Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mt Healthy high school withholding a diploma because a family cheered at graduation

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Mt Healthy high school withholding a diploma because a family cheered at graduation

You can read more about it here: http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/local_n...he-right-thing

Essentially though, Mt Healthy schools are withholding the diploma of a student because his family 'cheered to long' at his graduation. In order to be given his diploma, the superintendent is trying to require the student and/or his family members to do 20 hours of community service.

Sorry, but this is a power trip of epic proportions by the superintendent. Punishing the kid for something that he did not do, then attempting to require non-students to do something? What a joke. You aren't the law, lady. Kick them out of the graduation, sure. Attempt to require them to do community service? You are crazy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mt Healthy high school withholding a diploma because a family cheered at graduati

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You can read more about it here: http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/local_n...he-right-thing

Essentially though, Mt Healthy schools are withholding the diploma of a student because his family 'cheered to long' at his graduation. In order to be given his diploma, the superintendent is trying to require the student and/or his family members to do 20 hours of community service.

Sorry, but this is a power trip of epic proportions by the superintendent. Punishing the kid for something that he did not do, then attempting to require non-students to do something? What a joke. You aren't the law, lady. Kick them out of the graduation, sure. Attempt to require them to do community service? You are crazy.
    Well, its not like he hasn't graduated. The diploma is merely something nice to stick on a wall. I understand the school's point. They need to keep things moving and its not fair to the other kids if their name gets drowned out by people who can't hold their cheers till the end. They don't have to give anyone a diploma. It's a piece of paper. The mom seemed like the combative type. I'm not sure she would have gone quietly if they had asked her to leave.

I graduated high school in 1989 and they warned us that excessive cheering during the walk or any other disruptive behavior from family could result in our diploma being withheld. Not like this is something new.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Re: Mt Healthy high school withholding a diploma because a family cheered at graduati

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Well, its not like he hasn't graduated. The diploma is merely something nice to stick on a wall. I understand the school's point. They need to keep things moving and its not fair to the other kids if their name gets drowned out by people who can't hold their cheers till the end. They don't have to give anyone a diploma. It's a piece of paper. The mom seemed like the combative type. I'm not sure she would have gone quietly if they had asked her to leave.

I graduated high school in 1989 and they warned us that excessive cheering during the walk or any other disruptive behavior from family could result in our diploma being withheld. Not like this is something new.
    No, it isn't something new. But it is still something very stupid. Yes, his family should have shut it up until the end. But HE earned that piece of paper. For the actions of his family, HE is being punished.

They call me "chef"

When you're a frazzled school employee sometimes all that matters is that SOMEONE gets punished.

At my high school graduation, there were families blaring off air horns and ringing cowbells and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    At my high school graduation, there were families blaring off air horns and ringing cowbells and whatnot.
    Man, the soup kitchen must have been stocked with people that next week with all of that community service, right?

My school was pretty strict for our graduation. The previous graduation resulted in the school paying to recarpet EJ Thomas Hall in Akron because people went crazy with silly string. My class was also involved in some major pranks, to the point where they threatened cancelling the ceremony altogether if any shenanigans occured. Needless to say, everyone and their families were on there best behavior.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Man, the soup kitchen must have been stocked with people that next week with all of that community service, right?
    Something like that. Those degenerates with loud supporters ended up becoming our nation's future.

Man talk about uptight, time limit, rules, waiver, punishment, community service

All generated from something that should cause joy, celebration... Instead we get autocratic rules and dogmatic paternalism

How do they know who was doing the cheering? What if most of the cheering was done by "other" student's families who he was friends with? This is beyond absurd.

I've sat through 3 of my children's graduation commencements from Mason HS. Mason is now the largest high school in Ohio so you sit through 600+ names getting announced. That's a lot of kids and it takes a while. I think it took around 3 hours.

They give each kid a brief amount of time for parents, friends, etc. to go "woooooo!! yaaaaaahhh <name> wooooo!!!". Enough time for the burst of joy, yay rah, but then its on to the next kid. If they let everyone gor bonkers for as long as they wanted, we would have been there for 8 hours.

Believe me, its enough time unless you like to go on and on and dance and whoop and run up and down the aisles like an idiot. And people would start to try to outdo one another, have choreographed cheers, and make it a big whoop dee doo. I think its best to keep it brief and keep it moving. If you want to celebrate, go have a party and youi can yell and set off fireworks and go crazy to your hearts content.

We also had to sign a form (parents and students) that we understood the rules so it was no surprise.

Actually, the ones I feel for are the kids where their name is announced and its crickets. Nothing, nil, nada.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I just found my HS and college diplomas in a box when we were moving. I had no idea where they were.

Cheer up Anthony, it isn't the end of the world. If you feel that strongly about it, tell the principal to shove it and move on. Your lack of diploma will not hurt your future employment or college plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I've sat through 3 of my children's graduation commencements from Mason HS. Mason is now the largest high school in Ohio so you sit through 600+ names getting announced. That's a lot of kids and it takes a while. I think it took around 3 hours.
    That's interesting Roy. I didn't realize Mason's size had reached such proportions.

Someone better update Wiki:

With approximately 2,800 students enrolled annually, Oak Hills is the largest of the ten public high schools within the Greater Miami Conference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_Hills_High_School

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Some people are incapable of respecting the rights of others, even when its put in writing and/or in the law. There has to be sanctions because these people don't get what "the right thing" is.
    Good for this principal to stand on his principles.

This Monday my daughter graduated from HS in a ceremony held at MARLINS STADIUM. One thousand kids in the graduating class and Joe Biden in attendance.
    And YEP, there were a few "excessive cheerers" who may (depending on the seating) have spoiled the next parent's chance to hear their kid's name called, because they weren't stopping that line for anyone.

Oh, and if I'm researching this kid for a job and this article comes up. Guess what?
    He's not getting hired.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Some people are incapable of respecting the rights of others, even when its put in writing and/or in the law. There has to be sanctions because these people don't get what "the right thing" is.
    Good for this principal to stand on his principles.

This Monday my daughter graduated from HS in a ceremony held at MARLINS STADIUM. One thousand kids in the graduating class and Joe Biden in attendance.
    And YEP, there were a few "excessive cheerers" who may (depending on the seating) have spoiled the next parent's chance to hear their kid's name called, because they weren't stopping that line for anyone.

Oh, and if I'm researching this kid for a job and this article comes up. Guess what?
    He's not getting hired.
    So you are ok with punishing someone for the problems that were caused by others? And you are ok with not hiring someone because of something that their family members did, but that they weren't a part of?

I wouldn't want to work for you. Talk about no job security. Bob over in accounting messes up and I lose my job in IT over it? No thanks.

Turn Off Ads?