Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Facebook pet peeves

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Facebook pet peeves

I'm to the point where I block anyone an FB who is pregnant. Pregnant women on FB are a huge pet peeve of mine -- so many of them overshare every detail of the pregnancy (cravings, kicks, etc.) and subject my timeline to barrages of ultrasound pictures and (worse) pictures of them in "artful" poses exposing their stomachs as they go along.

Each of these posts always floats to the top of my timeline because, inevitably, all of their girlfriends post comment after comment all following the same general structure:

1. "Lookin' / Looking good mama!"
    2. "I can't wait to meet him/her." (really -- you "meet" an infant?)
    3. "I remember when I went through (insert aspect of pregnancy here) and how much I hated/liked it!"
    4. "It's all worthwhile once you can hold him/her"

It's nonsense and attention-seeking drivel.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post

Top of my list is when people pronounce to the world how much they love their significant other or their kids I just don't see why everyone else needs to know that. Those are private things that should be said in person, which I'm sure they are, but announcing to the FB universe just seems like showboating to me.

That is a huge one for me too.

Like this:
    I am choosing not to play basketball in order to spend time with my girlfriend. But please don't tell her...

My other big one vague posts and especially when vague posts are merely an attempt to get people to ask "oh what's wrong?"

Here are some actual examples from my news feed in the last month:

So... I heard something today that I never ever even imagined I would hear. The question now is... what do I do with it? Crushed is not even close to how I feel.
    Punch yourself

Is this really how it goes?
    Yes, please die.

Its finally time to cut down my friends list.
    I hope I'm first.

It never ceases to amaze me what my so-called friends will do or say... I want to say thanks to those who are my real friends.
    I hope one of your so called friends just gave you cancer of the AIDs of the eyes.

On my way to the ER... I sure hope they can fix me
    Oh that's not gonna get 100 "what happened???!!!!!" comments.

You're on my mind, and you.probably already knew it..
    It's probably wrong to pray for a plane crash.

its sad but things like this happen all the time. People just never keep their word anymore.
    You're right I've got to actually start planning your death.

Some of those were from the same person and some of them were from people that I'm friends with because they are friends with my wife and sent a friend request. I used to ignore them but then when you see that person you have to have the "why haven't you accepted my friend request conversation" and I don't have the balls to just say "because I don't give damn about your life".

I enjoy Facebook, so I don't think not using it at all is the answer. I have used the "unsubscribe" feature on occasion but some of the people that make these ridiculous vague posts are friends and family who are seemingly normal well adjusted people in real life and I don't want to miss everything they post.

I've posted on my Facebook before: Context people! If you're going to post things about your life give me context, don't make vague posts in which I have to try to decipher what or who the hell you're talking about.

I can't be alone in this thinking.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 06-13-2012 at 01:38 PM.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Probably not. You already said you don't do it often. I was really talking about those who CONSTANTLY club you over the head with it, as in every single day.
    This is my thought. It's usually from people who I know well enough to know that's probably not really who they are. It's the ones who go so over the top with it that, like Pedro said, act like are the only ones who love their family.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    TMBS, I do like FB for being able to keep up with friends in other cities. I've moved around a lot in my life and it's nice to have a single place to communicate with friends.
    FB has been great for reconnecting with old high school and college friends. As annoying as it can be, I still enjoy it for the most part.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    My other big one vague posts and especially when vague posts are merely an attempt to get people to ask "oh what's wrong?"
    Ooooo, that's a good one. The cryptic messages where people think they're being clever but are just begging for attention. My 15 year old has a habit of this one.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar
    Constant memes. I like goofy crap as much as the next guy but 10 posts in a row about cats or zombies or Lebron. Stop.

Also YouTube music videos over and over and over.
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    FB has been great for reconnecting with old high school and college friends. As annoying as it can be, I still enjoy it for the most part.
    Same here. I've reconnected with people I hadn't seen since graduation who were an important part of my teen years. That's been awesome. Before Facebook, it's likely I never would have heard from them again unless both of us went to our class reunions.

I dropped out of Facebook mainly because it was just a place to brag about kids and grandkids. Also for much of the silly inane things that some of you pointed out. I figured that if any of these friends really wanted to contact me after I dropped out of the FB world they would. It's been about a year now and I haven't heard a thing from any of these so called friends.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'm to the point where I block anyone an FB who is pregnant. Pregnant women on FB are a huge pet peeve of mine -- so many of them overshare every detail of the pregnancy (cravings, kicks, etc.) and subject my timeline to barrages of ultrasound pictures and (worse) pictures of them in "artful" poses exposing their stomachs as they go along.

Each of these posts always floats to the top of my timeline because, inevitably, all of their girlfriends post comment after comment all following the same general structure:

1. "Lookin' / Looking good mama!"
    2. "I can't wait to meet him/her." (really -- you "meet" an infant?)
    3. "I remember when I went through (insert aspect of pregnancy here) and how much I hated/liked it!"
    4. "It's all worthwhile once you can hold him/her"

It's nonsense and attention-seeking drivel.
    I was going to post this exact same thing. I'm 29 now and it seems like every woman that I know has had or is having a baby. Some stuff that gets posted is just crazy. I have one person that posts incredible details about breast feeding and her thoughts on organic diapers.

My wife and I use it mostly to share information and photos with family members and very close friends. If I see too many status updates or things that I don't like from an individual, I just block their posts from appearing on my feed. Just like I'd expect people that don't want to see pictures of my daughter to block my posts.

You can customize Facebook pretty much however you want.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Same here. I've reconnected with people I hadn't seen since graduation who were an important part of my teen years. That's been awesome. Before Facebook, it's likely I never would have heard from them again unless both of us went to our class reunions.
    I was talking to some friends a while back about how Facebook is probably killing high school reunions. I wasn't able to go to my 10 year last year, but out of class of almost 300 I believe only 25 or 30 people went. I have to believe that would not have been the case 5 or 10 years ago.

Constant political commentary. I have friends of all political persuasions and some of them feel the need to lead their own internet crusade. I'm all for the occasional political post/discussion, but when my entire feed is spammed up with your rants I tend to make you disappear. One of my friends created his own political persona where he keeps most of his controversial posts; I wish more people would do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I was talking to some friends a while back about how Facebook is probably killing high school reunions. I wasn't able to go to my 10 year last year, but out of class of almost 300 I believe only 25 or 30 people went. I have to believe that would not have been the case 5 or 10 years ago.
    Same here. My 20 year is later this month, or next month, I don't remember. But I had little desire to go and am gonna sit this one out. Were it not for FB I'd probably not have missed it. Everyone I have any interest in seeing I've caught up with on FB.
    Last edited by MWM; 06-13-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I'll bet private high schools love that trend -- I'm pretty sure "reunion" to them is just a code word for "get people nostalgic enough to open up their wallets."
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I think another obvious one is people who are always preaching religion and quoting scripture. I have no problem at all with their beliefs and passion for those beliefs. But to preach to everyone is generally very condescending and self righteous. It just comes across as "hey everyone, look how righteous and spiritual I am."

Turn Off Ads?