Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Thread: Pirates at Reds 6-7-12

Re: Pirates at Reds 6-7-12

It's late, but my take is the emphasis on pitching is all well and good (as we've learned in years past), but ignoring offense is a sin. Foolishing assuming Heisey can be anything but a fourth or fifth outfielder is a problem. Depending on Bruce and Stubbs to be consistent is a problem. Expecting Phillips to be a cleanup hitter is insane. Putting Cozart and Stubbs/Heisey at the top of the order is criminal.

The Reds desparetly need a lead off hitter, and they also need a professionally hitter to bat cleanup. While Walt was building a world class bullpen, he or someone forgot that you have to score runs. Now, with the glut of pitching, you have Nick and Billy coming back, what do you do with Simon, LeClure, and others? Trades should happen, but my fear that the emphasis on pitching trumps the offense. I can live with a SS like Cozart, but not lead off. I can live with hitters like Heisey and Stubbs, but not in the two hole.

Yes, we are in first place, but it won't last until offense is addressed. I wait but do not expect anything but more of the same.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Agreed. Very entertaining. Glad I watched, not happy the team lost.
    What's the REDS record vs. the Pirates this year?
    How many games left with them?
    I believe they are 4-5 or 3-6 against the Pirates. They have 9 more games left. Six at home and three in Pittsburgh. One series at home is in August and the other two series are in September.
    For whatever reason Pittsburgh just has the Reds number. It's going on two seasons now. You see this in sports all the time where one team just has the others number. If the Reds can't beat them later this season regulary it could costs them a playoff spot.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I believe they are 4-5 or 3-6 against the Pirates. They have 9 more games left. Six at home and three in Pittsburgh. One series at home is in August and the other two series are in September.
    For whatever reason Pittsburgh just has the Reds number. It's going on two seasons now. You see this in sports all the time where one team just has the others number. If the Reds can't beat them later this season regularly it could costs them a playoff spot.
    Clearly Pittsburgh has had the upper hand these past two seasons. It's a funny thing. I always recollect the Padres giving the Reds absolute fits during the 1970's, the club's best era thus far. Thanks to B-R.com, I found the head to head against them. While we had a winning record against them in the 70's, it was only 47-43 (.522). We had two losing seasons against them (8-10 in both '70 and '72; World Series seasons) and played .500 with them in 1978. They actually had a five game winning streak against us in 1972 and we matched that in 1976. Oddly, 25% of all the games were shut outs, with 36% of our wins against them blanking them. There's your "fun with numbers" tidbit today!

http://www.baseball-reference.com/ga...m=1970&to=1979

BTW, our overall record for the decade was 683-443, a .607 clip.
    Last edited by redsmetz; 06-08-2012 at 08:54 AM.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?