Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joey Votto

Joey Votto

Current leader in WAR (3.8), wOBA (.466), WRC+ (196), and OPS (1.119) to name a few stats.

One can easily say that he is currently the best player in the league, and by far the best 1B in the league.

I remember when people were upset that we signed this guy to the deal that we did -- he just seems to keep getting better, and I think that we're going to look back on having him as one of the best moves the Reds ever made.

Oh also, just a little note...Votto is currently on pace to have a better season than any of Pujols' seasons in his career. Phenomenal.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Joey Votto

he's good

He's just killing it....and getting better each series it seems.

Pujols had a 1.114 OPS.....8 times over 1.000.

At age 23 he put up this line.....137 runs, 212 hits, 51 2B, 43 HR, 124 RBI, .359 avg, .667 slug %, 394 total bases and .439 OB%.

Votto isn't human.

From John Fay post

Joey Votto, a former MVP himself, was asked about facing a fellow MVP in Verlander:

“I can’t speak for him. I’ve known a lot of pitchers that look past the number or names on the back of a jersey and they just concentrate on execution. I try to do the same as a hitter. But certainly, you can’t help but step it up a little bit.”
    step it up a bit?

That will be a sight to see, He is hitting .563 over the last 13 games and now he is going to step it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    From John Fay post

step it up a bit?

That will be a sight to see, He is hitting .563 over the last 13 games and now he is going to step it up.
    He will do something that will amaze Reds nation.

That votto Guy sucks....half of his hits are singles and he has yet to hit a triple. Bring back costanza
    Last edited by redobsession; 06-09-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Jv vs Jv what irony. The two best players in baseball with the same initials...they are alliens.

Quote Originally Posted by redobsession View Post
    Jv vs Jv what irony. The two best players in baseball with the same initials...they are alliens.
    JH

Tom

one of the writers for ESPN had the guts to step up this morning and point out that Votto is by far the best hitter in baseball this year - Josh Hamilton just gets the media attention because he's more flashy and hits more HR's

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon7 View Post
    JH
    I stand by my previous statement.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

It's just too bad no one apparently had the smarts/nads to walk into Krivsky's office and tell him what kind of mistake he was about to make.

That he wouldn't be remembered as the GM savvy enough to engineer the Rule 5 acquisition of Hamilton...but as the guy stupid enough to trade him after a helluva rookie season.

And get fired in no small part because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    It's just too bad no one apparently had the smarts/nads to walk into Krivsky's office and tell him what kind of mistake he was about to make.

That he wouldn't be remembered as the GM savvy enough to engineer the Rule 5 acquisition of Hamilton...but as the guy stupid enough to trade him after a helluva rookie season.

And get fired in no small part because of it.
    I agree but hindsight is best.....he could've blew out a knee or failed a drug test at any time.....who ever would've thought JH would do what he's doing now after one rookie season? If you said you did then please tell us who's next on that list of great rookies who won't fail...cause alot end up failing.

I may be wrong, but I don't think that trade had a lot to do with Krivsky losing his job. I don't remember the timing of everything, but I think with Bob C's St. Louis connections, the writing was always on the wall from the time Jocketty joined the organization.

I say too that what Walt did was not at all a bad baseball move when it was made. An organization that had notoriously bad starting pitching and counted as recent past staff "aces" the likes of Paul Wilson and Jimmy Haynes sold high on an injury prone, past drug abusing outfielder for a potential ace type arm. Volquez appeared in the All Star Game that year. No one could have predicted Tommy John surgery or anything to come after that.

People who criticize the trade lament the now, and rightfully so. But while general managers have to look toward not just the present but also the future when making trades, it's almost always a crap shoot. Heck, we can still lament the useless trade with the Nationals if we want as it did nothing for us that year. Majewski was awful, Clayton was just a warm body. But Felipe Lopez and Kearns are nowhere to be seen in Washington and we have gotten some value out of Bray, who a lot of people thought was the real asset in the trade to begin with. So maybe when it's all said and done, we "won" that one.

We lost the Hamilton trade, but that doesn't mean it was a horrible one to make at the time. Like I said, Volquez was an All Star and he and Cueto made our pitching staff intriguing and exciting that year. Hamilton wants to rake, good for him. I moved on from it all in 2008 and haven't looked back since, because there's no point to.

Imagine the kind of year he'd be having if they had someone batting in front of him all year with a decent OBP, or a legit power threat behind him having. a somewhat consistent season. That's why I like the idea of acqquiring DeJesus. He has a .357 career OBP, .370 this season. His OBP this season is 70 points higher than either Stubbs or Heisey.
    He also has one more K in 60 more ABs than Heisey and 22 less than Stubbs in 6 more ABs

Edited to add:the Imagine how much better he'd be hitting with the stud like Votto behind him.
    Last edited by OGB; 06-10-2012 at 02:12 PM.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Turn Off Ads?