Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Cingrani is our best pitching prospect IMO

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Cingrani is our best pitching prospect IMO

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    MiLB article today on his transition to SP and his self grade of his repertoire.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp...&tcid=tw_share
    Great article. Thanks for posting, powersackers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by UCBrownsfan View Post
    Obviously he needs to continue, but it seems odd to me that guys like Massett are said to have stuff and never have a high K rate in the minors while Cingrani with a very good K rate, and even better K/BB is said not to have stuff. Even if he's just a reliever, he seems to have potential to be our best reliever not named Chapman.
    to play the Devil's advocate,see Guevara, Carlos whose leaving the Reds organization was criticized by some (ie me). Not a stuff guy, crazy k/9 stats .
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=guevar001jos

He never did lose a MLB game however.

to play the Devil's advocate,see Guevara, Carlos whose leaving the Reds organization was criticized by some (ie me). Not a stuff guy, crazy k/9 stats .

Interesting stat line, I'd be curious as to his story, Advantages Cingrani has clearly by stats though: Lefty, 6'4 v 5'11, younger for his level, starter vs relief, 7.7 K/BB v 3.3, .89 v 1.23 WHIP.

I think it just frustrates me how many bullpen guys we have had besides chapman that have low K numbers, even in the minors.

I think it just frustrates me how many bullpen guys we have had besides chapman that have low K numbers, even in the minors.
    If you think the Reds are lacking in minor league relievers with high K numbers, you haven't looked at the Bakersfield Blaze bullpen. There are a decent amount of pitchers who can miss bats scattered elsewhere throughout the organization, too. Btw, the Reds bullpen leads MLB in K/9 by a landslide, and even if you omit Aroldis Chapman, they're only slightly behind San Diego for 2nd best in the Majors.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I can't follow his logic here:

"I threw the curveball until my junior year in college and then started throwing the slider 'cause the curveball doesn't really go with how I throw right now. If I had a slider, then I could throw a curveball, but I don't have a consistent slider. If I have a curveball, hitters can sit back on it, hit it, because it would be so much slower."

Last edited by malcontent; 06-16-2012 at 06:59 AM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    I can't follow his logic here:

"I threw the curveball until my junior year in college and then started throwing the slider 'cause the curveball doesn't really go with how I throw right now. If I had a slider, then I could throw a curveball, but I don't have a consistent slider. If I have a curveball, hitters can sit back on it, hit it, because it would be so much slower."

Well, he is kind of right. Good hitters are going to be able to adjust and make contact on a curveball easier than they will a slider, if they are seeing fastball. A slider is coming in 10-12 MPH slower, the curve is coming in about 15-20 MPH slower. Gives you just a little extra time to slow that bat down/adjust if you recognize at 40 feet that you aren't getting a fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    If you think the Reds are lacking in minor league relievers with high K numbers, you haven't looked at the Bakersfield Blaze bullpen. There are a decent amount of pitchers who can miss bats scattered elsewhere throughout the organization, too. Btw, the Reds bullpen leads MLB in K/9 by a landslide, and even if you omit Aroldis Chapman, they're only slightly behind San Diego for 2nd best in the Majors.
    Sorry, didn't mean currently in the minors, I meant guys like Massett and Ondrusek's K Rates weren't that great even in the minors.

i'll believe he's the reds best pitching prospect if redsof72 says he is. interestingly enough, it doesn't look like he's even opened this thread.

Interesting stat line, I'd be curious as to his story, Advantages Cingrani has clearly by stats though: Lefty, 6'4 v 5'11, younger for his level, starter vs relief, 7.7 K/BB v 3.3, .89 v 1.23 WHIP.

Guevara was a screwball thrower who was seen by critics as someone with the trick pitch to succeed against lower level hitters who would hit a ceiling with higher competition. Critics were correct IIRC and I was wrong.

Kevin Goldstein‏@Kevin_Goldstein

Very weird prospect. How long can he pitch like that w/ below average breaking ball? RT @dbert: @Kevin_Goldstein Tony Cingrani?
    Interesting comments from Goldstein via twitter this evening when asked about Tony Cingrani. Hopefully it's not if he can improve on the breaking ball but when he does.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

LOL at the people worrying about his breaking ball. That can be taught. What CAN'T be taught is all the other impressive attributes Cingrani brings to the table: 6-4 lefty with a powerful fastball that he commands well.

Back of the baseball card (even at AA) doesn't lie. Dude is our top pitching prospect IMO. And what I love is there are plenty of others real close to him like Corcino, Lotzkar and Stephenson.
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 06-28-2012 at 11:26 AM.

Lol at the people who think a breaking ball can be taught to everyone. If it could be taught there would be a whole bunch of really good starting pitchers.

And no, back of the baseball cards don't lie*

*When the back of the card has Major League stats on it

Last night, according to Cingrani himself, was the best his offspeed stuff has ever been. He threw about 5 good breaking balls in the game. He threw about 5 really poor ones too. That is the BEST they have ever been.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Last night, according to Cingrani himself, was the best his offspeed stuff has ever been. He threw about 5 good breaking balls in the game. He threw about 5 really poor ones too. That is the BEST they have ever been.
    In other words Doug ... "He's being taught how to throw it."

Now pay attention. Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Lol at the people who think a breaking ball can be taught to everyone. If it could be taught there would be a whole bunch of really good starting pitchers.

And no, back of the baseball cards don't lie*

*When the back of the card has Major League stats on it
    Please show me where I said a breaking ball can be taught to "everyone." I said it CAN be taught. I also said what CAN'T be taught is the ability to throw 95 with good command. You also CAN'T teach being 6-4 and left-handed.

But can you possibly teach someone how to throw a good breaking ball? Yes. Everyone that walks the planet? No. Hopefully this clears it up.

Turn Off Ads?