Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4.85

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

That's Latos' ERA more than one-third of the way through the season. No bueno.
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 06-08-2012 at 11:17 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 4.98

(brandishing machete) Let's get him!
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Re: 4.98

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    (brandishing machete) Let's get him!
    Haha. No, no. Part of me still likes the trade. Just saying I've been somewhat disappointed thus far.

Re: 4.85

I have to say he looked pretty decent tonight even if the final line isn't spectacular. The number of ground balls he was able to induce are a positive sign; they just had eyes this evening. He has been disappointing but I still think he is a true #2 with ace potential moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I have to say he looked pretty decent tonight even if the final line isn't spectacular. The number of ground balls he was able to induce are a positive sign; they just had eyes this evening. He has been disappointing but I still think he is a true #2 with ace potential moving forward.
    Same here. There was a lot of talk about what the move from Petco to Great American would do to his stats. I fear that might've messed with his head a little. He's better than this.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

If he can quit hanging that curve ball, it will do wonders

New team, smaller park, and what I consider a tough schedule. Add to that, a lot of bad luck. He will be OK. At least we didn't trade Frank Robinson for him.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Just for the record, Volquez just completed a game in Milwaukee where he pitched 5, allowed 6 hits, 6 runs, walked 4. His ERA is at 3.94, mainly due to Petco, where it's much smaller. He also gave up 3 dingers in the process. Just posted this in the game thread, but it's obvious that we got the better part of the deal. Alonso was blocked at first (woefully obvious now) and prospects are just that. Mat will come around. Not so much for EV.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I think Latos may be struggling some because he is trying to change the way he pitches. I've watched him work the strike zone last year with the Padres, and this year. He is, it seems to me, trying to pitch to different spots than he did before when he had the benefit of Petco. Trying to get his fastball down and cut that curveball so it breaks lower in or just under the strike zone. I wonder if Mat may not be trying to rework himself into more of a groundball pitcher and rely less on high heat. The park may indeed have gotten in to his head but perhaps in a smart way that he's still perfecting his command of. What I saw tonight was a different pitching plan than what I've seen before and much more consistency down and busting that curveball into the dirt. He was a couple of seeing eye singles from a really fine game.

Stat geek...and proud
    Was at the game tonight. Don't know how at looked on TV but I thought he deserved a better line tonight. They only hit 5 or 6 hard balls from what I could tell from the Moon Deck.

You probably could see me jump up in excitement/relief when Cabrera's ball died on the track in the 7th, if you knew who to look for.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I think Latos may be struggling some because he is trying to change the way he pitches. I've watched him work the strike zone last year with the Padres, and this year. He is, it seems to me, trying to pitch to different spots than he did before when he had the benefit of Petco. Trying to get his fastball down and cut that curveball so it breaks lower in or just under the strike zone. I wonder if Mat may not be trying to rework himself into more of a groundball pitcher and rely less on high heat. The park may indeed have gotten in to his head but perhaps in a smart way that he's still perfecting his command of. What I saw tonight was a different pitching plan than what I've seen before and much more consistency down and busting that curveball into the dirt. He was a couple of seeing eye singles from a really fine game.
    I think there is something to this.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Senor Votto

We still got Dallas Latos out of that deal so we won that trade easily.

BTW, Yonder Alonso is currently in extreme freefall mode. Average down to .256. Has 1 HR and 15 RBIs on the season. Average was .300 not that long ago.

I would do the trade over again, I'm just saying I expected a lot more from Latos. Then again, he's historically a slow starter, so hopefully he'll be much better down the stretch. There's a lot to like about him. His stuff. His age. The fact that the Reds control him through the 2015 season.

And just the fact that I don't have to look at Edinson Volquez any longer makes the trade good for me.

The announcers made a comment last night about how his seems to have trouble putting guys away. I certainly don't have any data on it, but it certainly seemed that way. Even poor hitters were fouling off 2 strike pitches with seeming ease. It also seemed like he had his own idea of what he wanted to do and wasn't seeing eye to eye with Hanigan. I wonder what the full story is.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Reminds me of a 2010 Homer Bailey...flashes of brilliance, but making a few critical mistakes each outing which usually cost him (and the Reds) the game. I think he'll grow. I just hope he matures quicker than Bailey did.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Turn Off Ads?