Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Facebook pet peeves

Facebook pet peeves

Im going on almost no sleep due to a bad hotel bed, so I'm in the mood to be petty. Facebook has created an entirely new genre of pet peeves and I'm curious what y'alls are.

Top of my list is when people pronounce to the world how much they love their significant other or their kids I just don't see why everyone else needs to know that. Those are private things that should be said in person, which I'm sure they are, but announcing to the FB universe just seems like showboating to me.

I also have several friends who are always sharing all the things their brilliant and adorable kids say. Sure, sometimes it's funny enough that others would get a kick out of it, but enough already. We get it. Your kids are wonderful, smart, and witty.

Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Facebook pet peeves

I'm not on FB but my wife complains about people who post pictures of material things they've bought, or posting that they are enjoying their pool on a hot day, getting a massage at the swanky Maui hotel, etc. She calls it "Brag Book."
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

foursquare. The app that lets everyone know where you are. So and so is eating at such and such. If anyone WANTED to know where you were they would just call and/or text and ask. Such a silly app IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroBourbon View Post
    I'm not on FB but my wife complains about people who post pictures of material things they've bought, or posting that they are enjoying their pool on a hot day, getting a massage at the swanky Maui hotel, etc. She calls it "Brag Book."
    Yeah, posting pics of expensive cars is a good one.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I hate that if a friend comments on a status or likes a photo of one of their friends that I don't know it shows up in my news feed unless I explicitly go and change my settings for that "friendship".

I don't want to see things that have nothing to do with me and frankly it keeps me from commenting or "liking" things because I don't want to clutter up the feed for everyone else

FB has gotten to the point of overkill on what information it shows you and I think it's made it much less enjoyable.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I agree with that, pedro. It seems like there's always something new that changes what shows up on my feed that clutters it up and forced me to go change my settings. Then another change comes later and I have to change the settings all over again.

I do think FB was a better overall experience a couple of years ago. I'm not a rejecter of changes just because they're different. I've always kept an open mind about them. But most of the significant changes that have been made have made it a worse experience for me. The bar to the right showing who's online is a great example. They use to have a smaller one y could easily see your different groups and quickly change you status for the groups. I can't for the life of me figure out why they changed to what's the now. Why was that an improvement?

I think when the history books are written, Mark Zuckerberg will be seen as a guy with a few ideas, but mostly just lucky and was in way over his head after FB became huge. He so wants to be seen in the same light as a Steve Jobs or the founders of google, but he's really not a very good businessperson. Going public will wind up being the biggest mistake he made as its most likely to end up getting him pushed out as CEO.

I killed that floating bar the day it came out. I can't remember exactly how I did it now but if you search google there are solutions.

I also adblock everything.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I killed that floating bar the day it came out. I can't remember exactly how I did it now but if you search google there are solutions.

I also adblock everything.
    I looked into that and was able to get rid of it, but it just gets rid of it altogether. I do occasionally chat with old friends so I like to use it every once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Top of my list is when people pronounce to the world how much they love their significant other or their kids I just don't see why everyone else needs to know that. Those are private things that should be said in person, which I'm sure they are, but announcing to the FB universe just seems like showboating to me.
    This one gets me too, and I suspect most of the people who do this are the ones who have the most tension in their marriages but want to project an image of marital bliss. Or that by posting how deliriously happy they are, they will somehow will it to be true. I can think of a couple of examples within my own circle of friends where this applies.

I also can't stand the updates on the minutiae of someone's daily life. "Leaving work, off to the gym, then dinner!"
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    This one gets me too, and I suspect most of the people who do this are the ones who have the most tension in their marriages but want to project an image of marital bliss. Or that by posting how deliriously happy they are, they will somehow will it to be true. I can think of a couple of examples within my own circle of friends where this applies.

I also can't stand the updates on the minutiae of someone's daily life. "Leaving work, off to the gym, then dinner!"
    Both good ones. Your first one reminded me of another, people who are always posting positive and inspirational quotes as if that makes them full of wisdom and inspiration. At one point I actuall started posting negative and demotivating quotes just to balance things out.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Both good ones. Your first one reminded me of another, people who are always posting positive and inspirational quotes as if that makes them full of wisdom and inspiration. At one point I actuall started posting negative and demotivating quotes just to balance things out.
    I have a good friend that bickers in public with his wife constantly to the point that sometimes I want to strangle him but then on FB he posts all these dali lama quotes that make him come off like he's some sort of zen master. Cracks me up.

Oh and to the people who pretend like they invented love or are the first people ever to love their kids. Blech.

I refuse to use facebook for those exact reasons you all are posting above...FB is nothing more than a drama driven website...so many kids get in fights because of what is said on FB, so many adults lose relationships over FB, so many teens get embarrassed over what is said about them on FB. We, as a human race are slowly forgetting how to communicate with each other....I though email was going to kill human interaction, I was wrong, FB is..

People need to re-learn how to communicate with their kids and their extended familiies, you dont need to FB someone and say hi, you need to pick up the phone or knock on the door to say hi. People act as if their lives are so busy that FB is the only way to stay in touch, that is pure and total BS, there is not one person outside of the President of the USA that is to busy to stop by a friends house and spend 30 minutes on their front porch drinking a cold one talking about the Reds, or using your smartphone to call your cousin in the next state to say hi....

I could go on and on about FB and its demise of society and how we interact with each other....

My daughter was in her bedroom the other day and texted me to ask if she could have a friend spend the night...I feel sorry for all these kids who wont know how to talk to people unless its via a smartphone or FB or both...

and mind you, I am a little older than most FB generation people, but I am still young enough to remember having no cell phone and driving to a Reds game in a car with no A/C, no power windows and a stick shift.

Rant over, go Reds

TMBS, I do like FB for being able to keep up with friends in other cities. I've moved around a lot in my life and it's nice to have a single place to communicate with friends.

I guess I'm the worst person in the world then. I don't usually post the minutiae of my family's day or what my kids says, but I did the other day because I had experience a poignant moment when my daughter told me she loved me for the first time ever and was uberjoyful, so I shared it. I am wicked and horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Spazzrico View Post
    I guess I'm the worst person in the world then. I don't usually post the minutiae of my family's day or what my kids says, but I did the other day because I had experience a poignant moment when my daughter told me she loved me for the first time ever and was uberjoyful, so I shared it. I am wicked and horrible.
    Probably not. You already said you don't do it often. I was really talking about those who CONSTANTLY club you over the head with it, as in every single day.

Turn Off Ads?