Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Cingrani is our best pitching prospect IMO

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Cingrani is our best pitching prospect IMO

From Jim Riggleman after the game last night

He has been outstanding, but he couldn’t get the ball down today and didn’t have his breaking ball,” Riggleman said. “The breaking ball has been an issue throughout, but he had a couple games where he made progress.

“We were hoping with the 10 days off, and a couple bullpen sessions, he would be sharper with his breaking ball, but it wasn’t to be.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    From Jim Riggleman after the game last night

He has been outstanding, but he couldn’t get the ball down today and didn’t have his breaking ball,” Riggleman said. “The breaking ball has been an issue throughout, but he had a couple games where he made progress.

“We were hoping with the 10 days off, and a couple bullpen sessions, he would be sharper with his breaking ball, but it wasn’t to be.”
    Doug,

Hopefully a good learning experience from failure for Tony, taking from this the need to work on his secondary pitches and keep the ball down.

Tony has two more steps ahead of him and they will become progressively tougher for without decent offspeed offerings if he remains a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Doug,

Hopefully a good learning experience from failure for Tony, taking from this the need to work on his secondary pitches and keep the ball down.
    His secondary stuff wasn't really there last night, but that isn't why he got hit around. He got hit around because he was throwing his fastball at the waist to the chest after the 3rd inning. That was either the 6th or 7th start of his that I have watched and that was the first time I have seen him struggle to locate his fastball for more than 3-4 pitches in a row. He was consistently up in the zone for the second half of his outing last night and he is usually a guy who just pounds the knee caps with strikes both inside and outside corners with his fastball.

He has made strides with his breaking ball. It is still incredibly inconsistent, but has made pretty big improvements since last year.

His secondary stuff wasn't really there last night, but that isn't why he got hit around. He got hit around because he was throwing his fastball at the waist to the chest after the 3rd inning. That was either the 6th or 7th start of his that I have watched and that was the first time I have seen him struggle to locate his fastball for more than 3-4 pitches in a row. He was consistently up in the zone for the second half of his outing last night and he is usually a guy who just pounds the knee caps with strikes both inside and outside corners with his fastball.

He has made strides with his breaking ball. It is still incredibly inconsistent, but has made pretty big improvements since last year.
    Converting from a reliever in college to a starter, he will need two more years to get his innings count up in order to pitch a full mlb season. Also the Reds over the next two years don't have a lot of holes in their rotation.

Converting from a reliever in college to a starter, he will need two more years to get his innings count up in order to pitch a full mlb season. Also the Reds over the next two years don't have a lot of holes in their rotation.
    Cingrani started his first 3 years in college, so he isn't really a converted reliever in the traditional sense.

Cingrani started his first 3 years in college, so he isn't really a converted reliever in the traditional sense.
    With everybody coming back next year, we don't really need him. 2014 would be his ETA and if Chapman is converted then there are no openings..

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Yeah, everything he has been saying is the right stuff. It seems that he understands it, the coaches get it and they are working together to try and make it better.
    In terms of interviews and saying the right stuff, I hear Crash Davis has been tutoring him.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

With everybody coming back next year, we don't really need him. 2014 would be his ETA and if Chapman is converted then there are no openings..
    Don't need him?

Baseball is a funny game. What happens if a couple of starting pitchers have arm or shoulder problems pop up? I think you have gotten to comfortable with the good luck our staff has had this season. Look at Madson. Look at Masset. Look at Bray. An injury can happen at any moment.

OR........a guy can be having a terrific Reds career and become the next Roy Halladay or Cole Hamels and outprice himself in Cincinnati.

And Arroyo is gone after next season. Cueto is signed through 2015 then what? Latos too, then what? Bailey and Leake will have to be extended soon, then what?

YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH GOOD PITCHING. I hope Cingrani, Corcino, Stephenson, Travieso and even the other guys - Sulbaran, Lotzkar, etc......become good if not better.

With Corcino, Cingrani, Lotzkar, Sulbaran and Villarreal all at AA or higher right now, I am not overly concerned about us not having the depth. Just have to hope that if there is an injury, that it isn't serious.

With Corcino, Cingrani, Lotzkar, Sulbaran and Villarreal all at AA or higher right now, I am not overly concerned about us not having the depth. Just have to hope that if there is an injury, that it isn't serious.
    What I meant is there is no need to rush him at this moment, but yea considering the Reds luck...

What I meant is there is no need to rush him at this moment, but yea considering the Reds luck...
    Because of Arroyo's contract, I'm expecting all five starters back for the Reds next year unless they make good on moving Aroldis to the rotation (which I'm serious beginning to doubt). I want Corcino & Cingrani to pitch at L'Ville next year and get everything down right, then have at least one of them ready to step up in 2014 after BA's contract is up.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Because of Arroyo's contract, I'm expecting all five starters back for the Reds next year unless they make good on moving Aroldis to the rotation (which I'm serious beginning to doubt). I want Corcino & Cingrani to pitch at L'Ville next year and get everything down right, then have at least one of them ready to step up in 2014 after BA's contract is up.
    It wouldn't bother me having them there 2 years...

I think this thread illustrates why it's sometimes a bit boring in the ORG nowadays. Just a bit too much moderation, not so much from the moderators just from posters in general trying to break up a potential scrap. This thread was entertaining and informative and everyone came out the other end just fine. I actually read every post. When I 1st came to this site I was fairly clueless and some might argue I still am (that's ok) but I have no doubt I have learned alot about baseball and alot about myself and most of that came from scrapping in the ORG and being allowed to have some smart posters beat some of that ignorance out of me, (well most of it).

As for the point of the thread I didn't know much about Cingrani before (haven't been following the minors much for some time now) but now I have a pretty good idea. Any guy that has 2 good pitches, the feel for a 3rd, control, command, the ability to make adjustments both large & small and a realistic overview of himself has a pretty good chance to get where he is going. I like his odds of being a starter (and a solid one at that) to be better than 50/50 for those reasons.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?