Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm concerned about Rolen's eventual return

I'm concerned about Rolen's eventual return

From Fay's blog/tweets, it seems (reading between the lines) as if we could expect a rehab stint to begin in the next week or so for Rolen. I love Rolen as a player, but I fear his return to the starting lineup could sink this club.

Todd Frazier (while currently not qualifed) would rank 6th in the majors for 3B OPS right now. Second only to David Wright in SLG. Acceptable fielder based on my eyes, with hopefully room to improve. It's gotta be his job to lose now, no?

*I am aware we are dealing with a small sample size with Frazier, but his numbers and his passing the eyeball test are what leads me to this decision of making 3B his to lose*

But I (who almost always gives the FO/Dusty the benefit of the doubt in letting moves play out) can see what is coming a mile away. The reinsertion of Rolen into the everyday lineup.

Does anyone on RZ want Rolen back in the lineup "everyday"? I would be suprised if so.

I hope I am wrong on this and wiser heads prevail.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I'm concerned about Rolen's eventual return

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    From Fay's blog/tweets, it seems (reading between the lines) as if we could expect a rehab stint to begin in the next week or so for Rolen. I love Rolen as a player, but I fear his return to the starting lineup could sink this club.

Todd Frazier (while currently not qualifed) would rank 6th in the majors for 3B OPS right now. Second only to David Wright in SLG. Acceptable fielder based on my eyes, with hopefully room to improve. It's gotta be his job to lose now, no?

*I am aware we are dealing with a small sample size with Frazier, but his numbers and his passing the eyeball test are what leads me to this decision of making 3B his to lose*

But I (who almost always gives the FO/Dusty the benefit of the doubt in letting moves play out) can see what is coming a mile away. The reinsertion of Rolen into the everyday lineup.

Does anyone on RZ want Rolen back in the lineup "everyday"? I would be suprised if so.

I hope I am wrong on this and wiser heads prevail.
    I shared this fear with my brother yesterday. I have little doubt Rolen will play when he comes back. Maybe he gets a few days off a week. But to me it should be the other way around. Frazier should play the majority, Rolen should pinch hit and spot start. Frazier is one of the few players not performing below expectations, and he needs to stay in the lineup.

I doubt Rolen returns as the everyday 3B. I see a situation like catching, a 60-40 split, probably with Frazier getting the 60, since he's healthy.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I doubt Rolen returns as the everyday 3B. I see a situation like catching, a 60-40 split, probably with Frazier getting the 60, since he's healthy.
    I could go 75-25 or so, but 60-40 is still too much Rolen for me. I also failed to mention in my initial post that Fay has also implied Rolen will get his job back...but then again, it is Fay we are talking about.

Also, we are assuming that Rolen will be just as bad he was at the beginning of the season. The whole point of putting him on the DL was to improve his shoulder. Maybe it didn't work, but no need to assume that it didn't.

Also, we are assuming that Rolen will be just as bad he was at the beginning of the season. The whole point of putting him on the DL was to improve his shoulder. Maybe it didn't work, but no need to assume that it didn't.
    Frazier 2012 > Rolen 2011 and 2012

I'm not assuming that, and that is how I came to my decision.

If this team sinks it won't be because Rolens on the field.The bullpen and the bench have my biggest concerns right now.My concern is the pen wearing down and all the automatic outs on the bench.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Right now it seems Frazier is the 2nd best hitter on the team, so I would be concerned if Rolen took his spot in the lineup. I am not concerned about two or three weeks from now when/if Rolen is ready to play.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Frazier 2012 > Rolen 2011 and 2012

I'm not assuming that, and that is how I came to my decision.
    I'm not sold on Frazier, not even close. Works hard, but lots of warts.

Anyway, when I mean Rolen's shoulder gets better, I mean better than 2011-12. I also don't see Rolen playing regularly for too long if it's not.

I'm not sold on Frazier, not even close. Works hard, but lots of warts.

Anyway, when I mean Rolen's shoulder gets better, I mean better than 2011-12. I also don't see Rolen playing regularly for too long if it's not.
    I'm sold on Frazier at this point a whole lot more than the Rolen we've seen for the past season+. As noted above, he's hit pretty darn well. I wish Dusty would stick him in the clean up spot for a couple weeks and let it go.

Here is a good example of the myth that Dusty will play the lesser "vet" player over the young guy to a fault, even after it makes sense to do so. I'd say we're a better team with Rolen/Frazier than Frazier/Cairo/Valdez, no? Obviously, I'm making assumptions that Rolen will perform better than the beginning of the season just as much as others are assuming he will stink it up at the plate. His D sure isn't being matched by Frazier, who can get to balls, but has an erratic arm. Rolen was still giving above average D, and more importantly, reliable D.

The answer doesn't always have to be "either/or," maybe Dusty will figure out a good balance that is performance based, well, like he has since being manager here (sends several to bball-ref.com to find the "vets" Dusty played over the young up and comer, what about Patterson, Cabrera, Taveras, Gomes, etc.).
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Wouldn't be surprised to see Frazier in LF sometimes when Rolen comes back. Let's be honest though, Rolens return will be short lived. If surgery (again) didn't fix the shoulder, no way a DL stint lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by jhu1321 View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Frazier in LF sometimes when Rolen comes back. Let's be honest though, Rolens return will be short lived. If surgery (again) didn't fix the shoulder, no way a DL stint lasts.
    So, you have access to his medical diagnosis and are in sports medicine?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I'm hoping the return of Rolen sends Cairo packing.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Here is a good example of the myth that Dusty will play the lesser "vet" player over the young guy to a fault, even after it makes sense to do so. I'd say we're a better team with Rolen/Frazier than Frazier/Cairo/Valdez, no? Obviously, I'm making assumptions that Rolen will perform better than the beginning of the season just as much as others are assuming he will stink it up at the plate. His D sure isn't being matched by Frazier, who can get to balls, but has an erratic arm. Rolen was still giving above average D, and more importantly, reliable D.

The answer doesn't always have to be "either/or," maybe Dusty will figure out a good balance that is performance based, well, like he has since being manager here (sends several to bball-ref.com to find the "vets" Dusty played over the young up and comer, what about Patterson, Cabrera, Taveras, Gomes, etc.).
    So to be clear, if you are in charge when Rolen comes back, what do you do? Would you expect him to be better than Rolen 2011?

Turn Off Ads?