Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swap Ondrusek and Simon?

Swap Ondrusek and Simon?

This post comes with all the heated frustration of a sundeck reactionary thread, but after checking the numbers, I figured there was enough objective evidence to bear out my point and make this a thread worthy topic...and I'm REALLY angry!!!!

Ondrusek performed well as a high leverage set up man early in the year, but I'm pretty much done watching this 6th inning reliever miscast into these types of situations. His K rate is hovering under 6 and his control isn't doing him any favors either. Just brings nothing to the table to warrant this much trust.

Simon, on the other hand, seems to have found some kind of niche in the bullpen. Every time Dusty puts him in, he throws strikes, has good stuff, and misses bats. Sounds like a late inning reliever to me.

So I've got the petition and back up mob torches in my garage...who's with me?!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Swap Ondrusek and Simon?

The bigger problem in this specific game was the absolutely horrifying use of Arredondo.

That being said, I trust Ondrusek less the more that I watch him play.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    The bigger problem in this specific game was the absolutely horrifying use of Arredondo.

That being said, I trust Ondrusek less the more that I watch him play.
    His FIP, not including tonight, is the highest in the whole pen by 0.78. I know there's no chance this gets addressed anytime soon because his ERA is still shiny, but tonight was just maddening. A leadoff hitter facing a three run deficit and batting .210 should never in a million years walk on four pitches.

Arredondo against Cabrera in that spot in the seventh inning made perfect sense to me. He just didn't do the job.

Ondrusek looked better this weekend. He wasn't bad tonight, he got them out of the 7th, then in the 8th, three runs up, he allowed a walk and a bloop. Not a disaster in my book, Chapman just had some bad luck.

Generally, Baker is relying too much on four relievers. He needs to use Simon and Lecure more in the later innings, and to use the "big four" less. Over the last week I've started to see overuse of the main four relievers which is a bad trend and is impairing their effectiveness.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-11-2012 at 12:37 AM.

I'd like to see more of Hoover.

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    And Marshall. Tonight was on Dusty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Right, Dusty walked Cabrera and gave up the hit to Fielder.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    This post comes with all the heated frustration of a sundeck reactionary thread, but after checking the numbers, I figured there was enough objective evidence to bear out my point and make this a thread worthy topic...and I'm REALLY angry!!!!

Ondrusek performed well as a high leverage set up man early in the year, but I'm pretty much done watching this 6th inning reliever miscast into these types of situations. His K rate is hovering under 6 and his control isn't doing him any favors either. Just brings nothing to the table to warrant this much trust.

Simon, on the other hand, seems to have found some kind of niche in the bullpen. Every time Dusty puts him in, he throws strikes, has good stuff, and misses bats. Sounds like a late inning reliever to me.

So I've got the petition and back up mob torches in my garage...who's with me?!
    Agree with the low K, high walk, BABIP fueled effectiveness asessment for Ondrusek. I have a feeling he's the guy most likely to go south. I'm hoping for the team to mix all three of Lecure, Simon and Hoover into the late innng mix more often. I suspect Lecure will prove to be the best of them, but I'd give them all a try. Arredondo needs a bit more rest too. With Bray rehabbing and a lot of teams needing bullpen depth, I wonder if Ondrusek could be the guy to deal to address the LH platoon OF that the team really needs.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Why do you say that?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Why do you say that?
    Im usually not a big hammer on Dusty guy but I thought he mismanaged the game last night. What was shocking is he used up his top 3 guys to record 1 out in the 7th. I wouldn't have yanked Arredondo to face fielder and then wouldn't have yanked Marshall to face Young. It was a TLR managed game something Dusty doesn't done and hasn't done during his tenure as a Red. Going to Chapman in the 8th wasn't a big deal except that everything went wrong when he got into the game. The grazing of a HBP then the double down the line that kicked up chalk at best.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Im usually not a big hammer on Dusty guy but I thought he mismanaged the game last night. What was shocking is he used up his top 3 guys to record 1 out in the 7th. I wouldn't have yanked Arredondo to face fielder and then wouldn't have yanked Marshall to face Young. It was a TLR managed game something Dusty doesn't done and hasn't done during his tenure as a Red. Going to Chapman in the 8th wasn't a big deal except that everything went wrong when he got into the game. The grazing of a HBP then the double down the line that kicked up chalk at best.
    If the relivers had recored outs everyone would have thought baker had done the right think.

It's not like we ran out of relievers or anything.

Each relief change resulted in a better match up for us.

If Arredondo had given up hits to Fielder and Young everyone would have complained.

The fact is the moves look bad because the relievers didn't get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    If the relivers had recored outs everyone would have thought baker had done the right think.

It's not like we ran out of relievers or anything.

Each relief change resulted in a better match up for us.

If Arredondo had given up hits to Fielder and Young everyone would have complained.

The fact is the moves look bad because the relievers didn't get the job done.
    Arredondo walked Cabrera, Marshall gave up a hit to Fielder, then Ondrusek came in to face Young. Dusty has never really managed that way, especially with his top 3 high leverage relievers, guys who you expect to face one batter or more. If you wanted to bring Marshall into face Fielder then fine, but give him Young to get out as well. It was just a couple of weeks ago that you would bring Marshall into face three hitters in the ninth regardless of handedness, now he is only good enough to face one? Cabrera and Fielder I can see making situational changes, but Young?

Arredondo walked Cabrera, Marshall gave up a hit to Fielder, then Ondrusek came in to face Young. Dusty has never really managed that way, especially with his top 3 high leverage relievers, guys who you expect to face one batter or more. If you wanted to bring Marshall into face Fielder then fine, but give him Young to get out as well. It was just a couple of weeks ago that you would bring Marshall into face three hitters in the ninth regardless of handedness, now he is only good enough to face one? Cabrera and Fielder I can see making situational changes, but Young?
    This. Using Marshall as a LOOGY is just poor managing.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

A little over a month ago, people wanted Ondrusek to be the closer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

But keeping those guys in the game longer shouldn't have increased our chances of winning.

Each resulted in a better match up for us, and we didn't run out of pitchers.

Posters arguing about leaving Marshall in longer isn't about him having a better chance of getting Young out. It's about Ondrusek giving up a walk and a hit to open the 8th.

Baker should have chosen a different route to take becuase this one didn't work. I think that's the argument. I don't think anyone is saying that he put inferior choices in there to face certain batters.

Again, it's not like he ran out of pitchers.

Turn Off Ads?