Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds vs. Tigers Friday 6/8

Re: Reds vs. Tigers Friday 6/8

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Because 2 of the 4 players we're "blocked" does not take away from their value. Both Grandal and Alonso were tremendously valuable trading chips. One might argue that Grandal should have been blocking Mes. They were valuable pieces. Boxberger projects as really good closer or, at worst, a useful reliever. Volquez is that siren song that temps GM after GM - that live arm that just needs the proper coaching. It's what coaxed Krivsky to ship the current AL MVP to Texas for his services.

Latos is a good pitcher, but he was not worth what we had to give up for him. Just because we had depth in Grandal's & Alonso's positions does not mean we should have given them up so cheaply. If that's the case, then this team needs to stop taking the BPA and draft based on organizational depth.
    I ignore Boxberger in the deal because a minor league reliever is just a minor league reliever, a lot of those don't pan out. I guess I can see where you're coming from but I liked the trade when we made it...I don't think enough time has passed to decide if it was a good one or not. We needed to upgrade our rotation so we made a move to get a good young pitcher who we could control for a while, there's not many of those around.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Righthander View Post
    Fundamentals on this team have been lacking for a few years --- painful to watch sometimes
    I agree. Every one fails at the bunt sometimes- but this team is full of bad bunters.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Who Dey Time View Post
    This post might be relevant in 2-3 years. It is not relevant 2 months into the first season especially considering that Latos is still a very young pitcher.
    No, it's relevant now. The trade was controversial even when we thought we were getting the 2011 Latos with his muscular petco-inflated numbers. We're in the 3rd month of the season and he's showing himself to be a little better than league-average.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

I'd imagine Latos has a short lease here.... Maybe?

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I ignore Boxberger in the deal because a minor league reliever is just a minor league reliever, a lot of those don't pan out. I guess I can see where you're coming from but I liked the trade when we made it...I don't think enough time has passed to decide if it was a good one or not. We needed to upgrade our rotation so we made a move to get a good young pitcher who we could control for a while, there's not many of those around.
    Agree on the issue of controlling a good young pitcher - I just don't know that we scouted him well enough.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds19 View Post
    I'd imagine Latos has a short lease here.... Maybe?
    Should have been giving high fives after he got out of the last inning.

Agree on the issue of controlling a good young pitcher - I just don't know that we scouted him well enough.
    Fair enough...I guess time will tell on both. Whether Latos was the guy we should have went after, and whether Mes was the catcher we should have kept.

No, it's relevant now. The trade was controversial even when we thought we were getting the 2011 Latos with his muscular petco-inflated numbers. We're in the 3rd month of the season and he's showing himself to be a little better than league-average.
    No knowledgeable individual would judge a trade after 60 games for any player let alone a young talent like Latos. You could end up being right. I think you will end up eating your words. But 2 months does not determine that.

And you yourself has said he is above average. You would think that as he matures he will only get better. Just like the Bailey and Cueto types.

He struck that guy out twice.

Votto playing the line? He usually eats that ball up

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    thats why heisey shouldnt be playng CF over stubbs. stubbs gets to that ball easily.
    Link?

God, Latos is just so f'n hittable. Straight 92 mlb fastball, and nothing else.

Who said this bum was an ace?

I dont think Hanigan likes Latos shaking him off.

Get someone up, Latos is about give it up.

latos is losing it.

Turn Off Ads?