Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Which player would you pay to see...if any

Which player would you pay to see...if any

You can go to one game to see any player play in his prime...which MLB player throughout history would you pay to see just once?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Which player would you pay to see...if any

Babe Ruth.
    Let's make some noise!

Ty Cobb

Bob Gibson
    "I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

For me it's a tough call, but I think I would love to have been at Jackie Robinson's first ML game. To see that event and how it unfolded would have been incredible.

Babe Ruth. Willie Mays. Ted Williams. Tough call.

From a Reds' standpoint I would like to see Johnny Vandermeer's back-to-back no-hitters.

Ted Williams.

Bakers Dozen

Satchel Paige. Didn't even pitch in majors in prime.

"Joe DiMaggio would say that Paige was the best he ever faced. Bob Feller would say that Paige was the best he ever saw. Hack Wilson would say that the ball looked like a marble when it crossed the plate. Dizzy Dean would say that Paige’s fastball made his own look like a changeup."[135] Posnanski further noted that: "for most of his career Satchel Paige threw nothing but fastballs. Nothing. Oh, he named them different names — Bat Dodger, Midnight Rider, Midnight Creeper, Jump Ball, Trouble Ball — but essentially they were all fastballs. And he was still unhittable for the better part of 15 years. One pitch. It's a lot like Mariano Rivera, except he wasn't doing it for one inning at a time. He was pitching complete games day after day. That had to be some kind of incredible fastball.... [he was] perhaps the most precise pitcher in baseball history — he threw ludicrously hard. And he also threw hundreds and hundreds of innings."
    Last edited by PumpFak3First; 06-07-2012 at 08:00 PM.

Nolan Ryan....mid 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    You can go to one game to see any player play in his prime...which MLB player throughout history would you pay to see just once?
    Great question, hard answers! So many obvious, the greats-Mantle, Ruth, Cobb, etc, and love the idea of Robinson mentioned later in thread. Bench was always my favorite, but only caught (no pun) the last couple years of his career and was still young at that point, so would say wish I could experience the BRm era in person.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Turn Off Ads?