cleanup hitter for the Reds: he has jacked 5 HR in just 27 AB so far this year with Petco as his home field, so just imagine what he could do in GAB.

3. Sign Jorge Soler

OK so this doesn't do anything for the Reds this year. Or next year. But Soler is the premier type of talent that could be the LF on this team for a decade. Between Soler, Bruce, Lutz and Winker, the Reds wouldn't have to worry about another corner OF for at least a decade. It would surely be costly, but probably not as much as another international signing the Reds were willing to pay for- Aroldis Chapman, and he is looking more and more worth it by the day. Plus, this is the last opportunity for a small-market team like the Reds to really make an outlier splash with an amateur player, as the new spending cap goes into effect July 2 (and bids are due for Soler today). I'd really cringe if the Cubs get him, and they are reportedly the favorites to do so.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-07-2012 at 12:15 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Re: Three Bold Ideas to Fix LF

I am thinking Quentin isn't going to be as easy to get as some are thinking. Right now he is probably the best bat available, which means that pushes his price up. Not saying the Reds couldn't meet such price, just that it won't be so easy.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    I am thinking Quentin isn't going to be as easy to get as some are thinking. Right now he is probably the best bat available, which means that pushes his price up. Not saying the Reds couldn't meet such price, just that it won't be so easy.
    He's also due to be the best free agent outfielder on the market. If his agent has any say in the matter, he'd only be a rental if the Reds obtain him.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Agreed that his recent tear helps the Pads asking price, but I would think his defensive limitations as well as his expiring contract put a ceiling on his trade value.

I heard on ESPN Radio that the Padres are going to want a similar package to Carlos Beltran last season. I don't think Soto and Duran get the job done. I think they are going to want a top 5 Reds prospect in order to complete the deal. If the Reds think he would be the missing piece I have no problems with them doing that, as long as that prospect isn't Hamilton.
    I wouldn't move Hamilton or Corcino for him, and I'd think long and hard before moving one of the other top three arms (Lotzkar, Cingrani, and Stephenson). Virtually anyone else in the system would be OK by me. Obviously this year's draftees aren't eligible to be dealt.

If we have to give up the farm for a LF, I'd prefer to go really big and try to pry away J.Upton.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-07-2012 at 02:23 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Agreed that his recent tear helps the Pads asking price, but I would think his defensive limitations as well as his expiring contract put a ceiling on his trade value.

I wouldn't move Hamilton or Corcino for him, and I'd think long and hard before moving one of the other top three arms (Lotzkar, Cingrani, and Stephenson). Virtually anyone else in the system would be OK by me. Obviously this year's draftees aren't eligible to be dealt.
    I would move Lotzkar for him. I wouldn't move Hamilton, Corcino, Cingrani, Rodriguez, or Stephenson for him. I think the Padres would be crazy to demand a pitcher in a trade of Quentin. Considering they play 70%(?) of their games in extreme pitchers parks its much easire for them to have quality pitching. They needs bats and more bats. I don't know if the Reds are a good fit in that regard.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I would include both of them if Headley came with. Lotzkar is the easiest for me to part with. Lotzkar, Soto, Hamilton, Corcino for Quentin and Headley.

BP
    Headley
    Votto
    Quentin
    Bruce
    Stubbs
    Cozart
    Mesigan
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Mindful of the "trading within the division": Nyjer Morgan. Can reach base against righties, run. Might be a bad chemistry guy. Might be a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Mindful of the "trading within the division": Nyjer Morgan. Can reach base against righties, run. Might be a bad chemistry guy. Might be a good one.
    I don't want anybody with an alter-ego on this team plus Votto might kill him.

The go big idea sounds ok. Its just so unlikely. My ML guys might not out hit Heisey and Ludwick, but they might!
    Last edited by powersackers; 06-07-2012 at 02:51 PM.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I'd be STRONGLY against that move. I love the fact that we've built a team of high-character guys...this would quickly negate that IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I'd be STRONGLY against that move. I love the fact that we've built a team of high-character guys...this would quickly negate that IMO.
    Sometimes a jerk helps.

I heard on ESPN Radio that the Padres are going to want a similar package to Carlos Beltran last season. I don't think Soto and Duran get the job done. I think they are going to want a top 5 Reds prospect in order to complete the deal. If the Reds think he would be the missing piece I have no problems with them doing that, as long as that prospect isn't Hamilton.

Quinten isn't worth a propsect haul for a rental. Maybe Soto but not much more. I think there's other options.

I think Ludwick might be the LF fix himself! He's had hits in each of his last 5 starts, he's getting RBI and his avg has raised from .191 to .207 in the last 10 days.

But if not, what about AAA options, trade for and give one a these guys a shot:

Corey Brown SYR (WAS)
    Jordan Danks CHA (CWS) just called him up today
    Lars Anderson PAW (BOS)
    Roger Kieshnick PCL (SF) surprised they aren't trying his bat themselves yet
    Adam Eaton PCL (ARZ) hitting .399 from Miami Redhawks
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Quinten isn't worth a propsect haul for a rental. Maybe Soto but not much more. I think there's other options.

I think Ludwick might be the LF fix himself! He's had hits in each of his last 5 starts, he's getting RBI and his avg has raised from .191 to .207 in the last 10 days.

But if not, what about AAA options, trade for and give one a these guys a shot:

Corey Brown SYR (WAS)
    Jordan Danks CHA (CWS) just called him up today
    Lars Anderson PAW (BOS)
    Roger Kieshnick PCL (SF) surprised they aren't trying his bat themselves yet
    Adam Eaton PCL (ARZ) hitting .399 from Miami Redhawks
    Very doubtful that any of those minor leaguers will be considerably more valuable than a Ludwick/Heisey combo. If we are going to trade away value, I'd want to do it for a significant upgrade, whether that's Quentin, Upton, or someone else that would move the needle.
    Go BLUE!!!

Very doubtful that any of those minor leaguers will be considerably more valuable than a Ludwick/Heisey combo. If we are going to trade away value, I'd want to do it for a significant upgrade, whether that's Quentin, Upton, or someone else that would move the needle.
    The Reds now have exactly two lefty hitters on the team (excluding pitchers).

The Reds now have a .309 team OBP.

These two issues can be corrected without trading away the team's top prospects. I wouldn't mortgage the future for Quenton or Upton or a similar player.

I would go for somewhat lesser players who hit lefty and get on base. I think two of them would do the trick. More power isn't a critical need, the Reds hit their share of long balls with the current cast.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-07-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Turn Off Ads?