Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Facebook pet peeves

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Facebook pet peeves

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    What am I allowed to post about?
    Hot girls. Baseball.

The only posts that bother me are the overly political ones. From either side. I just don't like politics. It brings out the worst in people.

2. Turn Off Ads?

What am I allowed to post about?
    I read all your posts, dude. You use Facebook like its supposed to be. You'd be a really good example for others.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

There are so many pet peeves that I have when it comes to Facebook that it would take too long to list them all. They include:

-People who use jokes or sayings from a comedian and try to pass them off as their own
    -People who try to be witty all the time
    -People who think you want to know what they think about current news events and how awful they think they are
    -Pretty much anything people try to pass off as inspiring
    -People who tell you all about what their kids are doing
    -Hipsters and thier stupid quotes and instagram photos
    -People who think they are photographers because of instagram or because they have a nice camera
    -"I'm so ugly" posts
    -Hipsters again
    -Teenagers and college kids who think they can give meaningful life advice

Thats enough for now I believe. I really don't like Facebook. Probably don't really like people either. Except you people, you're cool.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I read all your posts, dude. You use Facebook like its supposed to be. You'd be a really good example for others.
    Ok so song lyrics, beard experiments,and updating the constant battle between Votto the cat and Joey Votto are acceptable? Score!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

updating the constant battle between Votto the cat and Joey Votto are acceptable? Score!
    This sounds like a youtube channel that could make tons of money!

Votto Huckleberry Raisor goes on the kitten disabled list today. He's having surgery that he isn't going to be happy about, but should be back at then od the 15 days. Joey needs this time to get back in the race as he is far behind in the win column.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Along those lines: the prayer requests. "Dear friends, my beloved hamster Murray is going in for surgery on his impacted tooth today. Please send prayers."
    OOOH! Here's a real one I saw a couple of years ago.

"Hoping for a reasonable estimate on the chimney repairs. Please send prayers."
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I'll admit, I don't use facebook, but can't you just unfollow someone if all they post are pictures about their kids that you don't care about? Does Facebook automatically show you the pictures that others post on their page? Can you just turn that off? In my world, I'd only see the pictures you post on your page if I go to your page, perhaps that's not how FB works.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I'll admit, I don't use facebook, but can't you just unfollow someone if all they post are pictures about their kids that you don't care about? Does Facebook automatically show you the pictures that others post on their page? Can you just turn that off? In my world, I'd only see the pictures you post on your page if I go to your page, perhaps that's not how FB works.
    Yes, you can hide people from your news feed without defriending them and they never know about it. You can also do the reverse and have your own profile on limited view (e.g., no status updates, no pictures) to certain people you're friends with.

I have so many people hidden from my news feed, including almost everyone I went to high school with, that I wonder why I even keep them on as friends. The people who can't see much of what I post are current/former work colleagues and, bizarrely, some family members, because I don't want to get into it with them politically. And I don't even say much politically on Facebook. Facebook is a weird world. I hate the interface so much now that I'd drop it completely if it weren't such a simple way to keep updated on the people I do care about.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Votto Huckleberry Raisor goes on the kitten disabled list today. He's having surgery that he isn't going to be happy about, but should be back at then od the 15 days. Joey needs this time to get back in the race as he is far behind in the win column.
    Prayers sent.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

-40-year old women posing for pics of themselves on a daily basis. At dinner. New dress. At the pool. In the mirror. FB has killed the next reunion for me. I had no desire to see 50% of the self-indulgent people I grew up with. Now, it's pretty much 90% of them.

-The multiple teeny-bopper and 20-something cousins that take pics of themselves in the mirror and stick out their lips in the pouty Olson twin look. Daily. And someone always takes the bait and posts, "you are soooo pretty....." or "U shld be a model...OMG!!11!1".

-The multiple teeny-bopper and 20-something cousins that drop f-bombs (or worse) for the world to see and whine about everything. Drama.

-The vague posts screaming for "what's wrong?" responses. Drama.

-"I'm going to the gym." Good for you.

-"Cruisin' in the 'vette tonight." We get it, you have a Corvette. Kewl.

-"I think I'm going to get a new tat today". Great, you're 19 and can barely feed the newborn that you have, you should definitely go out and get a new tat.

-"Look how cute my kid is." (self-pic taken in the mirror holding child and showing off new tat). Sample of responses: "Ur such a great Mom." "She's sooo cute." "Nice tat." "Ur hot!!11!!

-Amway friend. "Sign up for this." Nope. Blockage.

-FB was really pretty great in the beginning, but now it's been ruined by people like this. In a way, it's kind of useful though. It's helped separate people I wouldn't mind keeping in touch with or running into and those that I will run the other way if I happen to see them walking in my direction. I would say that it's created an entire generation of monsters, but it's not limited to one age group and I'm pretty sure these people were like this to begin with. It's just highlights the sad situation of our culture today. A bunch of whiney, insecure, megalomaniacs fishing for compliments on a daily basis. It's like crack for monsters.

Thank you Facebook. I hate you Facebook. Why can't I quit you?
    Last edited by BuckeyeRedleg; 06-15-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    OOOH! Here's a real one I saw a couple of years ago.

"Hoping for a reasonable estimate on the chimney repairs. Please send prayers."
    Can we just turn this thread into status updates we read like this one?

I'm not sure why but Facebook has gotten a lot less usable lately. It seems like everything is people liking pictures from pages like "BIG FUNNY ALL THE TIME" and "SUPER SAD SOLDIERS" that have millions of followers.

After watching what's happened to Reddit I'm starting to think any community will turn into an image board, given enough growth.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    After watching what's happened to Reddit I'm starting to think any community will turn into an image board, given enough growth.
    That could explain the popularity of Pinterest, which I have no interest in but my wife loves.

I do admit that I'm sometimes guilty of "liking" a funny card or photo on FB though, in lieu of having anything worthwhile to say.
    Last edited by RichRed; 06-15-2012 at 02:50 PM.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

One of my friends constantly posts about how either she is sick or her kids are sick or how horrible her kids are, pretty sure she has Munchhausen syndrome.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

People who complain about Facebook and still check it everyday

Turn Off Ads?