Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Three Bold Ideas to Fix LF

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Three Bold Ideas to Fix LF

I still think the best target is Shin-Soo Choo.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    If I can have either 3.5 years of Justin Upton or the future of Corcino, Cingrani and Hamilton, please, send me the Upton deal every single time. Do you have any other proven superstar players you'd like to swap for three unproven low level minor league stars?
    I'd agree with you, but I'm saying Justin Upton doesn't look like a SuperStar right now, through 212 plate appearances he looks weaker than Ryan Ludwick. So I don't do the deal.

I suppose you'll argue the other 2000 plate appearances justify it. They probably do, but are we trying to fix LF now or through 2015/16?
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    I'd agree with you, but I'm saying Justin Upton doesn't look like a SuperStar right now, through 212 plate appearances he looks weaker than Ryan Ludwick. So I don't do the deal.

I suppose you'll argue the other 2000 plate appearances justify it. They probably do, but are we trying to fix LF now or through 2015/16?
    I'm confused, you are saying you like the tradeoff for 2013-2015, yet you're unsure about 2012? Doesn't Justin Upton add more to the Reds in 2012 than Hamilton and/or Corcino?
    Go BLUE!!!

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

If were talking about 2012, I'm not being sarcastic. He may not help a ton this year. His value through 2016 is what you'd be banking on. And that is a good bet. But this year, bleh.
    Luckily, we get his performance for the rest of the year, not what's he's done so far. He season to date is only relevant to the degree it helps us project the rest of his season. And unless unless he's still injured, I don't see reason to expect him to continue to underperform his career levels so drastically.

ZiPS, for example expects a .275/.361/.480 line the rest of the way (2.6 WAR).
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I still think the best target is Shin-Soo Choo.

It's a shame the Indians are contending though. That makes it harder for them to even talk about it. They are pretty thin in the OF, IIRC.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I'm confused, you are saying you like the tradeoff for 2013-2015, yet you're unsure about 2012? Doesn't Justin Upton add more to the Reds in 2012 than Hamilton and/or Corcino?
    Of course he would offer more 2012 value than those two. But does he offer more than Ludwick?

What if we can get Quinten for less prospects? LF's fix for 2015 doesn't concern me now. Getting to the WS concerns me.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I'd be STRONGLY against that move. I love the fact that we've built a team of high-character guys...this would quickly negate that IMO.
    Sometimes a jerk helps.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Of course he would offer more 2012 value than those two. But does he offer more than Ludwick?

What if we can get Quinten for less prospects? LF's fix for 2015 doesn't concern me now. Getting to the WS concerns me.
    You are seriously questioning whether Justin Upton will offer more than Ryan Ludwick the rest of this season?

Getting to the WS in 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 concerns me. Is a potential dynasty worth top prospects? I think so.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    You are seriously questioning whether Justin Upton will offer more than Ryan Ludwick the rest of this season?

Getting to the WS in 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 concerns me. Is a potential dynasty worth top prospects? I think so.
    Yup, seriously questioning that. Something (wrist) is wrong with Upton and he's sat out the last two games, probably because he's TO'd at Management, so he's feigning an injury, or who knows... but something is wrong.

There's been very few dynasties in baseball history. And dynasties have to start somewhere. 2012 works for me.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

I think we are stuck with the roster we have. dusty seems pleased with Ludwick and Heisey, hoping they will come around. I don't look for any trades unless someone makes an offer the Reds can't refuse.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Yup, seriously questioning that. Something (wrist) is wrong with Upton and he's sat out the last two games, probably because he's TO'd at Management, so he's feigning an injury, or who knows... but something is wrong.

There's been very few dynasties in baseball history. And dynasties have to start somewhere. 2012 works for me.
    Gibson is sitting him out just to clear his head. Upton will be fine. I'm not worried about him at all.
    DLC11@Insightbb.com

Actually he wants to play, Gibson wanted him to sit and get a clear head for a couple of games

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Good thread with some good ideas. Probably coulda gone in the "Trade Targets" thread though.

Upton
    Quentin
    Dejesus
    Cabrera
    Choo

I like it.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Would anyone here trade Cueto for Upton? Would the Diamondback even consider it?
    DLC11@Insightbb.com

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Gibson is sitting Upton to clear his head.

Turn Off Ads?