Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Facebook pet peeves

Re: Facebook pet peeves

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I think another obvious one is people who are always preaching religion and quoting scripture. I have no problem at all with their beliefs and passion for those beliefs. But to preach to everyone is generally very condescending and self righteous. It just comes across as "hey everyone, look how righteous and spiritual I am."
    Along those lines: the prayer requests. "Dear friends, my beloved hamster Murray is going in for surgery on his impacted tooth today. Please send prayers."
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I think another obvious one is people who are always preaching religion and quoting scripture. I have no problem at all with their beliefs and passion for those beliefs. But to preach to everyone is generally very condescending and self righteous. It just comes across as "hey everyone, look how righteous and spiritual I am."
    My wife complains about that one too. She also has a friend who constantly posts pics/stories about shelter and rescue dogs. It's like seeing that animal commercial over and over, the one that makes you change the channel everytime you see it. (I think it's the one with the Sarah McLachlan song)

Her sister is the queen of trying to elicit the "what's wrong?" comments. She will post short vague things like "This is the worst thing that coulda happened" or "I'm just devastated" without any additional storyline. When you ask her, it's something trivial like her 13 year old daughter got dumped by her boyfriend of 1 week.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Quote Originally Posted by PedroBourbon View Post
    My wife complains about that one too. She also has a friend who constantly posts pics/stories about shelter and rescue dogs. It's like seeing that animal commercial over and over, the one that makes you change the channel everytime you see it. (I think it's the one with the Sarah McLachlan song)

Her sister is the queen of trying to elicit the "what's wrong?" comments. She will post short vague things like "This is the worst thing that coulda happened" or "I'm just devastated" without any additional storyline. When you ask her, it's something trivial like her 13 year old daughter got dumped by her boyfriend of 1 week.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Constant political commentary. I have friends of all political persuasions and some of them feel the need to lead their own internet crusade. I'm all for the occasional political post/discussion, but when my entire feed is spammed up with your rants I tend to make you disappear. One of my friends created his own political persona where he keeps most of his controversial posts; I wish more people would do the same.
    THIS! And I have one friend who is uber religious and posts hymn lyrics nearly every day. She's a good friend, and she doesn't preach at me in real life, so I tolerate it on FB. I do kind of get revenge sharing some my atheist friends posts that I find amusing, I know that gets her goat a bit.

My biggest pet peeve with FB? It postures as a social experience but it's woefully shallow as a social experience. Basically, IMHO, FB is a way to vaguely keep track of second tier people in your life. As a means of serious, quality interaction, it's basically making small talk. And for the pleasure, FB gets to track all kinds of stuff about you that frankly is scary.

I guess, I see it as trading FB a ten dollar bill for a shiny, crisp $1 bill. They get more out of me being on FB than I do.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

"(blank) days until I marry my best friend!"

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    "(blank) days until I marry my best friend!"
    That's actually how most of the posts about how much they love their spouse. It's usually something like "X years ago today I married my best friend. They've been the happiest years of my life. I love you sweetie."
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'm to the point where I block anyone an FB who is pregnant. Pregnant women on FB are a huge pet peeve of mine -- so many of them overshare every detail of the pregnancy (cravings, kicks, etc.) and subject my timeline to barrages of ultrasound pictures and (worse) pictures of them in "artful" poses exposing their stomachs as they go along.

Each of these posts always floats to the top of my timeline because, inevitably, all of their girlfriends post comment after comment all following the same general structure:

1. "Lookin' / Looking good mama!"
    2. "I can't wait to meet him/her." (really -- you "meet" an infant?)
    3. "I remember when I went through (insert aspect of pregnancy here) and how much I hated/liked it!"
    4. "It's all worthwhile once you can hold him/her"

It's nonsense and attention-seeking drivel.
    Word. The absolute nadir of this phenomenon is the picture of the used pregnancy test.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    My biggest pet peeve with FB? It postures as a social experience but it's woefully shallow as a social experience. Basically, IMHO, FB is a way to vaguely keep track of second tier people in your life.
    I don't have any good friends as Facebook friends, I figure I see and talk to them regularly enough that there's nothing I can learn from their facebook posts. I use it to keep track of acquaintances who I rarely see or talk to, espeically those somehow connected to my work. It is a great way to keep track of old classmates without having to actually talk to them, a really big plus for me
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Lots of things annoy me about facebook. Right now, its that EVERY single website in the world wants me to "log in with FACEBOOK".

NO I DONT WANT TO LOG IN WITH FACEBOOK. EVER. Stop asking me and get my profile picture off your stupid site.

(note to REDSZONE admins...please don't start doing this).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

The majority of my FB friends are my high school friends from back in Jersey, and the amount of people I see coming out of the woodworks to support the newest 'hot' team like the Giants or Devils tends to annoy me (especially if I can remember when they rooted for another team).
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I created a facebook page for both of my dogs. It rules.

One that tops my list:

My friend's teenage daughters who post their picture from the bathroom mirror with that kissy, duckface. Everytime you see that duckface, post "quack" under the pic.

I have a real problem with Facebook. The company's business model is based on monetizing the connections between people, and by extension the information that makes up their online life. Thus, there is this incentive for them to find ever more creative ways to encourage users to "share" information. Obviously, there is a value swap; users populate the site with the details of their lives at no cost in exchange for creating an online network of "friends". However, to me that tradeoff is little understood by most users; for instance people who post crap loads of sensitive information about their kids, or worse, their kids problems- "Please pray for my daughter as she gets an MRI this week to see if her epilepsy is subsiding...". To me, there is far too little understanding of the personal online footprint and the potential downstream effects of loading a site like Facebook with the details of one's life.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

The folks who post things like" Wow, disappointed'" or "This sucks" and then no explanation follows. The drama stuff.

I had to block a girl who kept posting pictures of her three year old with captions of how she was going to be a dancer in New York City. Five a day, at least. I wanted to comment that nobody would pay a dime to see her daughter dance if nobody can stand it for free.

The prayer requests are dreadful....as well as the political comments from either side. Just not the time or place.

Turn Off Ads?