Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 22 of 22

Thread: Joey Votto

  1. #16
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    3,239

    Re: Joey Votto

    Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    I agree but hindsight is best.....he could've blew out a knee or failed a drug test at any time.....who ever would've thought JH would do what he's doing now after one rookie season? If you said you did then please tell us who's next on that list of great rookies who won't fail...cause alot end up failing.
    Failing a drug test, sure. That was the one real concern with Hamilton.

    Blowing out a knee can happen to anyone. And all those reports about how his body or health could break down because of the previous drug use were bogus.

    One look at the guy could tell you he was in great physical condition. But I would be interested to know what Kremchek had to say about Hamilton.

    I suspect Krivsky was simply desperate for pitching and greatly undervalued Hamilton, perhaps since he was acquired for next to nothing.
    Last edited by malcontent; 06-10-2012 at 05:11 PM.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    721

    Re: Joey Votto

    Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Failing a drug test, sure. That was the one real concern with Hamilton.
    You don't see this as a MAJOR concern? I'd love to have the guy on the Reds too, but the odds of him doing what he's doing now are akin to winning the lottery IMO.

    Addiction like that is hard enough to come back from in real life. But to beat it and come back to the fantasy land that is being a superstar in the MLB, that is something different alltogether.

  4. #18
    Member Ironman92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,582
    Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    You don't see this as a MAJOR concern? I'd love to have the guy on the Reds too, but the odds of him doing what he's doing now are akin to winning the lottery IMO.

    Addiction like that is hard enough to come back from in real life. But to beat it and come back to the fantasy land that is being a superstar in the MLB, that is something different alltogether.
    Yeah....but it's not lottery odds either

  5. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    721

    Re: Joey Votto

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Yeah....but it's not lottery odds either
    "Lottery odds" is a pretty subjective term, but I have to respectfully disagree that it was a bad deal at the time.

    Chances of making it to The Show to start with are miniscule. Then, factor in the addiction, car accident, failed tests, time away from the game (2 full years ?), past history of athletes with the same sort of problems, etc...the chances of him washing out FAR outweigh the chances of him becoming a ALCS MVP and legit triple crown contender.

  6. #20
    Member Ironman92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,582
    Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    "Lottery odds" is a pretty subjective term, but I have to respectfully disagree that it was a bad deal at the time.

    Chances of making it to The Show to start with are miniscule. Then, factor in the addiction, car accident, failed tests, time away from the game (2 full years ?), past history of athletes with the same sort of problems, etc...the chances of him washing out FAR outweigh the chances of him becoming a ALCS MVP and legit triple crown contender.
    Well being a Griffey/Arod type of can't miss top pick also must be a factor.....he was on the Reds and was great despite the severe past issues. I don't believe he was a huge longshot to do what he's doing based on his dedication to go from 50 lbs under and near death to performing extremely well for the Reds....with the Reds he displayed every attribute that made him a can't miss.....the only question IMO was the ability to stay away from the evil that surrounded him for 5 years.

  7. #21
    Burn It Jamz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    413

    Re: Joey Votto

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    He's just killing it....and getting better each series it seems.


    Pujols had a 1.114 OPS.....8 times over 1.000.

    At age 23 he put up this line.....137 runs, 212 hits, 51 2B, 43 HR, 124 RBI, .359 avg, .667 slug %, 394 total bases and .439 OB%.
    "Age 23"

    That said I was just saying that right now, according to sabremetrics, Votto is on pace to have a better single season than any Pujols had in his entire career.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

  8. #22
    Member Ironman92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,582
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    "Age 23"

    That said I was just saying that right now, according to sabremetrics, Votto is on pace to have a better single season than any Pujols had in his entire career.
    I know.....and I was just being informative on what I thought was Pujols' best season.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25