Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: EURO 2012

EURO 2012

The best top to bottom international competition in the world begins soon. It needs to start soon because England might not have a team left to compete. Look at their injury list:
    Gary Cahill
    Jack Wilshere
    Kyle Walker
    Frank Lampard
    Gareth Barry
    John Ruddy (3rd GK)
    Michael Dawson
    Chris Smalling
    Tom Huddlestone
    Jack Rodwell
    Darren Bent

That's a team that may have qualified for the tournament by itself.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: EURO 2012

It should be an interesting tournament. Some of the favorites are facing major issues. England is wracked with injuries. Italy is once again facing a huge scandal. Germany, the Netherlands, and Portugal are going to beat each other up in the Group of Death. Joint host Ukraine has all kinds of issues. It could be a good opportunity for a dark horse to make it through and pull another stunner like Greece did in 2004.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    It should be an interesting tournament. Some of the favorites are facing major issues. England is wracked with injuries. Italy is once again facing a huge scandal. Germany, the Netherlands, and Portugal are going to beat each other up in the Group of Death. Joint host Ukraine has all kinds of issues. It could be a good opportunity for a dark horse to make it through and pull another stunner like Greece did in 2004.
    If they would have made the tournament, I would have fancied Belgium. Not too many teams can boast their middle and back of the lineup with Fellaini, Kompany, and Vermaelen.

If I had to pick a winner, it would be the Dutch. They are playing well, haven't been hit as hard by injuries, and are looking for some revenge from the WC Final.

Starts in 3 days

Group A:
    Czech Republic
    Greece
    Poland
    Russia

Group B:
    Denmark
    Germany
    Netherlands
    Portugal

Group C:
    Croatia
    Ireland
    Italy
    Spain

Group D:
    England
    France
    Sweden
    Ukraine

My predictions:
    Group A Winner - Czech Republic
    Group A Runner Up - Russia

Group B Winner - Netherlands
    Group B Runner Up - Germany

Group C Winner - Spain
    Group C Runner Up - Croatia

Gruop D Winner - France
    Group D Runner Up - Sweden

Quarterfinals:
    Group A Winner - Czech Republic
    Group B Runner Up - Germany
    Winner - Germany

Group B Winner - Netherlands
    Group A Runner Up - Russia
    Winner - Netherlands

Group C Winner - Spain
    Group D Runner Up - Sweden
    Winner - Spain

Group D Winner - France
    Group C Runner Up - Croatia
    Winner - Croatia

Semifinals:
    Germany vs Spain
    Winner - Spain

Netherlands vs Croatia
    Winner - Netherlands

Final:
    Winner - Netherlands, avenging the 2010 World Cup Final loss to Spain, the Netherlands FINALLY gets over the hump and gets their major trophy.

I'm going to be pulling for the Dutch as well. Should be a great tournament and I love that almost every game is available on TV now.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I'm going to be pulling for the Dutch as well. Should be a great tournament and I love that almost every game is available on TV now.
    If the Dutch played the way they did in the World Cup, I hope they get nowhere near the finals. Maybe they'll play more soccer and less karate this time around.

The Argentinians have a word for that style of dirty play. It's called "Antifutbol." I think that describes the current Dutch team as opposed to the "Total Football" style the Dutch of years gone by invented.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    If the Dutch played the way they did in the World Cup, I hope they get nowhere near the finals. Maybe they'll play more soccer and less karate this time around.

The Argentinians have a word for that style of dirty play. It's called "Antifutbol." I think that describes the current Dutch team as opposed to the "Total Football" style the Dutch of years gone by invented.
    I didn't like the way they played in the WC Final, but I get why they did it. Spain was a better team and they needed to play physical. I do agree that they went a little overboard with the style of play.

Robben, RVP and Sneijder all seem to be in good form right now so hopefully they can rely more on their attack.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I didn't like the way they played in the WC Final, but I get why they did it. Spain was a better team and they needed to play physical. I do agree that they went a little overboard with the style of play.

Robben, RVP and Sneijder all seem to be in good form right now so hopefully they can rely more on their attack.
    9 yellow cards, one being a second yellow for a red, is more than a little overboard. De Jong should have been given a straight red, leaving the Dutch down to 10 men in the first half. A couple of other fouls could have drawn reds, leaving the Dutch even further down. They blew away the record for yellows in a final. If the ref Webb had just given De Jong the straight red like he deserved, maybe the Dutch would have dialed back on the thuggery and tried playing soccer. The US beat those same Spaniards 2-0 on 2 yellows and a red, so you don't need to resort to dirty play to beat them.

I can only hope they don't play that way again.

The Dutch was always my team (other than the US) since watching them, especially Dennis Bergkamp, in the 98 World Cup. But their play was so awful in the WC semis and the finals that I don't know that I can root for a team that Robben plays on.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

One thing I love about soccer is the terminology. Perhaps my favorite applies to the Dutch in the WC Final, and that is "Negative Football". It is a strategy reviled throughout the footballing world and I would love to see it applied to other sports. Instead of "3 yards and a cloud of dust", call it what it is. Negative Football. Wisconsin hoops. Negative Basketball. Perhaps we could stigmatize some of those teams for those tactics.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I think it's important to not lump in "conservative" with "dirty/cynical," though.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I think it's important to not lump in "conservative" with "dirty/cynical," though.
    That's true. I was talking about what the Italian used to call, "Catenaccio" - which means "door-bolt". Maybe "Negative Football" isn't the best describer of the Dutch. The Dutch were just dirty. Negative is putting 10 men behind the ball and playing for a draw or hoping to squeek out a 1-0 win. Some examples in soccer.

-Greece at the 2004 Euro's.
    -Chelsea and Inter under Mourinho had that reputation (sometimes undeserved, sometimes very deserved.)
    -The Italians are known for it at times.

Any last minute interest in some type of bracket style pool predictions just for fun? I know group play may make that a little more complicated on a scoring system though.

ESPN does it this way fwiw

Group Stage: 1 point per correct pick
    Group Stage Bonus: 1 point per pick if team is in correct slot
    Quarterfinals: 2 points per correct pick
    Quarterfinals Bonus: 2 points per pick if team is in correct slot
    Semifinals: 8 points per correct pick
    Finals: 16 points for correct pick

Maximum Points Breakdown:

Group Stage: 16 points
    Quarterfinals: 16 points
    Semifinals: 16 points
    Finals: 16 points
    Last edited by ervinsm84; 06-07-2012 at 06:45 PM.
    Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

I have a wager with a friend that if Russia wins Euro 2012, I have to spend the next year learning the language. To be honest, I'm pulling for them. Sounding like a 1950's spy sounds awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    I have a wager with a friend that if Russia wins Euro 2012, I have to spend the next year learning the language. To be honest, I'm pulling for them. Sounding like a 1950's spy sounds awesome.
    What's the alternate wager?

Turn Off Ads?