Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Prospect Profile: Josh Fellhauer

Prospect Profile: Josh Fellhauer

I apologize if we already have a thread for Fellhauer, but I couldn't find one.

Saw this on Corey Brinn's blog about Fellhauer's first hit for the Dragons:

Josh Fellhauer collects 1st Pro Hit
    July 15th, 2009

Just last month, Josh Fellhauer was selected by the Cincinnati Reds in the seventh round of the 2009 Major League Draft. After agreeing to terms, he was flown to Dayton on July 3 for his physical and to sign his contract. Several hours later he was dressed in uniform as the newest member of the Dayton Dragons. Fellhauer did not see action that night, but was able to watch from the bench and soak in life in professional baseball.

Following that game, the Dragons boarded a bus for a three-city, ten-game road trip. Fellhauer was inserted into his first professional game on July 4, playing center field and batting leadoff. It took until his second professional game, but Fellhauer collected his first professional hit off of the West Michigan starter on July 5, a single.

When time was called, we asked the umpire to please throw out the ball in order to present it Fellhauer as his first professional hit. I quickly grabbed the ball that was thrown towards our dugout and held on to it until I could present to Fellhauer after the game.

During that same inning, Fellhauer came around to score and received tons of congratulations from his teammates. Tossing the ball up and down in my hand, I told “Felly,” his college nickname at Cal-State Fullerton, that I had the ball for him, and he thanked me. At that moment, I dropped the ball that I was holding and it rolled off the dugout step down a few feet toward the bat rack. Dragons infielder Kevyn Feiner was walking by, so he picked up the ball and immediately tossed it over his head, over the dugout roof and into the stands.

Dragons players began to yell at Feiner, telling him he had just thrown Fellhauer’s first professional hit into the stands. One guy even started to climb up to ask the fan for it back. Feiner just stared at us with a confused look on his face.

Not wanting things to get carried too far, I pulled the actual baseball out of my pocket that Fellhauer had connected on for his first professional hit. Feiner and I broke into a huge laughter, as we had set the whole thing up together.

Fellhauer later told me, “I didn’t know what had just happened. I thought there was a net up there and the ball would bounce back into the dugout, but it never came back.”

He cracked a smile, realizing he had already been pranked, less than a week into his professional career. Josh Fellhauer, welcome to the minor leagues!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Prospect Profile: Josh Fellhauer

So, is Fellhauer a prospect who has been overlooked? He started well, but the past couple of years he's seemed like minor league filler. Now he's in AA, getting on base and playing sound defense. They seem to be sitting him in favor of PJ Phillips too much, but Chris Heisey and Chris Denorfia are guys who didn't really look like prospects at first either. He's a lefty bat and plays a poistion where the reds need help. Is he some one to watch?
    Last edited by mth123; 05-13-2012 at 03:38 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Organizational Fodder with maybe a role of 4th OF depending on the team. He has very little pop.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Nice and short swing, but probably more of an extra outfielder. He can cover center in a pinch though, so there is some potential value as a back up for him.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Nice and short swing, but probably more of an extra outfielder. He can cover center in a pinch though, so there is some potential value as a back up for him.
    T need him now IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=fellha001jos

His strong year has continued. He looks like a reserve outfielder to me, but if he can play a solid center field, maybe he could become more than that.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=fellha001jos

His strong year has continued. He looks like a reserve outfielder to me, but if he can play a solid center field, maybe he could become more than that.
    I don't know how long he will be able to maintain this .381 BABIP, but his increased walk rate is very encouraging.

Despite his struggles in Lynchburg, if Fellhauer can duplicate his minor league slash line at the Major League level, he has a good career ahead of him as a reserve outfielder. He has yet to play center field this year, but his line of .307/.390/.423/.813 coming into tonight would play well at any position. Heck, if there's any proof that he figured things out this year, we might see him compete with Chris Heisey down the line since Heisey has become so reluctant to take a walk since being called up.

Despite his struggles in Lynchburg, if Fellhauer can duplicate his minor league slash line at the Major League level, he has a good career ahead of him as a reserve outfielder. He has yet to play center field this year, but his line of .307/.390/.423/.813 coming into tonight would play well at any position. Heck, if there's any proof that he figured things out this year, we might see him compete with Chris Heisey down the line since Heisey has become so reluctant to take a walk since being called up.
    His splits against RHP are great: .331/.421/.460 which is why his numbers are up this year, as they've all but stopped him from facing LHP (15 ab's this year .148 OPS). Sounds like a good LF platoon option to me, but there will be a lot for him to prove and I'd expect him to have to do that in AAA really soon or start next year there as well.

His splits against RHP are great: .331/.421/.460 which is why his numbers are up this year, as they've all but stopped him from facing LHP (15 ab's this year .148 OPS). Sounds like a good LF platoon option to me, but there will be a lot for him to prove and I'd expect him to have to do that in AAA really soon or start next year there as well.
    Nice. He's going to have to prove it at AAA too, but I think Fellhauer is showing the Reds what they hoped he would. Can't ask for much more from a 7th rounder than to be profiling well as a platoon player who plays good defense and has solid intangibles. (Note the very similar profile of this year's 7th rounder, Beau Amaral.)

He's not an everyday player in Pensacola. Only plays against right handed pitchers!

Turn Off Ads?