Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Cingrani is our best pitching prospect IMO

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Cingrani is our best pitching prospect IMO

I'd take him over Corcino right now (even though I like both of them) and I'd have to put him over Robert Stephenson too since he hasn't even made his pro debut yet. Love everything about Cingrani, other than the fact he "only" throws 3 pitches. But I'm convinced he will remain as a starter in the big leagues. He'll likely add a pitch or two to his arsenal down the line, but even if he doesn't he'll be just fine. A 6-4 lefty with good velocity and command. He was the steal of the 2011 draft.

Top 6 Reds Pitching Prospects (IMO):

1. Tony Cingrani
    2. Daniel Corcino
    3. Donnie Joseph (reliever)
    4. Robert Stephenson
    5. Nick Travieso
    6. Kyle Lotzkar
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 06-09-2012 at 11:25 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Cingrani is our best pitching prospect IMO

Have you seen him pitch?

I've said it before but I'll say it again- the parallels between Cingrani and Zach Stewart are striking- both college relievers drafted by the Reds in the 3rd round out of Texas schools. Both converted to starters and had dominant debuts and second seasons that include somewhat delayed promotions. Yet despite overwhelming success in numbers, questions remain(ed) about both players' ability to stick to starting.

I wouldn't be surprised if the parallels continue and Cingrani is the key piece in a trade to bolster the Reds' playoff run later this summer.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Have you seen him pitch?
    Doug, here's a question for you. Of these top Reds pitching prospects, which has the plus pitch, the "out" pitch, the stuff that you think will succeed against major league hitting?

I've come to appreciate that success against minor leaguers from the mound can be a sign of maturity, command, and reasonably decent pitches. But sometimes it just doesn't project to the big leagues.

I know the stats for these prospects, but I don't know how they will translate to the big leagues. I can see who is likely to GET to the big leagues, but do you see any of them likely to be successful there?

Obviously you have some concerns about Cingrani, but do any of the others figure to be average or above major league pitchers?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I've said it before but I'll say it again- the parallels between Cingrani and Zach Stewart are striking- both college relievers drafted by the Reds in the 3rd round out of Texas schools. Both converted to starters and had dominant debuts and second seasons that include somewhat delayed promotions. Yet despite overwhelming success in numbers, questions remain(ed) about both players' ability to stick to starting.

I wouldn't be surprised if the parallels continue and Cingrani is the key piece in a trade to bolster the Reds' playoff run later this summer.
    If we trade Tony for a aging all star 3rd baseman would this be a good trade???

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

Eh, Cingrani started in junior college and one year in 4 year college. I do agree with the overall premise though, Cingrani is a 50-50 starter/reliever to me right now until he shows me something more. I am just not sold at all that he can keep starting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Doug, here's a question for you. Of these top Reds pitching prospects, which has the plus pitch, the "out" pitch, the stuff that you think will succeed against major league hitting?

I've come to appreciate that success against minor leaguers from the mound can be a sign of maturity, command, and reasonably decent pitches. But sometimes it just doesn't project to the big leagues.

I know the stats for these prospects, but I don't know how they will translate to the big leagues. I can see who is likely to GET to the big leagues, but do you see any of them likely to be successful there?

Obviously you have some concerns about Cingrani, but do any of the others figure to be average or above major league pitchers?
    Corcino's slider. Lotzkars curve. Sulbarans curve. All above-average MLB pitches when they are on.

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    If we trade Tony for a aging all star 3rd baseman would this be a good trade???
    You mean like an aging all star 3rd baseman from an AL East team who has local ties to the region and is a FA-to-be? A guy who has won a WS championship but has back issues that are threatening his career? It's like deja vu all over again...
    Go BLUE!!!

If Stewart is all we give up, sign me up.

For a future Cy Young Award winner, he's been less than stellar.

For a future Cy Young Award winner, he's been less than stellar.
    Pitching out of the pen these days.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Now he just needs to use it more. And his second pitch more.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Now he just needs to use it more. And his second pitch more.
    True. The problem is that he's so good with his first pitch that he hasn't needed to rely much on anything else. Hopefully there are enough AAA and/or AA hitters who can make him realize he has some things left to learn about pitching before he learns the hard way in the majors like Homer Bailey did.

Does Cingrani remind anyone of Matt Maloney? I'm just curious.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Same old same old. The guy who has "potential" and the guy whose stats say he's the guy.

I'm with Cingrani until his stats say otherwise. Saw this with Cueto and Bailey in the minors for years. Everyone sucked up the hype on Bailey, and Cueto simply did better.

Turn Off Ads?